Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's not playing well. his positioning is worse than Aurier's. Jose needs to sort this fast
He just doesn't seem to give a shit at times. Saw him just leave the ball for the opponents once or twice instead of closing down.

Hope it's just legs. But poor, poor effort.

Also got destroyed by one of their players pirouette, should be doing better as an experienced defender.

I am not judging him at all and I am giving him all the time he needs to settle.

Genuine question to the tactic experts: what is his position?

Wasn't good today, however.......

He's moved from a club that he'd been at since he was a kid.
New manager
New tactics
New formation
New team mates
New methods of coaching
New surroundings
No real time on the training pitch (Match every 2 or 3 days)

I'm going to give him a few months before I judge him.

Won't judge him until we have an actual settled system, our best players playing in said system and a run of games under his belt. He's gone from playing under a well drilled coach in Esperito Santo, playing as a wing back with 3 centre backs and 2 defensive midfielders to playing in a back 4 with no support.

First half he played in a high line with absolutely no help and was told to defend narrow.

Second half, we as a team were a whole lot deeper, he got more support and didn't look AS troubled as he did in the second half. The penalty decision was a joke too.

Do think having Prem experience is helping him though in the 'abuse' department. If Aurier put in the performances he did against Everton and today, there would have been 3 pages added to his thread.

He certainly has talent going forward and does enough good things in that regard that he should continue to get chances for us.

I am not sure he is any worse than Aurier, not any better either, defensively but doesn't have the stupidity that Aurier brings with him.

I think its worth giving him more time because it is clear that he is a wing back and will need to adjust to being used as a fullback. While the positions are similar I think it is clear he is still adjusting to making that switch.

I will hold out hope that by Christmas we will seem some improvement from him in that regard although I don't think his one on one defending will be anything more than passable, which would be a big upgrade on what we have seen so far.

Oh look another player who doesn’t deserve time....
Can someone explain to me how this works again?
Dele deserves 4 years
Ndombele 2 years
Gedson 200 minutes
Doherty three games

What’s the rules here?

I thought he was okay today actually.

There were two iffy moments in the second half that will definitely need to be ironed out as could be punished by better opposition:

- Carelessly gave the ball away trying a nutmeg and then just sort of half jogging back
- Moment in the corner with Winks where Joelinton beat them both

I don't think he's helped by the fact we have Winks AND Hojbjerg in the middle though. He's gone from having Moutinho and Neves spreading diagonal balls and defence splitting passes to his bursting runs down the right to having Winks and Hojbjerg passing to him sideways and wanting him to do the rest.

Problem is that will hinder Reguilon too - though Reguilon is abit more aggressive and nippy so more likely to beat a man and whip it in than Doherty is - but we saw promising moments in the last two games from both Ndombele and Lo Celso that got the full backs in. One where Lo Celso played a lovely ball to allow Davies in, who then squandered the chance and Ndombeles defence splitting pass to Aurier in the EL.

I think having both Reguilon and Doherty on the pitch will help both men though - we just need to make sure we can utilise both men correctly by having that creative player in there.

I thought he was okay today actually.

There were two iffy moments in the second half that will definitely need to be ironed out as could be punished by better opposition:

- Carelessly gave the ball away trying a nutmeg and then just sort of half jogging back
- Moment in the corner with Winks where Joelinton beat them both

I don't think he's helped by the fact we have Winks AND Hojbjerg in the middle though. He's gone from having Moutinho and Neves spreading diagonal balls and defence splitting passes to his bursting runs down the right to having Winks and Hojbjerg passing to him sideways and wanting him to do the rest.

Problem is that will hinder Reguilon too - though Reguilon is abit more aggressive and nippy so more likely to beat a man and whip it in than Doherty is - but we saw promising moments in the last two games from both Ndombele and Lo Celso that got the full backs in. One where Lo Celso played a lovely ball to allow Davies in, who then squandered the chance and Ndombeles defence splitting pass to Aurier in the EL.

I think having both Reguilon and Doherty on the pitch will help both men though - we just need to make sure we can utilise both men correctly by having that creative player in there.

Generally agree....

One caveat.... Late in the game he lost the ball high up the pitch and literally stopped and watched. Pissed me right off.

Certainly a step up from Aurier. Makes good inside runs into their area. Always a threat.
With Holberg they have definitely improved our team
Reguilon and hopefully Skriniar will really change the team.
New striker and we will have what looks like a team to definitely challenge top four.
Will be far superior to the team which finished last season.
Barring ridiculous injuries and we will have a very good season.

Think he looks good, but the penalty awarded against him was so much worse than the Newcastle won, genuine the worst penalty I have seen awarded

You can see he's smart going forward and will grab afew goals this season
Can we risk playing him at Old Trafford? Liable to get fucked for a hat-trick of handballs against him. Farcical officiating and rules.

Back
Top Bottom