Poch sacked

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can you explain how he did this? I can link to interviews where he takes responsibility for performance, refuses to criticize lack of transfer activity, gives backing to players that are not performing. Why do you think he was he trying to get fired?
Are we just talking about stuff he said?

I cannot prove he wanted to be fired but I cannot shake the suspicion. And if you like, I will try to explain it, sure.

I don't really feel that gutted about him being gone? Anybody else feel that way?

Like I am grateful for what he did for this club and I will always remember the good times but I kind of feel like the only reason I rated him as highly as I did is because I thought he was the best our owners would ever give us.

Now we have Mourinho and I kind of feel like Poch was a little overhyped, is that just me?

No, Mourinho would not have suited the AVB/Sherwood squad, we needed a manager who motivated young players and was used to working with more average ability, Poch is the best at that type of thing.

Mourinho is a tactical genius but who needs players of a higher caliber and often more mature players. This squad is much more suitable to his strengths.

if your going to get a Mourinho now is the time, we would not have had the size, squad for him back before. Poch is brilliant at what he does, Mourinho at what he does, both suit different types of teams.

Last edited:
Mourinho took over, with all his staff, 12 hours after Poch was sacked. That means negotiations had been going on for months. Poch would certainly have heard about that via the grapevine, probably the senior players knew it as well.

So he has been doing his job, saying all the right things in public, while his boss has been preparing to throw him under the bus. And people wonder why he was looking pissed off ...
The other story is that Poch was asked to resign last week and refused. Levy then decided the axe must fall and made the call to Jose. One week is an awfully long time in football.

Just seen that Poch’s compensation will be paid in instalments. If he accepts another job during the payments then the compensation will stop being paid.

Levy strikes again.

Just seen that Poch’s compensation will be paid in instalments. If he accepts another job during the payments then the compensation will stop being paid.

Levy strikes again.
That is pretty standard on the continent, particularly in Italy I believe.

Which is why it is also a bit common to see Serie A coaches return to a club that fired them. They were already on the books to begin with.

Maybe been mentioned already, but far too many pages to go through - assuming Levy lead with the old “if you were to resign, we’d accept“ gambit, trying to save the club a load of cash, would it have been possible to pick up the phone to Real, Bayern, ManU and say “you like our manager but it would normally cost you a fortune to get him. Take him today and he’s yours for free”. ? Thus saving us a big pay off?

Maybe been mentioned already, but far too many pages to go through - assuming Levy lead with the old “if you were to resign, we’d accept“ gambit, trying to save the club a load of cash, would it have been possible to pick up the phone to Real, Bayern, ManU and say “you like our manager but it would normally cost you a fortune to get him. Take him today and he’s yours for free”. ? Thus saving us a big pay off?
Doubt it. In the managerial game, someone had to make the first move (Us, The Scum, United, PSG, Real, Barca). If we would've waited, maybe some club would pay us, but that was way too risky, so Levy decided to pull the trigger himself first.

Just when I thought I got over it...

It's sad and we all loved Poch but let's be real.

He stitched up the Saints fans when he jumped ship to us, and I've read a few articles that claim that he was ready to jump ship to Man Utd and expected to get the job before Ole got it.

We will never know, but the point is. Football is a cut throat business, there is no loyalty in it.

Back
Top Bottom