Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
In a a results business thats worrying

Not really plenty of managers don't have the results they get when they move to bigger clubs prior to getting there.

Look at all the shitting on every manager brought up so far, even those with results get their results marginalized anyways.

It's time for change.

It's time for Steve Kean.

Steve-Kean-Blackburn-Manc-007.jpg
"And this one is a rooster. But it hasn't got a beak. And I need a screen and a light to make real shadows"

Thanks for the points.

I strongly disagree about the standard of SA football tbh. Watch some matches if you haven't whilst it's not the Premier league it's a way above championship level. Then look at the Dutch league, 12 team only 3 or 4 will ever win it, mainly Ajax. Maybe Ajax are better than the best Argentinian or Brazilian teams, but feyenoord, AZ, PSV these teams arent. All fair matches.

When you actually analyse it in detail those SA leagues get raided for their best players all the time purely because of money it's nothing to do with quality.

The pressure over there on coaches and players is huge because money isn't the large factor over there the same way it is in Europe. If you're successful in SA, you're generally successful in Europe.

As for multicultural stuff I'm not defending Argentina because its definitely got a lot of racism, but Poch was argentine, we have argentine players and ex players. Gallardo has played in different countries so im sure multiculturalism wouldn't be an issue here. Hey I don't know him personally though.

A side note, Poch being close with him you could imagine they would speak. What better person to have in your ear moving into spurs than Poch who knows those players and the club inside out and would be happy for his friend to succeed.

That's completely fantasy there but who knows lol I'm trying to find some light after these depressing years and after all this Potter or Parker just do not light my fire.

Ten Haag would. So would the unknown of Gallardo considering his promise on paper. He's no AVB put it that way. He's older and has won things already in a good quality league.
Sorry, I really don't rate South American football that highly at this point. I don't think they are above Championship level. I don't rate the Eredivisie highly, but I do rate the Champion's League highly, and you can get almost half a PL season's worth of matches for Ten Hag in the Champion's League. And the performances he coached out of Ajax teams there are consistently very, very good against much richer, better-resourced teams.

I also rate Potter very highly for similar reasons. He does have excellent European performances in his coaching background. That counts for a lot as we are a club which needs a manager comfortable with the rhythm of consistent European competition as well as a domestic campaign. The Cope Libertadores gives a similar rhythm, but not the same quality level.

Poche was Argentine, but played for 20 years, and exclusively coached in, Europe. He has that experience in multicultural man management Gallardo does not. I don't trust relationships he might have with Poche either. I don't think that's really a factor worth considering. The issue is Gallardo vs the other options available. I think there are far too many question marks.

Not really plenty of managers don't have the results they get when they move to bigger clubs prior to getting there.

Look at all the shitting on every manager brought up so far, even those with results get their results marginalized anyways.
Its Very rare managers get the big jobs without getting the results first. If thats the case we could appoint anyone playing pretty football but done nothing

At this stage I don't think there's anything Levy will do thats predictable. The ESL, Jose etc shows this we can't judge where we are financially and what he has planned because we just don't know.

Regarding CV, we will have to beg to differ. I think winning titles in SA and becoming a clubs most successful manager shows he can take a club to the next level.

Ajax winning isn't a shock either. Its always going to be them or someone else and their academy is world class.

By your token on Potter and Parker, its just so short term. Eddie Howe was successful for a spell with Bournemouth and I see him a better manager than the above 2.

Could Gallardo have finished mid table and then relegated with Bournemouth? Could he finish bottom half with Brighton? Relegation with Fulham?

This is what you're comparing winning titles in SA to doing in the Premier league that's what I can't get my head around. It's too narrow minded for an English league thats dominated by foreign players and managers.

What? I said I like him not sure how I am doing anything that's too narrow minded for an English league.

Howe is definitely not a better manager than Potter, Parker not sure I would have them fairly similar. Could Potter have won titles in Argentina with a top team? Yes

I think it is some what easy to say what Levy will do and taking a massive risk on a SA manager that doesn't speak English, has never worked in Europe, let alone England and that 95% of fans have never heard of seems insanely unrealistic.

People may say that Levy is stupid but he will definitely be thinking of optics when he makes this move, doesn't mean it will be the only decision but I can't see him taking the massive risk that Gallardo will be. It isn't in his nature at all and he has never shown that in his managerial hires, player transfers or any way in which he runs Spurs.

