Modern Football is Broken - Picture Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really can't be arsed with it. I just wanna discuss football without all that crap. Some people are so blinkered by tribalism they can't just have an honest conversation about anything regarding Spurs as they're too busy doing the Top Fan routine.
Nice to find a kindred spirit! I’m older than you’d think, and an Australian, drawn here with good hopes for Ange and Spurs.

I’ve been a Fulham supporter since living just across the river in the 1990s, and I might be spoilt by the generally more reasoned, open and friendly atmosphere (Chelsea excepted) over at the Cottage.

Anyway, as you say, the beautiful game is the main thing. Fingers crossed, there’ll lots of it for Spurs in the season ahead. You’re due a change of fortune ;-)

People actually in the industry don't give a fuck about tribalism/pettiness, they're just professionals. The days of the Roy Keane attitude are long gone, and even then he was an exception to the norm.

Does that make modern footie 'broken' ??? Nah, not for me. I honestly find the tribalism even on here just boring and petty and a bit cringe tbh.
Football without rivalries is nothing. I’m not saying they can’t be friends, a lot of them have international bond, but the ones who don’t - it’s just weird.
Why is NLD the best in the country? Because there is so much rivarly and hatred. Why we enjoyed when Lamela and Dembele went crazy against Chelsea in 2016? Because that’s how it supposed to be. I’m not old, but rivarly between City and Liverpool is cringe because of Guardiola and Klopp. Just an example.

Again, footballers can do whatever they want, it’s their life. But as a fan I can like it or not. Most of fans don’t like this type of behaviour.

Football without rivalries is nothing. I’m not saying they can’t be friends, a lot of them have international bond, but the ones who don’t - it’s just weird.
Why is NLD the best in the country? Because there is so much rivarly and hatred. Why we enjoyed when Lamela and Dembele went crazy against Chelsea in 2016? Because that’s how it supposed to be. I’m not old, but rivarly between City and Liverpool is cringe because of Guardiola and Klopp. Just an example.

Again, footballers can do whatever they want, it’s their life. But as a fan I can like it or not. Most of fans don’t like this type of behaviour.

It's not. It's no different to them than people from rival companies being mates. They are professionals, they don't give a fuck.

Meh, boring tribalism. I love Liverpool vs City as its quality football. The beautiful game. Top players vs top players. NLD is great and there's room for a bit of rivalry/needling in these sort of scenarios but not on fucking football forums or expecting players from rival teams to hate each other off the pitch. That's just childish & dumb.

I think you're wrong, I honestly think most fans don't care. Just a vocal minority who take the sport too seriously. I don't 'hate' anyone because of what football team they support. I see enough hate/actually dark and horrible shit in my job, as if I have time to do anything but roll my eyes when people talk about hating other fans because they chose a different football team.

Dunno how old you are, but I do think its generational. Lot of older fans have that more tribal, slightly outdated attitude towards it all where you do not ever admit your rival has a good player or is doing well or you're GOONER SCUM!! And all other rival team fans are VERMIN!!!

I really can't be arsed with it. I just wanna discuss football without all that crap. Some people are so blinkered by tribalism they can't just have an honest conversation about anything regarding Spurs as they're too busy doing the Top Fan routine. I don't really even engage with it anymore, bores the living crap out of me.
I think it depends on circumstances. I grew up in north London, At school most of the lads and most of my mates were Gooners and they loved to take the piss especially as it was in the Viera, berkamp and Henry era. Used to be painful listening to the smug bastard's, all banter of course but still would get your back up, didn't help that we we're proper shit then either.

I do get your point however it shouldn't make you blinkered when assessing football in general terms.

Just makes it a bit more fun really and a lot better when you do best your rivals. Or watching Woolwich bottle it after being so vocal.

It's not. It's no different to them than people from rival companies being mates. They are professionals, they don't give a fuck.

Meh, boring tribalism. I love Liverpool vs City as its quality football. The beautiful game. Top players vs top players. NLD is great and there's room for a bit of rivalry/needling in these sort of scenarios but not on fucking football forums or expecting players from rival teams to hate each other off the pitch. That's just childish & dumb.

