Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good game but did not need to do much defending and until he can produce a good performance against a team that will dominate us like Chelsea then he is still on my leave list.

When we dont need to defend, we can get away with playing doherty.

Made a couple of decent runs in the box fucked it up both times but at least his chest control was so bad that the keeper couldnt deal with it.

Could be a decent bench option against the shit sides if we are dominating them. Better than emerson today

I don't rate him and want him replaced ASAP but...he actually has an instinct for attack that Emerson does not have at all. And because of this, he plays better at RWB than Emerson can.

Just by knowing when to get forward and making some runs, Doherty gave Leicester some problems. Now imagine a real winger in that position...

He did well tonight. Pleased for him. He’s had a very tough time since he came here. Think he’s a decent enough lad, albeit a limited enough footballer.

Some of you still can't admit that Doherty made a big impact to the game, played one of the best games for us. And we didn't expect that. Thankfully he did.

Some of you will never be happy. Lets just be happy for Matt's performance, even if its temporary.

He was very good for his level today. Made some good plays and some Doherty plays. Not close to good enough or an answer but nice to see something positive out of him.

The best of our RWB options, unless we are moving Stevie B there.

30 year old back-up RWB - not sure which clubs have better - that said we need our 23 year old RB to improve or we need a 25/26 year old RB/RWB to add to the squad, with Doherty remaining a back-up or leaving.

Is Traore the answer? maybe

30 year old back-up RWB - not sure which clubs have better - that said we need our 23 year old RB to improve or we need a 25/26 year old RB/RWB to add to the squad, with Doherty remaining a back-up or leaving.

Off the top of my head City, Chelsea, Liverpool, United, Leicester, West Ham, Brighton.

Could be others.

No Traore is awful. Omg can’t believe we are discussing Traore. If anyone has watched him play the last two seasons one game should be enough to realize he is a terrible football player at this level.

Probably his best game in a Spurs shirt. Even though he still never really looks all that comfortable on the ball. Definitely not the long term answer. Happy for him though and as much as I was annoyed seeing him come on at the half had he not We probably wouldn’t have won today.

Doherty should be our 1st choice RWB at the moment IMO... perhaps using Emerson for specific matches against the top 6 where we actually need 5 defenders.

Doherty (like any player), needs a run of matches to find some form.

Oh jeez I'm seeing glimpses of people starting to think "hang on a minute - have we got a player here in Doherty?"

Leicester made him look half decent. Fair play he got himself in the mixer near the end and through more luck than judgement, played a massive part in a goal for us.

Perhaps Conte will remind everyone of the reality of the situation by starting him against Chelsea again.

For me he starts vs Chelsea.
When we expect the other team to dominate us, which Chelsea will (their midfield is 10 times better than ours), then Doherty is a no go. When we dont have the ball much, hes useless (which is why he failed miserably with mourinho, we were always defending and hes a shit defender).

Next time we dominate a team, he comes back on the pitch (if we dont have a better option)

When we expect the other team to dominate us, which Chelsea will (their midfield is 10 times better than ours), then Doherty is a no go. When we dont have the ball much, hes useless (which is why he failed miserably with mourinho, we were always defending and hes a shit defender).

Next time we dominate a team, he comes back on the pitch (if we dont have a better option)

I basically agree but I don't think we can have Tanganga and Emerson on the right again. It's so bad.

Back
Top Bottom