Mind Games and breaking free

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I find the whole agenda thing utterly absurd - we have on the large been the media darlings since Poch took over ( we were for much of the Redknapp period as well) but for some odd reason any semblance of negativity about us is met with with extreme hostility by a small number of supporters. Sometimes the truth hurts - the whole criticism over our failure to secure silverware is a perfectly valid one for example and yet for some the response is to attack, discredit and try to close down this rather than actually discuss this.
There is definitely an agenda or maybe a coincidental obsession about praising everything liverpool in the media. Never really noticed an anti-spurs agenda though. Thats just some people being victims (very much like liverpool fans)

I find the whole agenda thing utterly absurd - we have on the large been the media darlings since Poch took over ( we were for much of the Redknapp period as well) but for some odd reason any semblance of negativity about us is met with with extreme hostility by a small number of supporters. Sometimes the truth hurts - the whole criticism over our failure to secure silverware is a perfectly valid one for example and yet for some the response is to attack, discredit and try to close down this rather than actually discuss this.

That criticism generally tends to be interpreted as pundits trying to sell our best players. Maybe they’re simply highlighting some of the things that are preventing us from winning trophies. I do think that the fact that we’ve been punching above our weight tends to be overlooked, but I get the feeling that there’s frustration that we aren’t doing better, rather than annoyance that we’re up there mixing it with the big boys.

I remember back in Leicester’s title winning season an article saying how us winning would also be a fairytale story, for many of the reasons previously discussed. There’s no conspiracy, and like I say, rival fans know exactly how good we are.

There is definitely an agenda or maybe a coincidental obsession about praising everything liverpool in the media. Never really noticed an anti-spurs agenda though. Thats just some people being victims (very much like liverpool fans)

The biggest media company (football wise) in the UK/Ireland is SKY. When a lot of their top high profile presenters/pundits are Liverpool fans, then you have a recipe for scouse media bias shite. Souness, Redknapp Jr, Carragher (cunt), Phil Thompson, Kelly Dalglish, etc, etc.

I don’t avoid anything because I don’t get bothered by them.

You avoid everyone who disagrees with you. You bang on about ‘echo chambers’ yet it’s you who wilfully avoids debate with those who have your number. The internet equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears.

I fell like there are two different arguments here.

Whether you believe in an anti spurs agenda amongst the high profile media or not, and regardless of your view on the level of criticism that should be directed toward the club.

It is easier for the media to peddle pre-convinced ideas and concepts than it is to challenge the "accepted" norm. Consumers will naturally flock towards concepts that align with their own way of thinking, but surely good reporting - good analysis and opinion should be free of preconception and be based on the facts to hand. How did they play, what happened during the game, where did things go wrong or right. How could have they have been improved. What are the stories that need telling.

Generally most media outlets now are so hungry for circulation / clicks that their first impulsion is to decide which scenario they are going use to sell the story.

In the bigger picture yellow journalism / propaganda / fake news is a very powerful and dangerous tool.
Yellow, you say....?
jim-white-natalie-sawyer-deadline-day_3075669.jpg

Yellow journalism - Wikipedia
Interesting... very interesting!

Time for me to check back in again. I was going to quote a couple of people, but there has been so much discussion that I might as well respond in general.
I am not alleging a media bias, at least not intentionally against tottenham. If I was, I would have posted this in the media bias thread. The media distorts everything, for all teams. It's part of their job. The more sensational they are, the more attention they get. (I used sensationalism in my OP in order to generate attention to this thread. I think it worked.)
But this same sensationalism leads us further away from reality and leads fanbases to make bad decisions, such as sacking managers too early or spending too much.
Ultimately, I want this fanbase to move away from a mindset that expects the worst, because this mentality is cancer and becomes self-fulfilling. There are many ways to do this, but one of the easiest is to simply stop listening to things that reinforce this mentality. The concept of Tottenham being 'spursy' is sensational, so the media will report it. It's not bias, it's simply good business.
Hearing that we are bottlers and 'spursy' over and over again, affects us, even if you think it doesn't. It primes you to expect the worst. I understand that the measures I've proposed may seem petty and snowflake-y, but there is serious psychological research validating what I'm saying.

Back
Top Bottom