Our Squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why are there reports that Doherty is HG in the PL but not in the EL? It doesn't make sense. The issue with Ben Davies and others (Joe Rodon?) from Welsh clubs is because Welsh clubs are part of the English football tier, so PL allows them to be considered as HG but UEFA doesn't. Surely, Doherty who spent his academy years in Ireland (and a short loan at a Scottish club), would be either fully Non HG or fully HG.

Why are there reports that Doherty is HG in the PL but not in the EL? It doesn't make sense. The issue with Ben Davies and others (Joe Rodon?) from Welsh clubs is because Welsh clubs are part of the English football tier, so PL allows them to be considered as HG but UEFA doesn't. Surely, Doherty who spent his academy years in Ireland (and a short loan at a Scottish club), would be either fully Non HG or fully HG.

No reports that I am aware of that Doherty is classified different in PL to EL. Issue is whether he is Overseas Trained for both PL and EL, or whether he is Trained by other Clubs affilated to Tfe Football Asociation (in this case Wolves) for both.

For the EL squad Spurs have sent to UEFA , it doesnt matter which he is, the squad still works out within the squad number constraints.

For Davies and Rodon, its quite clear they will be treated as Overseas Trained for EL as Swansea is affilated to The Football Associsation of Wales (although a few people seem confused by the fact that FAW 'outsourced' the disciplinary affairs to the FA so as to 'harmonise' disciplinary matters for all clubs in PL and EFL rather than FAW and The FA having different solutions for clubs in the same league). PL take a different view and call them 'Home Grown' not Overseas Trained.

Ej4Kv40UYAIeav6

Our options at centre back make me a little bit uneasy but other than that...

:freundgoal: :freundgoal: :freundgoal:

No reports that I am aware of that Doherty is classified different in PL to EL. Issue is whether he is Overseas Trained for both PL and EL, or whether he is Trained by other Clubs affilated to Tfe Football Asociation (in this case Wolves) for both.

For the EL squad Spurs have sent to UEFA , it doesnt matter which he is, the squad still works out within the squad number constraints.

For Davies and Rodon, its quite clear they will be treated as Overseas Trained for EL as Swansea is affilated to The Football Associsation of Wales (although a few people seem confused by the fact that FAW 'outsourced' the disciplinary affairs to the FA so as to 'harmonise' disciplinary matters for all clubs in PL and EFL rather than FAW and The FA having different solutions for clubs in the same league). PL take a different view and call them 'Home Grown' not Overseas Trained.

I've seen it on twitter and read an article that said Doherty is homegrown in PL but not in EL. Like I said before, it doesn't make sense. Only players from Welsh academies are considered homegrown in PL but not in EL/CL.

Edit: It's mentioned here. Jose Mourinho leaves three Spurs first team players out of Europa League squad

I think we have too many "strangers" in the team without having developed the chemistry, but certainly on paper this is the best squad we've had since 16-17. If we can have a good season this year, I'll be excited for what can happen next season with the fans back hopefully.

I think Gedson was brought in as we had so many out injured, and as a loan ticked a few boxes for both Spurs and player/club/Mendes in getting a chance in PL.

However whilst he's athletic and technically ok, he doesnt impose himself on matches, as a CM he's not better than anyone in first team squad, and whilst JM has tried to look at him as a RB he's not that hreat and with Doherty/Aurier/Tanganga there's no space there.

I'd suggest he's a bit older and more experienced than Harvey White and Jamie Bowden but not that far ahead of the 19 year olds whilst Gedson is 21 and going to cost a decent fee - even if not his 40m release fee.....and there's just no space at Spurs where he looks good enough to compete.

Much better plan fior Spurs to give playing time to White and/or Bowden as they probably have the same or better chance to make it at Spurs as they have 2 years longer to try via loans or training with first team than Gedson.

So, time to find a home for Gedson whether that's back to his club or transferring loan to another club whose transfer window hasnt yet closed (eg Portugal, Switzerland)
There was a pre-season friendly where both Gedson & Clarke played and I was struck at how much better Clarke's first touch was. The ball was sticking to JC's feet in a way it often wasn't with Gedson.

I suspect Mourinho & our coaches have made the pragmatic decision that if we're going to develop one of them with game time this season, Clarke is our player long term whereas Gedson is unaffordable unless we get a dramatic reduction in the option to buy fee. So let's go with the younger, club-owned, talent.

Ultimately, Gedson has had several months for Mourinho to analyse him in training and - as other posters have said - it's probably best to terminate the loan so Mendes can get him a chance at another club.

Having said that, if we'd sold either Aurier or Sissoko, I suspect Gedson would have taken their non-HG place in the squad.

I've seen it on twitter and read an article that said Doherty is homegrown in PL but not in EL. Like I said before, it doesn't make sense. Only players from Welsh academies are considered homegrown in PL but not in EL/CL.

Edit: It's mentioned here. Jose Mourinho leaves three Spurs first team players out of Europa League squad
I think it might have to do with his loan spell in Scotland.

i.e. Not spending 2 consecutive years (?) in England under the age of 21 ?

Something like that anyway, "years" and "age" might be wrong but you get the idea.

