Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Absolutely. It is both - buying and selling that is an issue.
See my recent post about Ndombele purchase + wages -> effect to club cost base in the future.

Our selling is appalling. We all assume it’s because Levy doesn’t get his price and he lives for the deal but I don’t know the reason but whatever it is it is killing us.

I was looking at our bloated squad and thought we need to buy about 5-6 players and we should be good, 2 CB’s, 1 RB, 1 AM, 1CF and maybe another CM. Yet we need to sell around 8-12 players depending on any new managers view. It’s crazy we have such a selling problem.

Even if you get little for a sale the saving on wages adds up and can be put towards both the wages and the fee of future purchases. Our model lets us grow stagnant.

People keep quoting our transfer spend in a positive light lately.

A good example of our real world spending.

Sissoko
Kante
Wjinaldum

All cost roughly the same. We got the shittest one because he was likely the lowest paid.

NDombele
Fernando's
Mahrez

All cost roughly the same but no doubt TND is the least well paid.

Won't even get into City buying £60m Ruben Dias, who we needed, and us spending £18m on Rodon and not playing him.
Or £40m on Sanchez when better English players were available that would have helped our selection problems.

Okay on this and you make a fair point but it's always the detail.

Of Mahrez and Kante, the only time we were getting either player was before they rose to prominence. Let's not conflate quality players and any failure of trying to secure their services.

On Ndombele and Fernandez, fair shout. For Dias read above.

So I think you are partially right bit equally we must look at what we needed and not just the quality of a player.

No doubt however that our transfer dealings coupled with our inability to develop players has played a big part of our relative decline.

There was one season that we nearly got relegated in the Sugar era... also he had to bring back Klinsmann to save our asses another time.

Managers . Shreeves, Livermore, Clemence, Francis, Graham. Francis was considered a good appointment at the time, but the rest? Odd.

I'm not saying it was brilliant. I'm saying other than property loans, we haven't got anymore in 20 years of ENIC than we had in 10 years of Sugar.

There is no excuse for it. They have only spent money where there is money to be made.
In 2021 you could agrue that the equivalent bringing Klinsman in to save our arses is the same as bringing maybe Aguero or Suarez.
Would ENIC contemplate that? Of course not. No resale value, high wages.

This thread epitomises scapegoating.

We (mostly) all stir up our own emotions and our personal emotions tip in to the mix.

I LOVE YOU ALL

Our selling is appalling. We all assume it’s because Levy doesn’t get his price and he lives for the deal but I don’t know the reason but whatever it is it is killing us.

I was looking at our bloated squad and thought we need to buy about 5-6 players and we should be good, 2 CB’s, 1 RB, 1 AM, 1CF and maybe another CM. Yet we need to sell around 8-12 players depending on any new managers view. It’s crazy we have such a selling problem.

Even if you get little for a sale the saving on wages adds up and can be put towards both the wages and the fee of future purchases. Our model lets us grow stagnant.
Maybe it's that we put shit players on contracts no one else will match and they are quite happy sitting on the bench at Spurs and strutting around the lovely training complex for another two years rather than moving to Newcastle or some equally grim outpost.

Exactly. We've spent plenty of money, but on absolute shite.

Does this coincide with Mitchell leaving and Hitchen taking over?
Possibly but it also coincides with prices going through the roof in the summer of 2016. You're not going to get the next Eriksen for £10m anymore or even the next Alli for £5m and its left us without a plan or any direction in the market. Players we should have been interested last summer like Fofana, Ben Godfrey and Ollie Watkins were all £30m+ .

Nuno Espirito Santo gone to Crystal Palace

This makes a lot of sense. With half of their squad ending their current contracts, him and Jorge Mendes can bring in a bunch of their players easily. Nothing is mere chance. Just watch Vinicius and co go there

Nuno Espirito Santo gone to Crystal Palace

What,like how Conte was on the verge of joining us? Or how ETH is one step away?

Possibly but it also coincides with prices going through the roof in the summer of 2016. You're not going to get the next Eriksen for £10m anymore or even the next Alli for £5m and its left us without a plan or any direction in the market. Players we should have been interested last summer like Fofana, Ben Godfrey and Ollie Watkins were all £30m+ .

How much did Bellingham go for to Dortmund?

The fact is good scouting can get you good deals on players in this market the problem is Levy likes to do a deal. Gone are the days where a player of Dembele’s ability has a £16m release clause and has just made Man Utd midfield look like amateurs.

enhance nic cage GIF

DICK. I'm on a boring ass teams work meeting, and skiving off by browsing here instead. Saw this and snort-laughed, and subsequently got questioned by people as to why I started laughing whilst someone was talking about their recently deceased dog.

FUCKING AWKWARD

I'm not saying it was brilliant. I'm saying other than property loans, we haven't got anymore in 20 years of ENIC than we had in 10 years of Sugar.

There is no excuse for it. They have only spent money where there is money to be made.
In 2021 you could agrue that the equivalent bringing Klinsman in to save our arses is the same as bringing maybe Aguero or Suarez.
Would ENIC contemplate that? Of course not. No resale value, high wages.
Id say apart from the past two seasons we've been pretty good over the past 10 years and hanging about near the top of the table. To me it just seems that we are a better team than in the Sugar era. I liked our team under Rednapp and under Poch, Sherwood was okay in his temp role with us...

...yeah we don't have Gazza, or Ginola, but we did have Modric and we did have Erikson, it's just that we have a shit MF right now for a team aiming to be in the top 4.

The big fuck up was sacking Poch for Jose, and purchasing GLC and Ndobby, and holding onto Winks, Dier & Sissoko have blown their gaskets.

If we play Skip along with PEH and bring in a decent AMF player we're not that far away from Liverpool just a couple of fresh defenders.

The problem is we have too many 'ordinary' players in a huge squad. we could probably sell 8 and buy 4, and be better, so the money has been spread over too many average players instead of going for less but better.

Last edited:
The fact is good scouting can get you good deals on players in this market the problem is Levy likes to do a deal. Gone are the days where a player of Dembele’s ability has a £16m release clause and has just made Man Utd midfield look like amateurs.
I agree but even with good scouting i don't see getting many good players for under £25m and we still seem to act like we can pillage Leeds for Robinson, Keane and Lennon for under £10m combined. I think Levy and our whole approach is stuck in the 2002 to 2015 era when you could get bargains.

Back
Top Bottom