Milan players leave pitch after racial abuse

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It is good on them but I wonder how they would have reacted if it had been a Serie A match. It isn't the first instance of racism in Italian football, after all.

Another incident to pressure Dumb and Dumber, sorry Blatter and Platini, to actually deal with racism in football.*

*NB another incident that Dumb and Dumber, sorry Blatter and Platini, will totally ignore.

the fact they've done it, and it's out there in the public, means that it will probably happen in bigger games, particularly as UEFA has changed the ruling enabling teams to leave the pitch.

The cynic in me can see this being used tactically! :avblol:

Sepp Blatter thinks it can be cured with a handshake? I mean seriously, how on earth is this bloke governing the greatest sport in the world? He needs a punch in the face if he genuinely believes that.

The clubs need to back the players. Until there are boycotts against certain teams with racist fans then it will keep on happening. Either that or those fans are not allowed to games (e.g. those Lazio c*nts being forced to play behind closed doors).

F***** plants "racists" in away grounds who start racially abusing a U***** player in the 95th minute if U***** are down even after F***** Time?

Suppose it depends what happens to the result of the game. The game simply being abandoned and having to be played again behind closed doors wouldn't work, for the reason you highlight here. If it was a mandatory defeat by a four goal margin it might help. I dunno, there are probably still problems with it.

Maybe I'm being naive but I'm not really sure walking off is the right thing to do. Of course I wouldn't want anyone to have to suffer the abuse and be expected not to react but by walking off, but does that not just give the racists that dish out the abuse incentive to do it to the players in other games? I mean, why would it stop someone who is so wrong in the head from doing it again?

Unless players like Boateng are doing it to force UEFA/FIFA/Police whoever to take action against these people, but again, what is that going to achieve? Are you ever going to be able to ban every racist/abusive fan in the world from getting into watch a game? Not unless you get some Minority Report style retina scanners on the turnstiles....

Maybe I'm being naive but I'm not really sure walking off is the right thing to do. Of course I wouldn't want anyone to have to suffer the abuse and be expected not to react but by walking off, but does that not just give the racists that dish out the abuse incentive to do it to the players in other games? I mean, why would it stop someone who is so wrong in the head from doing it again?

Unless players like Boateng are doing it to force UEFA/FIFA/Police whoever to take action against these people, but again, what is that going to achieve? Are you ever going to be able to ban every racist/abusive fan in the world from getting into watch a game? Not unless you get some Minority Report style retina scanners on the turnstiles....
Nah I think you're just over thinking it. KPB was getting racist abuse from fans so he just said fuck it and walked off. That's what I would have done to be honest.

Would Judas be entitled to walk off due to the abuse he got or is it just racism? Would Ade and his song be enough?

I am not trying to be awkward just want an opinion on this? Mine is it is a slippery slope and open to abuse ( teams walking off when losing) and i feel only the ref should stop the game.

Also feel a little uneasy with the outrage when it was only a few decades ago it was happening in english ground, only with social opinion chnaging and police action did it change.

I think what you're missing, is that walking off the pitch isn't something that'll be done every time. It's a statement that players won't take it, not something that'll be done every time there is abuse.

I think what you're missing, is that walking off the pitch isn't something that'll be done every time. It's a statement that players won't take it, not something that'll be done every time there is abuse.
Yeah, I spent much of this morning working out the game theory implications of marching off the pitch as a tactical ploy, and it'd be a mess (and cynical to the extreme).

I think it was you that suggested on the podcast that players need to start refusing England call-ups if it involves playing in countries notorious for abuse—and it has to be white players as well (I don't know if you also made that point). That seems like the best power the players have in the situation, since I would imagine that if enough players started to boycott, the various FAs would start to fret. Imagine some teeny minnow getting into the World Cup because their fans are so racist that every team boycotted their games! UEFA wouldn't possibly stand for that, right?

OTOH, what's the history behind these kinds of things? The only match I can think of off the top of my head is the Chile-USSR match that the USSR boycotted for, imo, completely legitimate reasons. But FIFA punished them, let Chile win the match 1–0 by forfeit, and the USSR had to sit out of the World Cup. All this because they took a stand against the torture/disappearing under the Pinochet régime.

Point is, the players won't be able to change much on their own—but they're probably, paradoxically, the only ones who, because of their marquee value, can, in refusing, make the FAs start to change. And that's from where the change will originate.

OTOH, what's the history behind these kinds of things? The only match I can think of off the top of my head is the Chile-USSR match that the USSR boycotted for, imo, completely legitimate reasons. But FIFA punished them, let Chile win the match 1–0 by forfeit, and the USSR had to sit out of the World Cup. All this because they took a stand against the torture/disappearing under the Pinochet régime.
Pot, meet kettle.

This is what Clarence Seedorf said, why give the racists the publicity that they probably crave.......and that nobody is born racist so education is the solution

The walking off in protest is just as much a shout-out to the authorities as it is to the racists.

It says that the players wont put up with abuse, the idea is that by walking off, the players force the governing bodies into action.....

Thats the idea anyway.....

I dont really see how this can be a bad thing. The players expect to get some abuse from opposition fans, thats part and parcel of football. But a group of fans, singling out one player and abusing him because of his skin colour, is an entirely different matter.

i dont know about Italy, but that sort of thing is illegal in this country isnt it? If Jermain walked off the pitch because Chelsea fans were doing monkey chants, it would get sorted out pretty damn quickly.

Back
Top Bottom