I think it might have to do with his loan spell in Scotland.

i.e. Not spending 2 consecutive years (?) in England under the age of 21 ?

Something like that anyway, "years" and "age" might be wrong but you get the idea.
In that case, if he didn't fully spend 3 years playing for PL (or EFL) clubs before he turned 21, he shouldn't be homegrown in the PL either.

Wolves have had issues with their homegrown player number. I think if he was a special case, their fans would've talked about it in their forum citing it as a reason they're letting him go. Most of their fans were wondering why they're letting a homegrown player leave.

In that case, if he didn't fully spend 3 years playing for PL (or EFL) clubs before he turned 21, he shouldn't be homegrown in the PL either.

Wolves have had issues with their homegrown player number. I think if he was a special case, their fans would've talked about it in their forum citing it as a reason they're letting him go. Most of their fans were wondering why they're letting a homegrown player leave.
PL HG rules are different to European HG rules.

I'm guessing PL rules are that he was "owned" Wolves (as in, on their books) for the time required, therefore is HG.
Could be totally wrong on that

PL HG rules are different to European HG rules.

I'm guessing PL rules are that he was "owned" Wolves (as in, on their books) for the time required, therefore is HG.
Could be totally wrong on that
Okay, that makes sense. Would be incredibly unlucky though if that 6-month loan caused him to not qualify as homegrown in Europe.
:mourcheeks:

Agree that players ffrom Welsh academies - homegrown in Pl, overseas trained in EL

Doherty was brought up in Irish academies so time spent in those will NOT count to making him a non Overseas Trained player in either PL or EL. But if he is overseas trained for EL he is overseas trained for PL......and if 'homegrow' for PL he's also homegrown/'trained by club affiliated with The FA' for EL.

Sadly the player's 'classification' is not published by UEFA, but I'd hope when PL squad is published we willl be able to work it out.

Gold explains however that Doherty will be considered ‘homegrown’ both in Tottenham’s Premier League squad as well as in their European squad, having been bought by Wolves from Bohemians as an 18-year-old for £75,000.

Not definitive I know

There was a pre-season friendly where both Gedson & Clarke played and I was struck at how much better Clarke's first touch was. The ball was sticking to JC's feet in a way it often wasn't with Gedson.

I suspect Mourinho & our coaches have made the pragmatic decision that if we're going to develop one of them with game time this season, Clarke is our player long term whereas Gedson is unaffordable unless we get a dramatic reduction in the option to buy fee. So let's go with the younger, club-owned, talent.

Ultimately, Gedson has had several months for Mourinho to analyse him in training and - as other posters have said - it's probably best to terminate the loan so Mendes can get him a chance at another club.

Having said that, if we'd sold either Aurier or Sissoko, I suspect Gedson would have taken their non-HG place in the squad.

Agreed.

There were several pre season matches where Havey White played at the same time as Gedon, and 19 year old White generally looked far more comfortable than 21 year old Gedson.

Yet White has far less 'high level' experience having only played in preseason 2019 under Poch where he looked good playing at either LB or DM and in some of the EFL Trophy matches v League 1 and 2 sides where again he looked comfortable whilst Gedson has some 40 appearances in matches in the Portugese League and even 2 inyernational appearances. So you would expect Gedson to be well ahead of White - but that wasnt the case at all.

Gedson may or may not make it to a club in a top league, but I think his development to get there will not be short - and quite likely longer than the younger White or Clarke

On the Gedson thing, aye I agree, it may indeed be best for all involved to terminate his loan early so he can return to Benfica...though it's unlikely he'll get to play there cause I seem to remember he wasn't that loved no more before he left for Ldn. But they could loan him out elsewhere...probs in Jan now, though. Or maybe even come to an agreement with him and terminate his contract...surely now they realise they'll never get 40mil for him, nowhere near. So might wanna save themselves the wages. Who knows.

Regardless, it's best he leaves Spurs cause he will barely play for us, seen as how we got so many stronger options in front of him. And if we do need backup, I'd rather we give the young HG lads a shot, makes more sense long term. Geds has had his chance and I can't say I've ever seen anything in him that made me wanna see more.

All the best Geds boy.

Interesting that every new signing under Jose has been over 6ft. Joe Rodon is 6ft 4inch which would make him the tallest CB in the squad. Hopefully that will give the team more confidence during set pieces, which has been one of our weakest spot for years.

Interesting that every new signing under Jose has been over 6ft. Joe Rodon is 6ft 4inch which would make him the tallest CB in the squad. Hopefully that will give the team more confidence during set pieces, which has been one of our weakest spot for years.

It does seem like Mourinho is very keen on having taller players. I remember from the documentary that he had all players' heights listed next to their names on his whiteboard so he is certainly monitoring the height on the pitch when he selects his 11s.

As you say he very much favours taller players I think - we all remember his fondness of Fellaini up top for United for example!

It does seem like Mourinho is very keen on having taller players. I remember from the documentary that he had all players' heights listed next to their names on his whiteboard so he is certainly monitoring the height on the pitch when he selects his 11s.

As you say he very much favours taller players I think - we all remember his fondness of Fellaini up top for United for example!

True, but Fellaini's height was deceiving because he had a mop of hair (toilet brush) that was the size of another head.

Back
Top Bottom