Right Mr Redknapp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bale on the left
Modric in the middle with Parker
VDV on the right if Lennon isnt available

Its not hard.

Tell the FA to fuck off, or that you will do the job at the end of the season. It IS effecting us.
Stop bullshitting "triffic"

This was meant to be "The season" the one that the past 25 years of my Tottenham supporting life where leading up to, and yet we have bottled it, Like times of old.

If the scum finish above us my/our lives will not be worth living. This may seem knee jerk, but it isnt, Its been coming.

I love you Tottenham, why do you toy with my heart.

COYS

He needs to give Bale a fucking massive kick up the ass. I didn't think that the hype would go to his head but you can see it has. Looks like he thinks he's Ronaldo roaming the pitch and lining up free kicks. Don't get me wrong, I love Bale and don't want to sell him (obviously) but he needs a fucking reality check.

I'm always hesitant to blame tactics/individuals, but what I will unequivocally say is that not having any cover for Lennon fucks us over big time. Playing Modric, Bale, Van der Vaart, Kranjcar on the right works once in a while, but usually it's to the detriment of the team, completely stunting our play. They've had ages to get someone in/keep hold of a youth player but haven't.

In other news... I feel a bit sick :vdvcry: :defoe: :gomes:

SpursFTW! said:
Bale on the left
Modric in the middle with Parker
VDV on the right if Lennon isnt available

Its not hard.

Tell the FA to fuck off, or that you will do the job at the end of the season. It IS effecting us.
Stop bullshitting "triffic"

This was meant to be "The season" the one that the past 25 years of my Tottenham supporting life where leading up to, and yet we have bottled it, Like times of old.

If the scum finish above us my/our lives will not be worth living. This may seem knee jerk, but it isnt, Its been coming.

I love you Tottenham, why do you toy with my heart.

COYS

'Arry won't tell the FA to fuck off either because he wants the job or, if not, he's using it to get more money from Levy. 'Arry knows the game so will never publically rule one option out.

I'm all for developing players games which is clearly what Bale is trying to do but fuck me when times are hard go back to what you are good at.

The thing about Bale on the left is that Everton set up entirely to nullify that threat by playing Coelman, who started his career at full back, just infornt of Neville, so theroetically playing him on the other side, where he excells for Wales, isn't the worst decision in the world. Should also be noted that when Bale switched to the left at the end and had a bit of joy it was after Coleman had been taken off...

Although I don't actually believe that and think we should have tried Bale on the left, I'm just pointing out that tactically it's not the 'complete fucking disaster' that is being made out. I personally have always been of the opinion that when we're already weakened on the right, intentionally doing the same in the centre and on the left, by playing your best players out of position, is counter-productive. But despite that we dominated possession, had twice as many attempts as Everton and had umpteen corners to thier none. Questionable tactics but the team out there was more then good enough to come away with the result, waiting for the last 10 minutes to get a little tempo and urgency is what really cost us. Lets not put this all on Harry.

I know we're all a little
qqTbu.gif
at the minute DON'T PANIC!

We're still third and have an good run in. We're just gonna have to do it the Tottenham way instead. Dead rubbers are sooooooo overrated

boxbat said:
I'm always hesitant to blame tactics/individuals, but what I will unequivocally say is that not having any cover for Lennon fucks us over big time. Playing Modric, Bale, Van der Vaart, Kranjcar on the right works once in a while, but usually it's to the detriment of the team, completely stunting our play.

We played Kranjcar and Bentley on the wing in the season we got fourth. Modders in the middle with a DM that ran the midfield and only needed one of Lennon/Bale fit on the opposite wing. Not to mention we've had Gio on the books for fuck knows how long if he felt that any of them couldn't do the job, and Rose, Townsend, Walker etc.

Bottom line is they can do the job, they just don't have the discipline from the top to stay in positions suited best for the team. Everton were organised and we weren't.

The point about Bale on the left imo is being AWARE when it isnt working.

He could have stuck him wide left easily with 20-25 mins to go but he didnt.

