New VAR Rules

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They obviously want a black and white rule but handball has always required a degree of common sense and needs to be judged on a case by case basis. That was how the original handball rule worked and it did work most of the time and never needed to be changed.

They obviously want a black and white rule but handball has always required a degree of common sense and needs to be judged on a case by case basis. That was how the original handball rule worked and it did work most of the time and never needed to be changed.

The role of the referee is to manage a football match in accordance with the laws of the game.

The inevitable, unavoidable, unstoppable imperative of VAR is to flatten and compartmentalize a football match into a series of studies into the edges and crevasses of the laws of the game.

100% incompatible. It is not the same sport.

I think the FA are going to have to take back control of our game before it's too late.
We all know what hand ball is we've grown up with it! Deliberate hand to ball.
Fuck FIFA we are going to get players aiming for hands...I expect they train for it now?

I think the FA are going to have to take back control of our game before it's too late.
We all know what hand ball is we've grown up with it! Deliberate hand to ball.
Fuck FIFA we are going to get players aiming for hands...I expect they train for it now?

VAR is death and the new handball rule is terrible, but that at the end of the United game is a penalty in any era under any rules and should have been given by the referee.

VAR is death and the new handball rule is terrible, but that at the end of the United game is a penalty in any era under any rules and should have been given by the referee.
Maybe so but how do you get a penalty AFTER the final whistle.? Only the fkn Mancs get that lucky. Another 13 to go !!

It should not have been a penalty, because the game should have ended about a minute before it happened - but we were playing Time Added On For The Mancs.

That Chelsea equalizer really drove home the consequences of VAR. It is simply now understood that the exclamation point of a big, dramatic goal is no longer the relevant moment, it is when the inevitable procedural check has been completed.

This is no longer a human-scale experience. I hate it so much.

That Chelsea equalizer really drove home the consequences of VAR. It is simply now understood that the exclamation point of a big, dramatic goal is no longer the relevant moment, it is when the inevitable procedural check has been completed.

This is no longer a human-scale experience. I hate it so much.

VAR has definitely made watching football less enjoyable for me, but it's especially the handball nonsense.

Ideally the rules should only stop obvious deliberate handball. But I think the problem is VAR can't cope with subjectivity - we will forgive ref mistakes on the pitch, in the moment, but not in the cold light of a video replay. So to avoid accusations of bias, they have created these absurd technical handballs, which make a mockery of the principle of deliberate handball.

Not strictly VAR but the handball rule is a disgrace. Absolutely nothing wrong with the old rule about intention. But now we have unnatural positions, distance travelled, immediacy, fucking sleeve lengths, and a million slow mo replays and pitchside monitors to determine it all.

Football is a simple game that is going to shit

100%. Worked well for years. If it isn't broken why fix it? Bunch of idiots in suits coming up with fad ideas that are unworkable and over-complicating things. Clueless.

Football supporters organizations should have the elimination of VAR as part of their platforms.

Does THST have anything on this?
Indeed. Certainly this handball rule as I can't think of one person who loves the game likes it. Has got to go. I'd happily write a letter and sign whatever as it's genuinely destroying the game and there might be a point where I'll just watch lower league stuff instead

As clear as fucking mud. What a wonderful improvement to the glorious game. So glad it's stopped the deluge of complaints we used to have about the old, simple rule. Such clarity, such precision. Genius.

A new interpretation of the handball law was introduced at the beginning of this season. Under these new rules, a player will be penalised for handball if:
  • The hand/arm is clearly away from the body and outside the "body line" .
  • The player clearly leans into the path of the ball.
  • The ball travels some distance.
  • The ball touches a hand/arm that is clearly raised above the shoulder.
  • The player falls and the hand/arm is extended laterally or vertically away from the body.
  • A deflection clearly makes no difference to the ball touching a hand/arm that is clearly extended away from the body and/or above the shoulder

Last edited:
One thing I find funny, is how certain Americans were calling the Europeans backwards for not having any video technology but once it's been implemented, they are now bashing VAR. Like, which way is it?

Back
Top Bottom