Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Th is episode will either break us as a club of any meaningful intent or solidify us as one of the main players.

It is impossible to say with any degree of certainty which way it goes as yet even if the darkness of the skies has a sense of foreboding.

But this is where the theoretical model of the DoF hires the head coach & identifies the talent breaks down.

Pep basically to Shitty said "I want Txiki as DoF".

Just as with the NFL General Manager model, the most successful head coaches basically hire GMs who work for them. Eg Belichick, Kyle Shanahan.

Pep won't be saying "Mr DoF, please buy me a striker with these characteristics", which is what Ramos said to Monchi when they bought Fredi Kanoute from us, & he was perfect for their system. That was a genuine DoF - Head Coach system.

Pep will be saying "Txiki, mate, buy me Kane or Haaland - no one else is acceptable."

Oh come on.

This is Pep " Thiago oder nichts " Guardiola. "Thiago or No One".

The world's top coaches, in all sports, are fucking stubborn about who they want.

I don't agree with you here. Not entirely anyway. City under Txiki/Pep have never really gone out and made a Neymar/Mbappe type purchase. They've spent a fuck ton of money, but they've spent it pretty well, paid some big wages, but a lot of that was about catching up the uber clubs in a short(isn) amount of time. Their rec odd purchase is only about 10-15m more than ours.

There's been plenty of examples of City baulking at players and buying second on the wish list. Last summer they baulked at Kounde's fee and bought Diaz instead.

And Thiago wasn't exactly established first team super star when he took him to Bayern, (he was on the way to becoming one maybe) and at 25m Euro, hardly a money no option signing.

And Thiago wasn't exactly established first team super star when he took him to Bayern, (he was on the way to becoming one maybe) and at 25m Euro, hardly a money no option signing.
Well and that’s sorta a good example right?

If a manager says “I absolutely must have Kylian Mbappe and nothing else will do”, that’s not going to just overturn the long term plans of any well organized structure.

If a manager says “I must have this available and well within our budget player I have worked with before in order to implement our agreed upon ideas into the team”, a good DoF is going to listen. Why wouldn’t he?

These hypothetical tension points about specific player purchases are small and rare if any of this has been set up with any thought. Interests just naturally align.

Where the tension does ratchet up is with the board, with the overall level of funding. And as we saw with Conte, that does push people out of roles.

At ENIC’s Spurs there has never been a distinction between “which player?” versus “how much money?” because Levy solely controls both decisions. Which cannot work in today’s football.

haha.jpg

Because the club's run by morons
I was just about to point that out.

I don't know how much I believe the ITK, but I do believe that Ten Hag was turned off by Levy to the point where he just went back to Ajax. Maybe it was a contract ploy, like Poch, but best believe both of them for sure will get their boards backing.

It's going to be a summer where the open managerial spot at Tottenham will just be a bargaining chip for others.

Wot a fucking joke we've become.

Ten Hag has been such a decent choice the whole time. Why did we just not push for him in the first place?
Levy got distracted by the big name appointment and chased the rainbow for a pot of gold instead of staying with our original targets.

This has always been a problem with Levy he chases players and managers without a plan. The fact is Levy quite often goes without a plan and quite often focuses on target of opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom