Noni Madueke

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Noni Madueke exclusive interview: PSV's English showman on Mario Gotze, Ruud van Nistelrooy and leaving Spurs to move abroad as a teenager​

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports, PSV winger Noni Madueke discusses leaving Tottenham as a teenager and finding a new path abroad as he prepares to face Leicester City in his first professional club game on English soil...

"I am a showman," Noni Madueke tells Sky Sports. "I can beat players very easily. I am fast. I have an eye for goal on the pitch. That is how I would describe myself."

He might have added confident and he has reason to be. The 20-year-old Londoner has been a huge success since leaving Tottenham for PSV almost three years ago - rejecting an alternative offer to move to Manchester United instead.

Madueke is back in England for his first professional game against English opposition when PSV face Leicester City in the Europa Conference League quarter-final on Thursday. It is just the next experience for one of the bright young talents of English football.

These are the occasions that persuaded him to move to Eindhoven in the first place. He has made over 60 appearances for the 1988 European Cup winners since making his debut over two years ago. The justification for his bold choice is obvious.

"I have been in a first-team environment since I was 17," he says.

"I don't think there is any way I would have experienced first-team football at that age in England. That is the main thing. I just liked the aura of the club. From the moment I came here, I liked the aura straight away. It just felt like the right next step."

The standout moment so far came in August when he scored twice in a 4-0 thrashing of Ajax in the Dutch Super Cup. It was a man-of-the-match performance. "That was the highlight of my years here. It was the first trophy that I have won in my professional career."

The first of many? There seems no doubt. There is a steely pragmatism to Madueke. He does not romanticise his move abroad, instead downplaying the significance of a young man living on his own in another country. He is doing what he must do to succeed.

Asked if it was a challenge for him to leave home at such a young age, he is clear. "Off the pitch, not really. I think if I were in England it would be pretty much the same. Moving abroad when you are young, it takes a bit of heart. Other than that, it is no different.

"I have definitely seen another side of life and had to adapt. There was a culture shift. But I am someone who is easy-going and can live anywhere so it was not so difficult. I live by myself but I see my family quite frequently. Everyone speaks English so it is pretty easy.

"I feel like I was just coming here for a job, to get the job done. It was a move for my career so I was just thinking of making the best out of it. I was not really worried about leaving London or anything like that. I just knew. I was focused. I wanted to do the job."

His first season was spent with the development team, working under Ruud van Nistelrooy, honing his craft under the former Manchester United striker. "He is a legend of the game so it was an honour and he is still a great finisher. He helped me a lot with that."

The breakthrough came last season when he was PSV's third-highest scorer in the Eredivisie with seven goals despite starting only seven of the team's 34 matches. Roger Schmidt, the club's experienced coach, taught him another side of the game.

"He has helped me with my out-of-possession work, pressing and being connected to the other players on the pitch so I can win the ball back as quickly as possible. Two years on, I am a bit more polished in my game. That is the difference now.

"When you are 18 coming into the first team you are a bit raw. I am probably a more decisive player than I was two years ago. My biggest strengths are still my speed and my dribbling but I would say that my end product is good as well now."

He names Cristiano Ronaldo as his childhood favourite and there are signs of that in his game. He shoots from inside the box more often than any other PSV player and completes more dribbles too. No Eredivisie player completes as many dribbles per 90 minutes.

Even so, it has not been straightforward since that day against Ajax. Madueke missed much of the winter through injury. "It was difficult but now I am over it and I have been able to play the second half of the season with pretty much no problems," he says.

In particular, he caught the eye in both games for the England U21 side last month.

"It was fun. Two games, two wins.

"It has definitely been a progressive year."

The opportunity to play alongside Mario Gotze - scorer of the winning goal in the 2014 World Cup final - has been a positive too, the pair developing a good understanding. "We have a pretty young team so Mario has definitely been an influence with his experience."

That could be decisive against Leicester. Madueke's father and brother will be there at the King Power Stadium but - typically - the player himself has laser-like focus.

"It is definitely a big game. I am coming back home. It is my first game against an English team. It will be another experience but I just see it as another game we have to win.

"Leicester are a good team. But so are we."

It has already been confirmed that PSV will be coached by Van Nistelrooy next season with Schmidt moving on. Madueke expects him to thrive in his first senior coaching role.

"It will be interesting to see how he gets on. I feel like he will be fine. He is well-equipped. Everybody respects him a lot for what he has achieved in the game so players will definitely take to him. Tactically, he has good ideas as a coach as well, so he will be fine."

Whether Madueke will still be at PSV remains to be seen.

Brendan Rodgers' team are just one of the Premier League clubs that have been linked with a move for him in the summer. It is only a matter of time before he returns to England. "I definitely want to play there next." He just does not know yet when that will be.

"Whether it is this summer or whenever it is, for now, I am focusing on the rest of the season. It is definitely an ambition of mine to play there. I have had a kickstart in my career by playing a lot of games at a young age. I feel like I will be ready for any step I take."

There is that confidence. He just needed the opportunity.

His next one will come in Europe against Leicester on Thursday evening. Just another game. Just another chance for Noni Madueke, this single-minded showman, to take to the stage.

