Mind Games and breaking free

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lads,
I'm creating this thread because it needs to exist. Tottenham's success depends on it.
This is my attempt to destroy the greatest threat to this club: Memes
I will also destroy this club's greatest enemy: the media
You might not think you know what I mean by memes. You do. You just call it a hoodoo, or a curse, or just use the umbrella term 'spursy'.
We must, as a fanbase, acknowledge that this mindset is bad for the club, and that it is a problem. Acceptance is the first step to solving any problem.
I could go on about all the books i've read and the psychology behind these things, but that isn't necessary. Instead,here's some actionable advice that will make your life as a supporter less stressful, more enjoyable and allow you to see things in football much more clearly:

1. Watch matches with the commentary turned off. Commentary fucks with your head and perception in a bunch of ways I can't be bothered to get into now. Just do it, and notice how much better everything is.
2. Do not engage with sports media. Do not watch sky sports news, do not turn to the sports page of the newspaper. If you have to, do it when we win. When we don't win or get a good result, blackout your sports consumption until the next game.
3. Don't listen to what other fans think. They generally just say and think what the media tells them and are simply a more partizan arm of it. You should not judge your club by what rival fans say, as they will never give your club credit and simply keep moving the goalposts. Do not attempt to justify your club to standards made in bad faith.
4. Whenever you see some narrative being pushed, think about it. Really think about it. You will automatically think of all the times it is confirmed. This is how shitty narratives perpetuate. To combat this, try to think of all the times it isn't confirmed. When something that flies against that narrative happens, keep a mental note of it.
5. Embrace chaos. You must accept that football, more than most other sports, is dependent on luck. You could do almost everything right in a football match and still lose. It's not as bad as poker, but it's on that scale. Don't try to run form it. Embrace it. Ride it. If you can react to the wheel of fortune with stocism, you will stop yourself from spiraling into defeatism.

Use this thread for questions, as well as help dispelling and combating the media/memes, negative thinking and general unhelpful stuff holding the club back. I've seen so much unhelpful bs recently that this needs to be dealt with.

Just to clarify point 2, the only person I would listen to from the sports media is Matthew Syed. He's one of the only journalists who deals with big ideas in sport rather than reading the tea leaves thrown up every week.

No disrespect, but I do this stuff anyway, maybe because I'm too long in the tooth to let other people's opinion bother me too much and apart from this forum, I don't do social media - it's so utterly false.

No disrespect, but I do this stuff anyway, maybe because I'm too long in the tooth to let other people's opinion bother me too much and apart from this forum, I don't do social media - it's so utterly false.
What? Your not on Fb and letting everybody know you feel “blessed” and telling everybody what you had for your tea!

How about this for any idea. Instead of being overly sensitive and needing to avoid any and all outside stimulus lest someone gets upset, how about people just take a deep breath and then get some perspective.

This international break is still a borefest to me , so no hardship not watching or listening to the sports radio and tv channels for a couple of weeks and sticking to the non football on here.

I feel sorry for Poch, every one of the guilty parties pisses off out of it on international duty and he can't do or say anything.

Point 6.

Don’t allow yourself to be told what to do by self-important SC refugees who can’t tell the difference between Rose and Lucas when critiquing the former. Fair enough, it’s an easy mistake to make seeing as they look identical and play nearly the same position, but don’t trust anyone, especially the OP - make up your own mind.

Pretty much this. Avoiding the opinions of other fans is next to impossible at work, but I’m single minded enough not to care about a bit of banter.

I have a Twitter account, but only really use it for updates on certain things, and to berate Fox News for their lack of news on foxes.

This international break is still a borefest to me , so no hardship not watching or listening to the sports radio and tv channels for a couple of weeks and sticking to the non football on here.

I feel sorry for Poch, every one of the guilty parties pisses off out of it on international duty and he can't do or say anything.
Anstey Nomads v Oadby Town in the F.A Cup qualifying round Saturday if that’s doesn’t get the blood flowing nothing will international break is not all bad....;)

I think I will have a go at turning off the volume. I often turn it down relatively low but it's not enough. I find it very distracting, and quite irritating in terms of what's being said.

I’d pay extra for a ‘just the crowd’ option. Commentary is mostly just a load of waffle about Liverpool anyway.

When we lose I go on a total media blackout anyway. I know what I just watched and know my club. So don't need to listen to fools like Jamie Redknapp, clowns on Talkshite, and journos with agendas to tell me otherwise.

Will never join Twatter, rarely use FB, so only exceptions after a loss is venting on here and listening to a Spurs podcast or two to share the pain

I think I will have a go at turning off the volume. I often turn it down relatively low but it's not enough. I find it very distracting, and quite irritating in terms of what's being said.
when I was watching the game today, I said to my friend, wish I could turn off the commentary, and turn up the crowd. After all,it's not as if I have to be told what I'm seeing when I watch a game live!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom