Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ahhhh, when pre-season friendlies were pre-season friendlies!!!

....and not on the other side of the world at 2am!!

There should be a retro pre-season Friendly thread...

I'll start the bidding at Leyton Orient, Southend Utd, Dagenham & Redbridge, and for the well travelled amongst us... Hearts away!
Bournemouth, think it was1972. Massive fight on the cricket pitch after the game and battles all the way back to the station.

Was at Dundee Utd in '88. National Express - 11 hours each way. One of Gazza's first games for us.

Was also at Ibrox the following season for one of Lineker's first in our colours..

Southend was pretty mundane in 1980 - compared to the Pompey game.
Did Reading in '88.
So at least got to visit Elm Park.

Three in his first, one in his last and a couple sandwiched somewhere in between. A season or two before I really got involved but would you know what made him such a cult hero?
No idea TBH, I only saw him live a few times. I saw the three home games at the end of the season we sent the Chavs down - Luton, Chavs and Leeds. He sat on the ball a couple of times, which infuriated the opposition and endeared himself to the supporters. Someone else may come up with a better reply :)

Ahhhh, when pre-season friendlies were pre-season friendlies!!!

....and not on the other side of the world at 2am!!

There should be a retro pre-season Friendly thread...

I'll start the bidding at Leyton Orient, Southend Utd, Dagenham & Redbridge, and for the well travelled amongst us... Hearts away!
The furthest was Celtic, around 1982, and Rangers two years ago.
I used to go to quite a few of them in the early 80s but I can't recall where!

No idea TBH, I only saw him live a few times. I saw the three home games at the end of the season we sent the Chavs down - Luton, Chavs and Leeds. He sat on the ball a couple of times, which infuriated the opposition and endeared himself to the supporters. Someone else may come up with a better reply :)
for me Alfie never lived up to the hype about him, (remembering that we only had newspapers very little on TV & nothing on the radio) looking from today it felt like he was the early gazza but rarely showed any of those skills

alfie_conn.jpg

alfie_conn.jpg

Three in his first, one in his last and a couple sandwiched somewhere in between. A season or two before I really got involved but would you know what made him such a cult hero?
Think the article Jimmy D has posted above gives a decent insight into why he had cult status at Spurs.

I loved watching him play. He could be a joy to watch at times and on his day could mesmerise fans, and opponents alike. Always looking to drive forward and even on rice pudding pitches, could glide past players. Had a nice bit of the needle in him as well (like Dele) and he’d enjoy tying a player in knots or nutmegging them if they tried to foul him. His most famous bit of shithousing was at WHL against Leeds where we needed to avoid defeat to to stay up. To time waste, he sat on the ball during play. Billy Bremner went ballistic apparently and threatened to kick him all over the park. This was the time of the “Dirty Leeds Utd” remember. Richy’s keepy uppies at Forest pale by comparison.

Think it a bit harsh if people assume his record wasn’t staggering or he never did more. His career at Spurs was absolutely plagued with injuries and in fairness, we were flirting with relegation at that time in a side that needed overhauling. Maybe longer under Bill Nick or a different manager he would have flourished, but of course the ex-Goon Terry Neil didn’t like Alfie’s flamboyance and by and large ignored him. Believe they fell out as well. Spurs fans loved Alfie.

Back
Top Bottom