martin chivers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My dad says on his day big chiv was unplayable but he did struggle against the hard men. Also still raves that gilzean was the best header of a football he has ever seen........back when footballs were heavier as well!

I often wonder about that and his eventual tragic death from a brain tumour. Jeff Astle also suffered 'minor traumas' to his brain and death by industrial injury was given as the cause of his demise. It was also talked about regarding the passing of the great Danny Blanchflower who died of Alzheimer's disease in December 1993.

That ball on a wet day was like heading a cannonball. I remember playing and it was pissing down with rain and the pitch was waterlogged, puddles everywhere. We were awarded a corner and I took it. Instead of a short one I tried to get it into the box and did my hamstring lumping the bloody thing skyward.

My dad says on his day big chiv was unplayable but he did struggle against the hard men. Also still raves that gilzean was the best header of a football he has ever seen........back when footballs were heavier as well!
Agree about Gilzean. What I remember about him was everyone in the ground including the opposition knew when we had a throw near the corner flag and Chivers took his time to come up and take it that it would be a long throw to Gilzean. Despite them marking him he still got the ball and sometimes scored direct. He was that good that he frequently scored from Chivers long throws.

I saw a recording of Spurs-Liverpool on a VHS tape. Chivers near the start of the game ran up and kicked 'hard man' Tommy Sm ith. It was a sore one, ref gave a foul.
Free kick went to Smith and Chiv ran up and kicked him again. Ref took Chivers' name. Tommy Smith had to go off injured. Must have been some previous. Spurs went on to win.
Great memories!

I often wonder about that and his eventual tragic death from a brain tumour. Jeff Astle also suffered 'minor traumas' to his brain and death by industrial injury was given as the cause of his demise. It was also talked about regarding the passing of the great Danny Blanchflower who died of Alzheimer's disease in December 1993.

That ball on a wet day was like heading a cannonball. I remember playing and it was pissing down with rain and the pitch was waterlogged, puddles everywhere. We were awarded a corner and I took it. Instead of a short one I tried to get it into the box and did my hamstring lumping the bloody thing skyward.

Article on BBC Sport today.... would seem to back up this theory.

Back
Top Bottom