Players leaving for sale or loan

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think Defoe is good enough as a lone striker and not able to play out wide.
I still think of him as an inconsistent, promising kid who might improve...not going to happen.

Personally I see him as an ideal 3rd choice striker but can't imagine he'd be accepting of that!

Defoe would be useful as an impact sub from the bench, but he is not a starter, would he be happy with that - I think not.

I think you may be right about Defoe, I think he will be looking for a starter role with another club if he wants to be thought of for the World Cup

I think you may be right about Defoe, I think he will be looking for a starter role with another club if he wants to be thought of for the World Cup

You say that, but you don't even have to be playing regularly to get a game for England now.

Look at Chamberlain. Didn't start a game for Woolwich for 3 months yet gets picked for squads and then plays in both friendlies. Defoe will start games, he will come off the bench in games. This will be more than enough to keep him in the squad. He scored 1 league goal in months and yet still played against Ireland.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we start next season with or without both Adebayor and Defoe - AVB will listen to offers, or Levy will, for both. Everything is pointing toward one of them leaving for sure, out of the two, sentimentally says keep Defoe but for the team, keep Adebayor.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we start next season with or without both Adebayor and Defoe - AVB will listen to offers, or Levy will, for both. Everything is pointing toward one of them leaving for sure, out of the two, sentimentally says keep Defoe but for the team, keep Adebayor.

Depends who he gets in might not be able to play with Adebayor or Defoe, I know they are different but they are pulling in say Villa which one will benefit the team most by staying.

You say that, but you don't even have to be playing regularly to get a game for England now.

Look at Chamberlain. Didn't start a game for Woolwich for 3 months yet gets picked for squads and then plays in both friendlies. Defoe will start games, he will come off the bench in games. This will be more than enough to keep him in the squad. He scored 1 league goal in months and yet still played against Ireland.
Defoe's dad never beat Brazil, though.

Depends who he gets in might not be able to play with Adebayor or Defoe, I know they are different but they are pulling in say Villa which one will benefit the team most by staying.

I'm not sure it is relevant. In my, admittedly 'not-in-the-know opinion, I don't see us playing two up top very often, unless a goal down with ten to go. All that matters is how that one striker plays alongside the wide attacking players...and in this case Adebayor is definitely better than Defoe. It can't be too surprising that Adebayor was weakened by Bale not being out wide...

Can only see one going unless we sell one then recieve a too good to turn down offer for the other.

You'd hope we'd have a replacement signed prior to any sale or who we sell will dictate who we sign.

Using Villa as an example, if we were to sign him, i can only see Defoe going as there will always be that cold night in Stoke where we've hit the post 6 times and need a big bloke to resort to lumping it into the box for the last 5 minutes. Conversely having two 'big' guys prevents us from fully being able to exploit tall, slow centre halves.

Like I said, can only see one going and it could be either depending on our incomings.

I know Ade isn't and will never be popular around here but lest we forget he finally found his best form right at the end of last season. Now unlike last year, he'll get a full preseason with his teammates, there'll be no ACN to fuck things up, he'll be playing with a better squad around him...

Sell Defoe, bring in Villa and one other young forward, preferably one versatile enough to also play out wide in a pinch in a 4-3-3 and we'll be set.

If we sign Villa and get rid of JD where's the cover? We're back in the same situation as last season. Villa is going to be 32 in 5 months I can't see us throwing serious money at him. Good player, but he is just too old. I really, really can't see it happening - it just goes against everything we do.

Blimey, I should get a job as one of them itkwhasemerecalleds.
TaEYdUZ.png

well, seeing as Villa ain't coming, as it stands, we've got Defoe, Ade, Kane & Obika!

I imagine ONE of Defoe or Ade will be off... Kane has got '1 more loan season' written all over him, and surely Obika is due for retirement any day now...??

....so assuming we HAVE to sign another striker, (I'm thinking Benteke) we'll still be left with two first choice strikers, and possibly a youth player as 3rd choice! Same as last season then!

Back
Top Bottom