Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not nice to hear he's unwell, but I lost all respect for the bloke when the revelations of him beating his wife for two years came out. I'm sure some of you in here posting well wishes for him also vilified Van der Vaart?
I do hope he gets well, but I struggle to feel sympathy for him anymore.

Obviously that was an awful thing to do, however I really don't get the impression that Gazza is a bad person. I think he is a genuinely good, well-meaning bloke but he obviously has a lot of problems and IMO this was at the heart of his behaviour with his wife. I'm not condoning what he did, but life is complicated and its twists and turns sometimes lead good people to do bad things, things they later regret...our sympathy won't help him at this stage but I think he deserves it.

He's almost out of luck tokens now sadly.
Poor poor guy, reckon there will be any 'joint' songs of support for him on Saturday against Newcastle?

It would be nice if there was....

Obviously that was an awful thing to do, however I really don't get the impression that Gazza is a bad person. I think he is a genuinely good, well-meaning bloke but he obviously has a lot of problems and IMO this was at the heart of his behaviour with his wife. I'm not condoning what he did, but life is complicated and its twists and turns sometimes lead good people to do bad things, things they later regret...our sympathy won't help him at this stage but I think he deserves it.

I have a real gripe with anyone who hits women (it's a personal thing) so I find it hard to forgive, it's as low as you can go outside of the big three for me. But he clearly has issues, issues that were ignored by the wider world.

Surely there is a Spurs or Geordie fan who has experience in this field, that can take him under their wing instead of this parasitic management company.
The guy needs to escape and start a new life. An ML scout might be his calling.

So I'm not sure if anyone has posted it yet.....if so sorry. I'm also not going to post it here because for me it's truly scary and sad to see such a legend in this state but there is video of that recent appearance on YouTube. The video is titled "Paul Gascoine Gazza Speaks During Charity Event Drunk....".

It's truly sad to see him like that and utterly revolting that someone put him up on that stage.

Check it out for yourself if you wish...

Word is he's now in a US treatment center, so at least we know he's in the hands of professionals at the moment. The BBC radio interview with his agent was painful to hear; the guy is the an alcoholic celebrity and living on his own. Recipe for disaster. I'm no expert on addiction and have tendencies of my own that are unhealthy but surely that's a stupid idea? He's also lost the support of his family apparently, which makes things more difficult as the only people around him are hangers-on or prople under his employ. Perhaps a long bit of time in a very serious treatment center like he's in now will do some good.

I'm choosing not to quote the specific post of the individual, as to not lend any unneeded additional reading, but I have not found anything quite as distasteful on this forum as I do the response to Linnet_spur's post above. Violence towards women should be abhorrent to any man. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I would far prefer we kept our jokes to football.

It's not nice to hear he's unwell, but I lost all respect for the bloke when the revelations of him beating his wife for two years came out. I'm sure some of you in here posting well wishes for him also vilified Van der Vaart?
I do hope he gets well, but I struggle to feel sympathy for him anymore.

I know it's not an excuse, but Gazza's got a handful of mental health problems - apparently he's bipolar and has OCD - in addition to alcoholism, and as far as I know VdV does not. Some people with really bad bipolar disorder get extremely aggressive and lose touch with reality if they haven't got their condition under control. That has to be taken into account.

Fuck me that footage is uncomfortable viewing... I wasn't around in the 1900's to see Joseph Merrick paraded around the fairs and freak-shows of Victorian Britain, but I imagine the experience wasn't dissimilar!
Could none of the laughing howling audience not SEE he was wasted, shame on the bloke too busy shouting out 'Yid Army' not to notice that one of our country's greatest footballing talents was disintegrating before their very eyes...

...and even more shame on Gazza's army of "ill-advisors", that allowed him into that situation in the first place, when it was clear he wasn't in a fit state to do so... Or maybe they knew all along, and just wanted the publicity they knew such an appearance would bring????

Fuck me that footage is uncomfortable viewing... I wasn't around in the 1900's to see Joseph Merrick paraded around the fairs and freak-shows of Victorian Britain, but I imagine the experience wasn't dissimilar!
Could none of the laughing howling audience not SEE he was wasted, shame on the bloke too busy shouting out 'Yid Army' not to notice that one of our country's greatest footballing talents was disintegrating before their very eyes...

...and even more shame on Gazza's army of "ill-advisors", that allowed him into that situation in the first place, when it was clear he wasn't in a fit state to do so... Or maybe they knew all along, and just wanted the publicity they knew such an appearance would bring????

Maybe it's a case of pushing him out of the shadows into the sunlight so that the press suddenly go "oh look gazza is on the bottle again we best highlight it." Thus forcing him to get help?

I couldn't make it more than 45 seconds of that video.....absolutely shocking...

you obviously haven't met my ex wife then. You'd vote it in as mandatory if you did.
eHFKq.gif

Someone earlier told me Ronnie Irrani helped out with getting him into rehab.

Anyone know the connection because its a new one on me

ALCOHOLIC Paul Gascoigne has jetted to the US and admitted to a clinic after star friends led by DJ Chris Evans teamed up to pay for emergency rehab.

Evans, ex-Three Lions team-mate Gary Lineker, Britain’s Got Talent judge Piers Morgan and former England cricketer Ronnie Irani pledged a small fortune — as fans sent messages of support.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4779127/Celebrity-pals-get-Paul-Gascoigne-into-US-rehab-centre.html#ixzz2K3s2FMkL

Back
Top Bottom