Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disagree.
He was up against Richarlison and he played smart against him until late in the game when he tired.
Nearly scored, was unpredictable unlike Aurier
Yeah? I didn't think he was that great defensively. We were plenty open in the first half. But I am not angry with his performance. Thought he looked rather good going forward and was happy with that.

Thought he looked decent in that first half. I still think we need 2 good options for every position so would like to sign another right-back if Serge leaves.

Or we'll be seeing Sissoko at right-back again a lot more and that's not a good thing.

Thought he was very good today, but he was obviously tired when he came off.
Can't say I agree. Had two good attacks, I do like his ability to come inside (I wasn't sure if this was someting Nuno wanted him to do or was what he dose, looks like it's him as Aurier by example tends to stay out wide. This adds an extra body to attack and as we saw today when he linked with Kane he got a shot off) but lost all bar one of his defensive actions!! And to avoid any confusion, I'm not talking about how they attacked the space behind him with Richarldson whilst he was pushed up, I'm talking about his 1v1 duels. He was very slow to close down space and shots and crosses were executed without so much as a wafting aimless leg.

He will bring something new in attack, especially if he plays narrow and looks to get into the box, this is what he did at Wolves.

Not his fault but Jose's: Who has just said that he was fucked as he didn't have a pre-season and played 2 back to back internationals! So why not play Aurier for this game then??

He was more impressive going forward and equally as poor defensively without the lack of effort and dumb plays compared to Aurier so for me even though it was far from perfect it was a big upgrade over Aurier.

You can clearly see he is a WB much more than a FB at this point and he will need to work on the defensive side of his game, but considering this was his first game in a long time being asked to be a FB I will give him time to work on that part of his game. At least he made up for it with being very good going forward.

Can't say I agree. Had two good attacks, I do like his ability to come inside (I wasn't sure if this was someting Nuno wanted him to do or was what he dose, looks like it's him as Aurier by example tends to stay out wide. This adds an extra body to attack and as we saw today when he linked with Kane he got a shot off) but lost all bar one of his defensive actions!! And to avoid any confusion, I'm not talking about how they attacked the space behind him with Richarldson whilst he was pushed up, I'm talking about his 1v1 duels. He was very slow to close down space and shots and crosses were executed without so much as a wafting aimless leg.

He will bring something new in attack, especially if he plays narrow and looks to get into the box, this is what he did at Wolves.

Not his fault but Jose's: Who has just said that he was fucked as he didn't have a pre-season and played 2 back to back internationals! So why not play Aurier for this game then??

Because Aurier is terrible.

Perhaps because a 50% Doherty is twice the player that a 100% Aurier is?
Aurier would have been SLAUGHTERED if he'd allowed Richarlison to just walk past him 5 times for a free shot on goal like Doherty did today.

Double standards already showing here.

He was good offensively, should have scored though. Total nothing in defence. No idea what he was doing.

But worst of all - Mourinho name dropping him in the post match conference as if he was the main reason we lost or something... come on ffs.

Aurier should have started today to allow Doherty to gel with the team and get fit, so he'd have a good debut with full fitness.

Mou said he had one day of training with the team. He finished the season very late with Wolves, went straight into to Ireland games after his holidays and then came to us to train for this match.

He has been a very consistent and effective player for Wolves and today I saw the qualities he will bring, physically he just needs to improve his fitness. I’m not worried about him at all, he will be a good signing for us. There were players out there who played much worse than Doherty.

If you watched him struggle to complete 75 mins, lose all bar one of his 1v1's clearly that's not the case.

But hey, you will, of course, think that Jose got it 100% spot on today.
Open your eyes, FFS!!

I have already said on many occasions today that Mourinho got it wrong. Badly wrong.

Do you come on here with preconceived ideas of what posters have written? You should perhaps stop that nonsense and read the posts, you'll enjoy the forum a lot more I think.

Mou said he had one day of training with the team. He finished the season very late with Wolves, went straight into to Ireland games after his holidays and then came to us to train for this match.

He has been a very consistent and effective player for Wolves and today I saw the qualities he will bring, physically he just needs to improve his fitness. I’m not worried about him at all, he will be a good signing for us. There were players out there who played much worse than Doherty.

It's Jose talking shit, Everton had players who barely trained with them after signing this week.

He'll always have his excuses that's part of his personality and will never change.

Because Aurier is terrible.
Sorry mate but his performance today was a way off what Aurier brings.

In time he may prove himself to be the better, let's see. (I've already stated my position when we signed him, I think he's a good RB, I think Aurier is a good RB. They both have different +/-, I think we have strengthened if we have both, if we sell Auier we are no different than we were last season).

But to play an unfit Doherty in what was a completly lackluster game just was one of the reasons we were so lackluster. Not Doherty's fault but Jose's.

Open your eyes, FFS!!

I have already said on many occasions today that Mourinho got it wrong. Badly wrong.

Do you come on here with preconceived ideas of what posters have written? You should perhaps stop that nonsense and read the posts, you'll enjoy the forum a lot more I think.
I don't read what you write John.

Sorry mate but his performance today was a way off what Aurier brings.

In time he may prove himself to be the better, let's see. (I've already stated my position when we signed him, I think he's a good RB, I think Aurier is a good RB. They both have different +/-, I think we have strengthened if we have both, if we sell Auier we are no different than we were last season).

But to play an unfit Doherty in what was a completly lackluster game just was one of the reasons we were so lackluster. Not Doherty's fault but Jose's.

His game was better than the vast majority, if not all, of Auriers games for us.

He was much better attacking that Aurier ever was and defensively he wasn't any worse, actually made an effort and didn't make the moronic plays that Aurier constantly makes.

It wasn't a masterclass but much better than what we get with Aurier.

I don't read what you write John.
Yet you reply to what I write?

tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom