Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not totally sold on Doherty yet, anyone else have an opinion on him?

Same as you. He hasn't been the revelation at RB I was looking for. He hasn't been particularly bad, but he hasn't been good either. Also looks like a potential liability defensively, so it may be a case of playing him against weaker teams and using Aurier against teams with strong attacks down our right hand side.

That's more penalties that Aurier conceded last season, no? Get rid!
Aurier conceded once from a Mane dive though. So cant blame him for that. Still prefer him to Doherty cause he tries to win every ball instead of letting people cross easily into the box and let the CBs deal with it. Trippier used to have the same passive defending mentality as Doherty and it really irked me how often the balls would get crossed in from his side against us.

Not going to lie id rather start Aurier against United. There's very little difference between the two.
Individual nuances aside my take has always been they are in the same bracket as players. (It's really good for us to have two good FB's).

But right now (putting it down to Doherty settling in) Aurier is much the superior player. Defensively Doherty has been quite shit, was skinned and played around a number of occasions last night and the oppo also exploited the space between Sanchez and him. This isn't good.

And given playing pushed up they exploited the space behind him last night. To quantify this further this space is always open to being exploited (just as it is behind TAA regularly) the difference between Aurier and Doherty however is Auirer covers that space, he's able to make recovery runs that Doherty simply doesn't do.

It's funny because Doherty has given away the same amount of penalties this season as Aurier did last season and we are 6 games in.

From what I've seen just this season, Aurier is better and if we are rewarding performance, Aurier should probably start against Utd in all honesty.

But I don't actually mind what I've seen of Doherty so far, few lapses beside.

Neither penalty can be pinned on him , he's looked OK in general , I'd put him and hoijberg in the same category so far

Both have looked reasonably solid if unspectacular but early days

Neither penalty can be pinned on him , he's looked OK in general , I'd put him and hoijberg in the same category so far

Both have looked reasonably solid if unspectacular but early days

Yes but the 2 penalties Aurier got given against him were as much of a joke.

Mane kicked his leg and he got the ball against Aguero.

It was nothing more than agenda against Aurier. Mostly due to his personal character before he signed for Spurs.

He did some stupid stuff. Silly passes when in his own half etc. But no more than most of our awful defence at times yet the vitriol towards Aurier was horrendous.

He's finding his feet in our team. It's all new. Got to give him time. At the moment, yes, Aurier looks better, and he's better because he's got competition. That's brilliant. Nearly every player now has a challenger. We've needed that forever and here it is.

Yes but the 2 penalties Aurier got given against him were as much of a joke.

Mane kicked his leg and he got the ball against Aguero.

It was nothing more than agenda against Aurier. Mostly due to his personal character before he signed for Spurs.

He did some stupid stuff. Silly passes when in his own half etc. But no more than most of our awful defence at times yet the vitriol towards Aurier was horrendous.
Giving away pens was less of an issue with Aurier last year , he cost us more goals with poor positional play and shoddy clearances

I don't personally agree that his criticism was for non football related reasons but if you believe that then fair enough

He's finding his feet in our team. It's all new. Got to give him time. At the moment, yes, Aurier looks better, and he's better because he's got competition. That's brilliant. Nearly every player now has a challenger. We've needed that forever and here it is.

Yep. It was nice to see Davies get 2 assists yesterday. The same amount he's got over the last 2 seasons.

Back
Top Bottom