Rescinding Yellow Cards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bale's previous two yellow cards for diving were incorrectly given. Each referee should be able to review the yellow cards given in the previous match, if they feel it was incorrect, they are able to say so.

If a red card can be retrospectively rescinded, why not a yellow?

I did consider this, however if there was ever an opportunity to bridge the gap between referee, player and supporter this would be it.

I'm not sure the average card count per game but I doubt it is above 2.5 per game - it wouldn't take long and would give players, of any team, the chance to have their reputation not dragged through the mud further than need be. Bale is responsible for the situation he is in, to an extent, it is recognised by Spurs fans but being one booking away from a suspension for something you haven't done is harsh.

He was fouled, but he did dive, he didn't need to arch his back and flail his arms up like a singer in a gospel choir. **ooooooh praise the lord**

It's a situation he has put himself in. He is a bit of an embarrassment at the moment, even if he is our best player.

As for bookings being overturned I think there should be a right to appeal yellow cards. It's crazy that someone could be sent off for two incorrect bookings, and have to stomach the ban without the right to appeal.

I appreciate the suggestion that Bale does look a bit OTT when going to ground, but when someone trips you at full speed...you're going to go long. It's the nature of physics, someone stops your legs, your body continues and, naturally, your arms will go in front of you to prevent a face-plant.

Maybe, at best, it could be suggested Bale could look to as least try and regain his footing, but as Bale argues himself, he's trying not to get injured and to prevent injury it's best not to have a foot planted, so he goes airborne instead!

I appreciate the suggestion that Bale does look a bit OTT when going to ground, but when someone trips you at full speed...you're going to go long. It's the nature of physics, someone stops your legs, your body continues and, naturally, your arms will go in front of you to prevent a face-plant.

Maybe, at best, it could be suggested Bale could look to as least try and regain his footing, but as Bale argues himself, he's trying not to get injured and to prevent injury it's best not to have a foot planted, so he goes airborne instead!

Nothing wrong with going airborne or trying to protect yourself by putting your hands out. But he doesn't just put his hands out, he throws them in the air and arches his back. That is not going to protect him in any way shape or form. He is doing it to try and win a free kick. He needs to be more subtle.

Nothing wrong with going airborne or trying to protect yourself by putting your hands out. But he doesn't just put his hands out, he throws them in the air and arches his back. That is not going to protect him in any way shape or form. He is doing it to try and win a free kick. He needs to be more subtle.

He doesn't really though does he...
BALE-DIVE.gif

Alright..the one against Fulham doesn't look so great (especially the gif pauses and Bale seems to be looking straight at the Ref..)

1354404816732.gif

The annoying thing is, despite the theatrics, he clearly looks like he's been fouled!

He doesn't really though does he...
BALE-DIVE.gif

He does throw his arms to the side though. You have to admit the theatrics are there. Though it was clearly a fowl. And the ref was in no position to determine whether contact was or wasn't made. Would be interesting to see the linesmans view.

Alright..the one against Fulham doesn't look so great (especially the gif pauses and Bale seems to be looking straight at the Ref..)

1354404816732.gif

The annoying thing is, despite the theatrics, he clearly looks like he's been fouled!

He gets fouled a hell of a lot and badly fouled at that, defenders target him because he has a tendency to go quiet when he is fouled alot. He clearly has a fear that his Ankle will get injured again and I think this plays on the back of his mind. I don't blame him for jumping out of tackles or protecting himself when the likes of Charlie Adams are out to break his legs. I do blame him for being over the top and not only diving, but rolling around a lot after challenges. Quite often he will go down and stay down (looking for a foul.) when there is nothing wrong; while the team tries to continue with ten men.

I think with the fulham example you showed him looking at the ref was why it was given as a dive. This would have distracted the refs view of the tackle and he probably thought "he was looking for the foul" It was a really bad dive IMO, the worst kind, because he didn't need to do it. If he had just gone down the foul would have been given our way, and there tackling midfielder would have probably been booked.

For the Fulham foul he kinda had to throw his caught leg up to not tear any ligaments in the ankle, it was his standing foot, had he stood on it through-out that tackle he would've been out for way more than two weeks with a hammy...

It would create never ending appeals, the FA / PL aren't going to want to create that amount of work for themselves.
^this, plus they would never do anything which would appear to undermine the executive power derided form decision making of the referees.

As for bale, best think he could do is Judo, learn how to fall properly without injuring himself, or Aikido. :adeninja:

Back
Top Bottom