I think you're wrong, I honestly think most fans don't care. Just a vocal minority who take the sport too seriously. I don't 'hate' anyone because of what football team they support. I see enough hate/actually dark and horrible shit in my job, as if I have time to do anything but roll my eyes when people talk about hating other fans because they chose a different football team.
Mate, I don’t hate rival fans as people, I hate their club and everything that comes with it. I’m talking about football side of things. Although Woolwich fans sre special bread anyway. I can’t stand them talking about football.

Footballers from rival teams shouldn’t hate eachother, that’s strong word(again), but I don’t think they should go to parties together etc.

Maybe I’m minorty.

_130330965_mbappebody_gettyimages-1495738469.jpg

The "gentleman" on the ball in this picture is a perfect example of modern football being broken, look at this for evidence:

The amount of money that club is paying him and the amount of power they have also given him is pathetic, and for him to say things like that is a disgrace, regardless of how the club might be.

Also look at the strop he threw when he wasn't immediately made France captain after Hugo retired from the team, the guy has zero class whatsoever.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Messi or C. Ronaldo acting that way at his age at Barcelona or Man Utd respectively.

_130330965_mbappebody_gettyimages-1495738469.jpg

The "gentleman" on the ball in this picture is a perfect example of modern football being broken, look at this for evidence:

The amount of money that club is paying him and the amount of power they have also given him is pathetic, and for him to say things like that is a disgrace, regardless of how the club might be.

Also look at the strop he threw when he wasn't immediately made France captain after Hugo retired from the team, the guy has zero class whatsoever.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Messi or C. Ronaldo acting that way at his age at Barcelona or Man Utd respectively.

Blokes a wrong'n.

(Ironically, PSG have played a massive part in creating the proverbial beast tho'.)

....And simply not as good as he's been hyped to be.

Last edited:
Blokes a wrong'n.

(Ironically, PSG have played a massive part in creating this beast tho'.)

....And simply not as good as he's been hyped to be.
He's brilliant, but certainly not best in the world brilliant.

I think he'll end up at roughly the same level as Kaka, or at a push Ronaldinho. Obvious talent but ultimately a flash in the pan. His pace will drop off and he relys on that more than most top attackers.

He's brilliant, but certainly not best in the world brilliant.

I think he'll end up at roughly the same level as Kaka, or at a push Ronaldinho. Obvious talent but ultimately a flash in the pan. His pace will drop off and he relys on that more than most top attackers.

He's obviously good...... But a rich-man's Rashford and not befitting of the previous generation of the "best in the world" conversation.

🎙️ Miroslav Klose: “I stopped playing football because I no longer recognised it. Today, young players think about other things. As a child, I only thought about training and becoming someone in this sport that I always loved. At Lazio and in the national team, after each training session, I put myself in a bathtub full of ice to avoid injuries. But the young players on the team systematically refused.

When they saw me picking up the bags of balls to put them away at the end of training, they said to me 'But who tells you to do that?'.

At that moment, I said to myself: 'You're 20 years old and you can't help a 60-year-old worker?'

They care more about whether their boots go with their socks. That's why I said stop. The football I knew no longer exists.

Today's young players think first of cars, contracts with their sponsors, and their new boots. It is only after all these things that football comes. For them, their image is the most important thing. Whereas for me, all that mattered was football in its purest form.”

He’s spot on.

🎙️ Miroslav Klose: “I stopped playing football because I no longer recognised it. Today, young players think about other things. As a child, I only thought about training and becoming someone in this sport that I always loved. At Lazio and in the national team, after each training session, I put myself in a bathtub full of ice to avoid injuries. But the young players on the team systematically refused.

When they saw me picking up the bags of balls to put them away at the end of training, they said to me 'But who tells you to do that?'.

At that moment, I said to myself: 'You're 20 years old and you can't help a 60-year-old worker?'

They care more about whether their boots go with their socks. That's why I said stop. The football I knew no longer exists.

Today's young players think first of cars, contracts with their sponsors, and their new boots. It is only after all these things that football comes. For them, their image is the most important thing. Whereas for me, all that mattered was football in its purest form.”

He’s spot on.

Sounds good to me mate - just don’t forget the gourmet burgers too!

:tanguythumb:

Back
Top Bottom