Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Now Brighton are virtually safe I doubt very much Potter would even want to come to Spurs , I'm not sure the managers job here will be seen as a step up for Potter knowing full well the type of chairman we have compared to Brighton .

Levy has destroyed any good name the club ever had and Tony Bloom will fight tooth and nail to keep Potter at Brighton , if it turns into a poker game there's only 1 winner .

I think the damage caused will take years to get over and the club will have to take a chance on a unknown manager or one off the magic managerial roundabout.

Don't be ridiculous. Brighton have spent a total of six season in the top flight in their entire history. And they will likely be relegated again in the next few years. They'll face a struggle every season to keep hold of their best players. The resources available at a club like Spurs are significantly higher than at Brighton, who aren't even a second tier PL club. When a top 6 club comes in for you, there's no way a manager at a club like Brighton could say no.

Now Brighton are virtually safe I doubt very much Potter would even want to come to Spurs , I'm not sure the managers job here will be seen as a step up for Potter knowing full well the type of chairman we have compared to Brighton .

Levy has destroyed any good name the club ever had and Tony Bloom will fight tooth and nail to keep Potter at Brighton , if it turns into a poker game there's only 1 winner .

I think the damage caused will take years to get over and the club will have to take a chance on a unknown manager or one off the magic managerial roundabout.

You aren’t sure that our job will be seen as a step up from Brighton?!

season 2 what GIF by BBC Three

Bournemouth were soft touch the whole time they were in the PL. Eddie Howe is never mentioned for top jobs because his teams didn't really impress anyone that much. Potter's Brighton team has.
Eddie Howe was definitely mentioned for top jobs before Bournemouth were eventually relegated, and didn’t impress as much as Potter Brighton is that a joke ? They had 3 seasons where they were actually mid table and even came 9th one year. Potter hasn’t come close to that with Brighton and couldn’t achieve promotion to the Prem with Swansea, which is something Howe achieved with Bournemouth

I definitely do not want Howe as manager, just pointing out he’s yet another manager who has a better CV than Potter which is why it’s so baffling so many of you want him in charge of us.

Everton have a champions league winning manager and levy is somehow getting some spurs fans excited by the managerial appointment of Graham fucking potter 🤣🤣🤣

I don't know how much truth it is in this article but still interesting.

Watching Tottenham perform like this, you imagine coaches would be queuing up to work with these players next season.

You might not call it Spurs’ most complete performance of recent months, simply since it came against the Premier League’s bottom side. But too often in 2021, Spurs games have felt like Harry Kane trying to carry 10 team-mates on his back, and no one would say that of Sunday’s 4-0 win over Sheffield United.

It was not only about Gareth Bale either, even as he gave his best performance since returning to the club, with a brilliant hat-trick. Son Heung-min played as well as he has in months. Dele Alli, in just his third league start of the season, showed what a dangerous all-round player he is, and how strange it is how little he has featured this season. Sergio Reguilon and Serge Aurier, the two full-backs, never gave Sheffield United one second of rest.

Put it all together and you have the clearest sign in months that these players, despite everything said about them, are actually pretty good. And that the vacant Tottenham head coach job would be a very attractive one to many people.

Those two points might sound obvious but both of them have been contested in recent weeks, if not for longer.

We have spent all of this season and most of the last one arguing about the state of this Tottenham squad. Whether this group of players are weak-willed bottlers who need the firm hand of an authoritative manager to teach them how to win, or whether they are actually very good players who simply need to be trusted, encouraged and set free.

That debate was inseparable from the debate over Jose Mourinho’s management of the club. His argument this year ultimately boiled down to that first point, that these players were not good enough to attack, that they had to defend, since that was the only way they could guard against the mistakes they would inevitably make. Now Mourinho has gone, having lost the argument, you might expect more people to believe that these players are worth persisting with.

But this week, another form of pessimism has threatened to set in. People have argued that the Tottenham job is no longer an attractive one, and that coaches would be reluctant to take over here, given how many issues the club has to resolve.

Two events in Europe this week appeared to show that Tottenham’s hunt for a new head coach was faltering. First, in Munich, Bayern confirmed that Julian Nagelsmann would leave RB Leipzig to become their new head coach for next season. Spurs’ long-term interest in Nagelsmann was no secret, and he would have been a very attractive replacement for Mourinho. But Bayern got there first.

When Erik ten Hag then signed a new contract at Ajax, just days before he was expected to start talking to Tottenham, it looked like another blow, one forcing Daniel Levy to go further down his list before he could find someone willing to manage Spurs next season.

Tottenham might well feel that this is an unfair misrepresentation of their situation. The reality is the club is starting a process — Mourinho was only sacked two weeks ago — that involves putting together a shortlist before making a final decision. Since Tottenham have not decided on the favoured candidate yet, they have not offered anything to anyone, which means that no one has turned them down.

Even with Nagelsmann and Ten Hag out of the picture — and with Brendan Rodgers not interested in leaving Leicester City right now — it feels implausible that other talented accomplished coaches would not be interested in trying to train these players for next season.

Who would not want to work with the telepathic strike pairing of Son and Kane? Who would not want to try to get the best out of Dele? Who would not want to try to get a full season from Tanguy Ndombele and Giovani Lo Celso if they are both now fully settled into the English game? Who would not want to get Aurier and Reguilon charging up and down the flanks, pinning back the opposition, threatening to recall the glory days of Kyle Walker and Danny Rose four years ago? And who — if Bale does one more loan season at Tottenham — would not want to work with one of the greatest players in British history?

Very few coaches out there — whether in club or international football — would not be interested in trying to solve these questions next season. And that is before we consider that 2021-22 might be the first complete season of fully attended home games at this stadium.

There is always a temptation at the end of a failed season like this to get too pessimistic and to fear that a team like Tottenham can never get back to where they were only two or three seasons ago. Watching Spurs struggle to even get on the ball against Manchester City at Wembley last Sunday only made this worse. Tottenham did not look like a team who would be challenging the biggest teams again any time soon.

But then Tottenham were facing the best team in the world and were doing so six days into the managerial career of a 29-year-old novice. Maybe some of the post-match analysis was too harsh. Maybe that game should be judged differently.

Because if you take Mason’s two Premier League games, against admittedly gentle opposition, they have showcased a group of players slowly growing in confidence, remembering how to attack and play again, how to cohere as a team once again. Fourth place might well be beyond Tottenham now but good performances in their last four league games will continue to transform the mood. And to alert plenty of coaches that the raw materials here are worth working with.

I realise that Potter is a huge risk. He's not proven. But I have followed him for a long time. And I am confident that he will be a very successful coach. I just hope it's with us. Apart from that I enjoy watching his teams football, something I'm not that spoiled with under our last coach.

Back
Top Bottom