He ticks a lot of the boxes that should make him a big success at Spurs.

1. Goals scored:

His Brighton team create more chances that anyone else other than the likes of City. That they don't score from those chances is down to the strikers they have and the budget that he's had to work to. Bloom won't push the boat out for that, up to a certain percentage of turnover and no more - sound familiar?

Can you imagine what he'd do at Spurs if we created those chances for us but with Kane and Son to finish them off? And not Welbeck?

They've lost a lot of games this season. But: only 3 by more than one goal (Chavs, City, Leicester). 2 of those at the start. Which means they probably wouldn't have lost many more than that. Looks like they've competed in every game this season barring 3.

The A23 Derby (groan) games v Palace were a case in point. Brighton created I think 50 chances in those games, scored one goal. Got one point.

2. Goals against:

Barring the first few matches (see above), he's got the defence sorted. Which is more than we've done, even with 2/3rds of a season of bus-parking.

3. Youth:

One of the selling points for him going to Brighton was their Academy. I'd bet ours is WAY better than Brighton's. Just look at the amount of International caps we've produced in the past 7-8 years. Even our REJECTS end up playing for their countries.

In 2 years our Under-18's will be pushing for first-team or loans. They are looking like they could be the best Academy group we've ever had. We need someone who will do the right thing here.

4. Man Management:

Got a degree in Leadership and Emotional Intelligence. Which means he at least KNOWS how to motivate all sorts. Which is probably the most important skill that a manager can have in the PL. The others I'd say are selecting the team, choosing the tactics, and buying well. If you have a decent coach and scouts you're more than half way with those 3.

I've never seen him throw a player under the bus after a defeat, nor would I expect it.

5. PL Experience.

6. Teams play good, attractive football which would fill the stadium.

NB. Nice to have:

- he comes across well in interview. No toys thrown out of prams;

- hasn't failed anywhere. Did an outstanding job in Sweden, a good job at Swans with all his best players sold from underneath him (and no complaints in the press), and he's a striker short of a very good job at Brighton.

Seems to be popular with players and fans wherever he goes.

Having just move to Brighton, I get a bit of low down on him from mates who support them. Often they're Spurs who have them as a 2nd local team.

I don't think Levy will go for him, he doesn't have CL experience. Not a big enough name to get buyers interested and the value of the club up.

Football is a pretty simple game. Some of the things he's good at, we're missing. What he's missing, we've got.

Maybe I'm being too logical.
....unfortunately for Potter, and key to all this is: he looks like the bloke from 'Sooty'
40461.jpg
0_Mirror-FeatureText-Rachael-BletchleySooty-Sweep-and-Soo-and-their-right-hand-man-Richard-Cadell.jpg

...now I've nothing against Richard Cadel, but we need BOX OFFICE GLAMOUR to sell our 'brand' to 'Murrica and Aisa...

Not a bloke who talks into the ear of a mute yellow sock!

(But yes, if we weren't 'Spurs' I'd have him in a heartbeat!)

Its Very rare managers get the big jobs without getting the results first. If thats the case we could appoint anyone playing pretty football but done nothing

Lampard, Poch, Arteta, Roy, Brenton, Moyes, Ole, Pellegrini all recent mangers for the "big 6" that hadn't done much in their careers before being given a big job.

There are only so many managers that have got great results lately so if we need someone with a history of big wins the list is going to be pretty tiny or non-existent. Plus we just hired the guy with the "best" results and we saw what a goddamn tire fire that was.

For me, my current order of preference is probably:

Ten Hag
Potter
Galtier (big stylistic risk)
Marsh (probably gone to Leipzig)
Garcia
Fonseca
Frank
Parker

There are a couple of others as well but I do not know about their level of English.

That Gallardo chap that somebody mentioned the other day looks like a pretty good candidate. Why hasn't his name been dropped into the hat too?

Doesn't speak English and has never managed or worked in Europe. I think those would be the two biggest reasons he likely isn't mentioned or on the radar.

Doesn't speak English and has never managed or worked in Europe. I think those would be the two biggest reasons he likely isn't mentioned or on the radar.
Yeah... and the likely fact that it's never going to happen... but whoever pointed him out the other day actually made quite a good shout, I reckon. He looks good.

Yeah... and the likely fact that it's never going to happen... but whoever pointed him out the other day actually made quite a good shout, I reckon. He looks good.