Ex-Tottenham kid Noni Madueke destroyed Ajax, once snubbed Man Utd, and is now being coached by Ruud Van Nistelrooy,​

• 11:00, 7 May 2022
WHATEVER Ruud Van Nistelrooy is teaching Noni Madueke, it seems to be working.
The former Tottenham wonderkid, 20, blew away Ajax in the Johan Cruyff Shield final back in August with two stunning strikes in PSV's sensational 4-0 win

The England U21 international was the darling of Spurs' youth sides, and highly thought of by ex-manager Mauricio Pochettino, before the forward left North London in 2018 for first team football in the Netherlands.

Manchester United legend Ruud Van Nistelrooy, who will be handed the reigns at Eindhoven next season, has taken the teenager under his wing and given him extensive lessons in finishing.

Madueke could have stayed on our shores - with Spurs offering him a new deal, as well as reported offers on the table from the Red Devils and Chelsea. But the brave winger opted for a move abroad, and there's been no looking back since as he's taken the Eredivisie by storm.

IMPRESSIVE START​

From the offset Madueke was a hit. He scored his first goal for PSV in only his second start for the club against FC Emmen last season.

That followed an impressive performance against Groningen, when he came off the bench to create two goals in a 3-1 win and really announced himself.

In his debut campaign he managed nine goals in all competitions in just 32 games, and he has repeated those numbers so far this season/

Recently, the likes of Bayern Munich and Liverpool have been credited with an interest in the youngster, who wouldn't have done his chances of a big move any harm with his masterclass against Ajax.

ART OF GOALSCORING​

One of the reasons Madueke has excelled in front of goal could be credited to PSV's Under 19s coach, Van Nistelrooy.

A master poacher, the former Netherlands international scored 150 goals in 219 games for United. And he's been passing tips onto the the starlet.

“Ruud helped me a lot last year, taking my game to the next level and now I am just trying to get better every day," he told SunSport.

“I have always scored nice goals but I know I needed to score easier ones — being in the right place at the right time — striker-type finishes. "Ruud has been teaching me how to get into those positions more and, being a Manchester United fan, I know he is the master of that.”

HE'S GOT SKILLS​

Recognised as a creative and physically strong playmaker, Noni possesses a magic left-foot with an eye for a killer through ball.

The wonderkid also has a powerful shot, scoring goals from distance regularly at youth level and has a calm head - slotting penalties home for fun.

Aged just 15, Noni played in the UEFA Youth League for Spurs and demonstrated his qualities on the pitch that make him a standout prospect.

At the Sonnenland Cup in 2017, he was named player of the tournament, taking centre stage for the North London giants who made the semifinals of the competition.

At the same age, he also turned out for Spurs' Under 18s and was captain of their Under 16 side, showing his ability to be a natural leader.

But it's in Holland where he will continue to grow and hone his impressive skills.

After signing for PSV, Noni gave his reasons why he took the steps to move abroad.

"In my opinion PSV is the club where I can best develop myself," he told their club website.

"PSV is a massive club with a great history. I cannot wait to grow step by step to the first team."

Director of football John de Jong was equally as equally buoyant about the move, talking up the trend of English players making the bold move to Holland.

"It is very nice that a player with his background, English youth international playing for an English top club chooses the youth trajectory of PSV.

"That means that this boy sees perspective to break through and that is the intention. We believe in him and wish him every success.

"We are increasingly receiving the signal that English talents are open to a switch to the Netherlands.

"They see that the chance of breaking into the first team in the Netherlands at a young age is much greater than in England.

"A trend break with recent years, in which we saw many Dutch youth players just leave for England."

Would love it to have him back- especially if he could help with our hg and club-trained registration issues. I guess the big question is if he can cut it in the prem, but at present it looks like he is on track to have a future there if he wants it.

Just like Sancho it looks as if Maduke's also been drinking to much "cool aid" after coming returning back to the UK...

Pochettino warns Chelsea players after Madueke seen partying when injured​

Jacob Steinberg
Sat, 30 September 2023 at 9:32 am CEST·2-min read

Mauricio Pochettino has laid down the law to Chelsea’s young players after admonishing Noni Madueke for being caught partying while he was injured.

Madueke has not played since picking up a muscle injury while on duty with England Under-21s this month and there was intrigue over his failure to make the bench when Chelsea beat Brighton in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday. Pochettino said the winger’s absence was down to fitness rather than indiscipline, but the head coach made it clear that he had seen a video of the former PSV Eindhoven player partying.

The Argentinian has addressed the issue with Madueke, who has not been a regular since moving to Stamford Bridge in January, and he added that he wants better standards from Chelsea’s other youngsters.

“It is clear,” Pochettino said. “This video, we were talking about that with him. I think it is a thing that we need to avoid. All the players need to know that when we are a player of Chelsea to try to avoid these things. It wasn’t a big issue but we always need to avoid these types of situations.

“I think it is really clear that he needs to avoid it. But he is recovering from the national team and we will see if he is fit and can be involved and selected. But we talk about what you are asking me because it is a thing that the young players need to improve on. Not only him. Many, many players need to be professional and to have respect because of the badge we have here.”

Pochettino suggested that Madueke has a chance of being involved when Chelsea visit Fulham on Monday. “In my opinion he is working really hard to get the levels that we want after his injury,” he said. “He came back from the international break maybe 10 or 12 days ago. Now he feels well and he is recovered. Now he is trying to get fit to be on the same level as the team.”

Back
Top Bottom