Poch sacked

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The word is that Levy and Poch met and ultimatums were issued and agreed last week. Poch then decided he wasn't happy about that just a week later, so a pissed off Levy gave him the boot. Annoying that Poch agreed last week then changed his mind this week, we could have made the change a week ago ... shame but it's been coming.

Devastated by the news. Loved Poch but knew this was coming at the end of 17-18 (ain't that right RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK ). Poch might be too nice a guy...and that's part of why I hold him in such high esteem.

But instead of this Mou hogwash I'm plumping for Marcelino. There, I said it. The football will be better and he is as free as Mourinho...AND HE WON SILVERWARE LAST SEASON AGAINST BARCA.**** They (Valencia) also have had the best defensive record in La Liga and 2nd best chances created last season. And he was brilliant at Villareal before that. Brilliant manager, speaks not a lick of English though and requires full control with his handpicked DOF. Would be a great get. Bill Madrid Bill Madrid any thoughts?

****of course he does have a habit of telling ownership and mgmt they are shit when they are, in fact, shit. Which is why he got the axe this season. but he would last just as long as Mou would at least and wouldn't need half the money to get the team playing well.

Interesting point from the Times here

Mauricio Pochettino signalled a desire to leave but refused the request from #thfc to resign as he did not want to walk away without compensation. [The Times]

The word is that Levy and Poch met and ultimatums were issued and agreed last week. Poch then decided he wasn't happy about that just a week later, so a pissed off Levy gave him the boot. Annoying that Poch agreed last week then changed his mind this week, we could have made the change a week ago ... shame but it's been coming.

Ultimatums? Who gave them to who and what kind are we talking?

Mauricio Pochettino signalled a desire to leave but refused the request from #thfc to resign as he did not want to walk away without compensation. [The Times]

Yesterday evening - club brief press about him possibly leaving
This evening - confirmation from the club
Now - club brief press about him wanting to resign

All news stories reported by the same papers

Loved the guy and so sad to see him go, but the writing was on the wall since Burnley and more importantly he just did not show any desire or capability to change things around this season...wish him the best just hope he doesn't end up with another club in England...atleast not for now. As for us, god only knows whats next, hoping and praying levy had a plan in mind but that's probably hoping for too much. The fact is we need a manager who has actually WON things, something we haven't had in donkeys years. So I will take experience and pedigree over another promising young manager for now....but what the hell do I know!

EJwsKjWW4AIv56z

As the team got older, they couldn't continue that intensity that was the hallmark of our game.

I think this is the biggest factor of all. Poch started with a young bunch who over achieved, and ran around like their hair was on fire. That’s too hard to maintain as they become older and are “saddled with success”
Watch Kane from a few years ago chasing down EVERY ball even though he had little chance of getting it. Compare that to what you see today. I know it’s hard to keep up that kind of drive as you age, yet somehow I see Vardy do it, but he’s an animal.

That coupled with little or no new blood to keep up the insane drive = mediocrity.

They’ll be flattered at first, then reality would sink in.

He’s certainly not an ‘arm around the shoulder’ manager like Pochettino. As I said in the Mourinho thread, I’d like to see him appointed out of morbid curiosity. Just the idea of him doing a press conference in the club clothing seems like an acid trip.

Ultimatums? Who gave them to who and what kind are we talking?

Levy wanted assurances from Poch and vice-versa at a meeting last week, it seems that yesterday Poch told Levy he didn't accept what had been agreed just a week before, no idea what that was, results? league positron? CL? transfer budget? your guess is as good as mine ... when Poch changed his mind the club started briefing he was gone .... apparently DL was extremely pissed off, he feels Poch has been given massive support yet keeps 'blaming' the club, having a top four squad and then spending 100m should not have seen us go backwards .... Poch was given the tools but somehow got lost along the way.
Hope the breakup can be amicable ... not sure if it is behind the scenes it will look good ... shame but it was coming for a while.

I'm gutted - these last 5 years have been the best and I don't understand why that counts for nothing when faced with the current poor run. Can't help but agree with previous comments - players and directors need to take a long look at themsleves.

Just Levy being Levy

Levy: Mauricio, do you mind resigning?
Poch: We have a contract you need to honor..
Levy: If you resign tho I don’t have to pay you
Poch: pound sand
Levy: You’re fired

The 'proof of the pudding' as they say will be where the club goes from here and how well Poch does in his next appointment.
The club has made a decision and as supporters of that club we must trust and hope it is the right one to take Spurs forward.
Time will ultimately be the judge.

I for one will watch Poch's next job with great interest. I wish him every success and look forward to the future of this club with a positive and optimistic attitude.

Such a shame it’s ended like this, but it was always likely to. It’s rare that a manager can ride of into the sunset on a wave of success with everyone’s best wishes ringing in his ears.

I‘ve a huge amount of time for the guy and loved 80% of his time here. But the timing of this is spot on. I’m sure he’ll do well wherever he ends up next.

Back
Top Bottom