There is certainly a lot to like about him but considering at this point there are still questions about whether he is even coming over to Europe let alone the EPL or Spurs, I am not surprised there have been no links or discussion about him.

There is certainly a lot to like about him but considering at this point there are still questions about whether he is even coming over to Europe let alone the EPL or Spurs, I am not surprised there have been no links or discussion about him.
Someone should try and set him up on a date with Levy... some kind of meeting...

Thoughts...
I always rated Moyes. He got harsh treatment after United. Didn't get the time to adjust his approach from a top six pursuit at Everton with very limited funds, to a title winning United mindset. Maybe he wasn't the right fit, but he was treated too harshly... Good work with West Ham, but not sure he's the right guy for Spurs. Wouldn't be against him, but would we do any more than challenge for top 6 under Moyes?

He ticks a lot of the boxes that should make him a big success at Spurs.

1. Goals scored:

His Brighton team create more chances that anyone else other than the likes of City. That they don't score from those chances is down to the strikers they have and the budget that he's had to work to. Bloom won't push the boat out for that, up to a certain percentage of turnover and no more - sound familiar?

Can you imagine what he'd do at Spurs if we created those chances for us but with Kane and Son to finish them off? And not Welbeck?

They've lost a lot of games this season. But: only 3 by more than one goal (Chavs, City, Leicester). 2 of those at the start. Which means they probably wouldn't have lost many more than that. Looks like they've competed in every game this season barring 3.

The A23 Derby (groan) games v Palace were a case in point. Brighton created I think 50 chances in those games, scored one goal. Got one point.

2. Goals against:

Barring the first few matches (see above), he's got the defence sorted. Which is more than we've done, even with 2/3rds of a season of bus-parking.

3. Youth:

One of the selling points for him going to Brighton was their Academy. I'd bet ours is WAY better than Brighton's. Just look at the amount of International caps we've produced in the past 7-8 years. Even our REJECTS end up playing for their countries.

In 2 years our Under-18's will be pushing for first-team or loans. They are looking like they could be the best Academy group we've ever had. We need someone who will do the right thing here.

4. Man Management:

Got a degree in Leadership and Emotional Intelligence. Which means he at least KNOWS how to motivate all sorts. Which is probably the most important skill that a manager can have in the PL. The others I'd say are selecting the team, choosing the tactics, and buying well. If you have a decent coach and scouts you're more than half way with those 3.

I've never seen him throw a player under the bus after a defeat, nor would I expect it.

5. PL Experience.

6. Teams play good, attractive football which would fill the stadium.

NB. Nice to have:

- he comes across well in interview. No toys thrown out of prams;

- hasn't failed anywhere. Did an outstanding job in Sweden, a good job at Swans with all his best players sold from underneath him (and no complaints in the press), and he's a striker short of a very good job at Brighton.

Seems to be popular with players and fans wherever he goes.

Having just move to Brighton, I get a bit of low down on him from mates who support them. Often they're Spurs who have them as a 2nd local team.

I don't think Levy will go for him, he doesn't have CL experience. Not a big enough name to get buyers interested and the value of the club up.

Football is a pretty simple game. Some of the things he's good at, we're missing. What he's missing, we've got.

Maybe I'm being too logical.

You are not. Potter has done a complete overhaul of a system.

That is what I think people aren't grasping when they look at the league table. It's Brighton FFS. They are not Spurs who had talent like Kane, Eriksen, Dele when Poch came in and changed the ethos. Or Liverpool with Klopp who had Salah, Mane, Henderson.

They have quite a few championship-level players playing regularly and a very strong scouting network. Veltman for 1.5m. Lamptey for 3m. Burn a LWB? Solly March playing out of his skin.

A complete change in club culture and I expect, if he is back at Brighton next year, that we will see that jump up the table. They need a striker. Shit if they had Origi from Liverpool, who barely plays, they would be well on their way to 10th.

This is what so many people on this board want. A plan. A change in culture. Potter has the mentality, the staff, and the style of ball that will get our 60k fans out of their seats and cheering "COYS!"

Last edited:

Sweet Lord in heaven take me now. Let the rapture wash over me and may physical disintegration embrace my corporeal form.

I have sinned and verily recognise your punishment. I beg for forgiveness.

Amen.

Back
Top Bottom