Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good signing if true because it means Aurier is definitely leaving and also we won’t be signing that clown from the Chinese league

Couple of questions...

Seen the YouTube vids and he looks great going forward, I've seen some question the defensive side to his game. Is that fair?

Why has he got so few caps for Ireland (9, didnt make his debut till 2018)?

Couple of questions...

Seen the YouTube vids and he looks great going forward, I've seen some question the defensive side to his game. Is that fair?

That's a good point actually, Bill.
I may have bèen a bit premature with my enthusiasm

Couple of questions...

Was a bit shite I guess

This is our level now mate

Doherty will fulfil a fundamental position to the way Jose wants us to play. And with his signing, I think we are putting together a pretty respectable spine of a team: Lloris, Toby, Doherty, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Son and Kane - Jose will try to maintain the team's identity through them.

Ben Davies is also a first team player, but I woudn't put him in the same category. Dier and Sanchez and Lucas and Bergwijn will be fighting for positions at CB and RW. And in my opinion, Dele Alli and Harry Winks will also be fighting for one place - the midfield will be Winks-Hojbjerg, with Lo Celso as a 10, or Lo Celso-Hojbjerg, with Dele Alli as a 10.

Add to that two backup GK's, Sissoko, Lamela and the new backup striker and we are talking about a solid group of 19 players. Then Foyth, Tanganga, Gedson, Sess, Cirkin and perhaps a couple of other young players will complete the squad.

(Nobody knows about Ndombele's future yet, so I left him out).

It's definitely getting better.

Doherty will fulfil a fundamental position to the way Jose wants us to play. And with his signing, I think we are putting together a pretty respectable spine of a team: Lloris, Toby, Doherty, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Son and Kane - Jose will try to maintain the team's identity through them.

Ben Davies is also a first team player, but I woudn't put him in quite the same category. Dier and Sanchez and Lucas and Bergwijn will be fighting for positions at CB and RW. And in my opinion, Dele Alli and Harry Winks will also be fighting for one place - the midfield will be Winks-Hojbjerg, with Lo Celso as a 10, or Lo Celso-Hojbjerg, with Dele Alli as a 10.

Add to that two backup GK's, Sissoko, Lamela and the new backup striker and we are talking about a solid group of 19 players. Then Foyth, Tanganga, Gedson, Sess, Cirkin and perhaps a couple of other young players will complete the squad. (Nobody knows about Ndombele's future yet, so I left him out).

It's definitely getting better.
we need more. I'm very happy with Doherty but a back up striker. cb namely skrinier and get kondogbia on the cheap to fill Ndombele's position if he goes.

Couple of questions...

I'd say he's much better going forward than Serge, which seems to be key for the RB in Mou's system.

He's not as good of a tackler as Aurier nor anywhere near as athletic. His defensive numbers are worse, but a good portion of that is the system and role he is in. His positioning generally tends to be better than Aurier and he doesn't seem to make the same boneheaded mistakes.

Overall I think he's marginally better defensively overall compared Aurier but much better offensively.

To your second point - can't get past Seamus Coleman for Ireland, apparently. Granted, I think Coleman was one of the better RBs in the Premier League for a few seasons, and Doherty is more of a RWB than RB.

Couple of questions...

The Irish national team since Jackie left has been a shit show of huge proportions. But let's hear from the man himself.

Waiting on sammyspurs sammyspurs to confirm if he’s better or worse than Chillwel
Should come through around 5-45am

giphy.gif

This feels like that one day where the Hojbjerg train really sped up. So I expect a Wolves friendly journo to say nothing is happening tomorrow, then more reports of it for sure happening Friday, with a medical on Monday and an announcement on Tuesday.
Followed by the usual post-signing celebration on here on Wednesday

297872_v1.gif

Great deal if this comes off.

Doherty looks like one of the best attacking options available and is prem proven unlike the Celik/Castange links. More to the point, if it means I don't have to watch another 40 games of Aurier's buffoonery then I'm a happy boy.

Doherty and Hojberg added to the first XI immediately make the team more functional and robust and I'm all for it.

I don't think we will sign another full back as we have Gedson/Tanganga as options and could potentially switch the attacking full back to the left (Sess) and play Foyth/Dier at right back in desperate situations. (This hasn't really been seen but could work in theory)

It would be nice to have another dedicated option but if we can get as many games out of Doherty as we did out of Serge then it will be okay imo. I think the rest of the window will be spent focusing on other areas.

The big unknowns now remain Ndombele's future and whether or not we get the mystical back-up striker in.

I know they differ in age, but I can't quite wrap my head around the idea that KWP and Doherty would go for almost the same amount of money

Back
Top Bottom