Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
This much is evident from the club’s Amazon documentary, in which the normally reclusive Levy is clearly at pains to present himself as some superior footballing intellect, only to come across as the bloke who sits next to you on a plane and tells you about how he won the Champions League with Bolton on Football Manager.

:levylol:

Having also watched a bit of Dortmund since I watch a lot of Bundesliga I respectfully disagree. Favre kept them where Dortmund "should" be in the league. Finishing 2nd and 4th in both his full seasons.

I could see the argument that they "declined" because Favre did not play as balls to the walls attacking football as Klopp, Tuchel and Bosz did. But he kept them competitive in the league and in the Champions league.

They had a big dip in form in his last season but that happens. A manager's life at a club tends to peter out. Just like it did for Poch with us.

Favre would be a okay appointment for us I think. We are not in a position to turn our noses up at him.
I’d rather have Niko Kovac if we’re talking about prominent ex-Bundesliga managers who broadly fit the description you’re giving.

Favre is also 63. If we’re going to hire someone that age to be our attacking Obi-Wan, let’s be legends and bring Gasperini to the Premier League

Easier to fly out to Italy than for him to fly in I guess.

If he flies in to London he has to quarantine for 10 days before he can meet with the club to sign paperwork. We can send staff to Italy, finalize things and then let those guys work from home once back in the country.
But then the officials have to quarantine when they return.

TND is the best paid out of those 3,according to reports anyway.
Hes on 200k a week
Fernandes 180k
Mahrez 120k

Sissoko is the least paid 10k behind Wijnaldum Liverpool wages.
Way behind Kante 144k

As I, and others, keep saying it's not what we spend, it's how and on who

So, is the story that we lost out on Wijnaldum (and ended up with Sissoko) due to wages incorrect?

I want the DoF even more than a manager. Levy's got to be taken out of the process of football-related decision making. I think he's done a lot for this club, and he's a sharp business mind, but he is not someone with the expertise to be making decisions about managers and players. You cannot start a process with one set of criteria, drop them at a hat for a guy who completely doesn't suit them, and then suddenly turn around and pretend it didn't happen. Consistent winning organizations have plans, and stick to them.

Also, the fact that he would drop everything for Conte when it was clear he didn't suit the situation we're in is highly troubling. Almost as troubling is the idea that Conte jumped at the chance of Spurs without doing any research on the club until almost the point he signed the deal. Both guys needed to get their shit together a lot more.

Completely agree, been saying the same for a very long time. Also, everyone getting bent out of shape about the lack of activity on head coach and player transfers, but it could just be that Levy wants to get the new DOF in first and wants the new DOF to be the one making (or at least having a major input) the head coach decision and then the new DOF and new head coach (Edit and HOR Hitchin) working on transfers together once in situ.

We can argue about who we want and whether we want Paratici etc, but there might just be some logic in the process Levy is following.

And it's not like anything is happening for three or four weeks at least in terms of players back training etc.

Last edited:

enhance nic cage GIF

That's actually a good reason to hire him. Any player that has concerns about a manager being demanding should probably not be in the squad to begin with.

That's actually a good reason to hire him. Any player that has concerns about a manager being demanding should probably not be in the squad to begin with.
I can imagine it might have been a contingent of Winks, Sissoko and or Ndombele.

Though Ndombele is an enigma and he might have wanted a big name manager who wasn't past it.

We've had a net spent of 50-100 million the past couple years. Any team genuinely vying for top 4 has that as a minimum for spend. That's entirely on Levy, not Conte.

For example, I heavily suspect Conte would ask for more money from the likes of United or Liverpool. They'd also give it to him.
I don’t think Liverpool would, but they’d also make very clear up front just where his input into their process ended. They are much better organized on that front.

MUFC would give him about as much money as he wanted, up until it interfered with the Glazer’s skim. After that, he’d get nothing and have to accept it.

The issue isn’t always how much Spurs have spent. It’s the strategy. And the selling, as Tomo Tomo said. You need to get rid of guys as much as bring people in.

Very good post, I'm thankful to ENIC and Levy for his progress since they took over, I have been a supporter of his since day 1. Lately though I have become disillusioned with the clubs direction, the thing Levy is trying to do is build a self sustaining super club with no "capital injection" like City and Chelsea have had. While I was on board with his project, sadly I am of the thought its an impossible task. No matter how much cash a club makes you still need more now, and you need people who know football to be successful, sadly I still don't think Levy gets the sport and to be successful you need to take a risk.

Its so fucking sadly ironic our motto is "To Dare is to Do"
Isn't Manure a self-sustaining super club? So it can be done, but I agree it's awfully hard and will take a long time. Much longer than fans are willing to wait.

Completely agree, been saying the same for a very long time. Also, everyone getting bent out of shape about the lack of activity on head coach and player transfers, but it could just be that Levy wants to get the new DOF in first and wants the new DOF to be the one making (or at least having a major input) the head coach decision and then the new DOF and new head coach working on transfers together once in situ.

We can argue about who we want and whether we want Paratici etc, but there might just be some logic in the process Levy is following.

And it's not like anything is happening for three or four weeks at least in terms of players back training etc.
I agree with this. The flipside is that our expectations should be high for the kind of business we can do when the proper structure is installed.

Back
Top Bottom