HyNdZee said:
boxbat said:
I'm always hesitant to blame tactics/individuals, but what I will unequivocally say is that not having any cover for Lennon fucks us over big time. Playing Modric, Bale, Van der Vaart, Kranjcar on the right works once in a while, but usually it's to the detriment of the team, completely stunting our play.

We played Kranjcar and Bentley on the wing in the season we got fourth. Modders in the middle with a DM that ran the midfield and only needed one of Lennon/Bale fit on the opposite wing. Not to mention we've had Gio on the books for fuck knows how long if he felt that any of them couldn't do the job, and Rose, Townsend, Walker etc.

Bottom line is they can do the job, they just don't have the discipline from the top to stay in positions suited best for the team. Everton were organised and we weren't.

Fair point, but the main thing to note there is that everyone was playing in their positions, because we had Bentley. With Kranjcar on the left, we had four midfielders in their favoured positions, even with Bale and/or Lennon out. Games like today move Modric and Bale out of position, which means that Lennon's absence doesn't just affect the right wing.

Clearly Harry doesn't feel Bentley, Gio, Townsend, Pienaar or anyone else is really up to it, but there was always going to be a scenario where Lennon was missing and needed a proper backup.

I'm not as opposed to playing people out of position as some are - I appreciate the need to be flexible, and to develop players' games, and, well, sometimes you'd just rather have a Bale anywhere on the pitch than say a Gio - and sometimes it's fine. But this team, this season, seems a bit lost when there are changes in shape or personnel.

edit: Agree about Everton being more organised and players holding their positions better, but I guess that's the point. Whether it's our players' faults, or Redknapp's, that they don't have that discipline I'm not sure. But either way the problem wouldn't come about if everyone played where they were most comfortable.

boxbat said:
edit: Agree about Everton being more organised and players holding their positions better, but I guess that's the point. Whether it's our players' faults, or Redknapp's, that they don't have that discipline I'm not sure. But either way the problem wouldn't come about if everyone played where they were most comfortable.

Players playing out of position is a manger's responsibility. Mourinho made Eto'o play right wing when they won the Champions League, Wenger makes Walcott play right wing for the scum despite him wanting to be a striker as well - Redknapp should be able to make Bale play left wing and one of Kranjcar/VdV/Pienaar/long list of other players he has brought in to play the other gaping position out wide.

As for Pienaar not being good enough to face the likes of Everton, he plays for them now and has done before for many years, so he is good enough...

Moyes merked Harry today.

The discipline of his players was immense, they played us perfectly, got the goals and soaked up our pressure.

HyNdZee said:
boxbat said:

Players playing out of position is a manger's fault. Mourinho made Eto'o play right wing when they won the Champions League, Wenger makes Walcott play right wing for the scum despite him wanting to be a striker as well - Redknapp should be able to make Bale play left wing and one of Kranjcar/VdV/Pienaar/long list of other players he has brought in to play the other gaping position out wide.

As for Pienaar not being good enough to face the likes of Everton, he plays for them now and has done before for many years, so he is good enough...

Ultimately it's Harry's job to make sure the players do the job they're asked to, I agree, but then again some players are more suited to certain positions than others, and even if they have the potential to play in a different position, the transformation can take a while. When you're playing at the top level a slight lack of experience in your positional play can be costly.

I never said Pienaar wasn't good enough, in fact when we signed him I'd hoped he would mainly be used as right midfield cover, which he wasn't really. Either way the management didn't feel strongly enough about his worth to keep hold of him this season, yet no real alternative has been provided.

boxbat said:
Ultimately it's Harry's job to make sure the players do the job they're asked to, I agree, but then again some players are more suited to certain positions than others, and even if they have the potential to play in a different position, the transformation can take a while. When you're playing at the top level a slight lack of experience in your positional play can be costly.

I never said Pienaar wasn't good enough, in fact when we signed him I'd hoped he would mainly be used as right midfield cover, which he wasn't really. Either way the management didn't feel strongly enough about his worth to keep hold of him this season, yet no real alternative has been provided.

Yep, like you say if the management haven't considered an alternative for when Lennon gets injured then it is still their issue here. I appreciate it is harder for the likes of Van der Vaart or Kranjcar etc. to play on the right as back-up but they both have put in fantastic performances there before and I honestly believe if Harry gave them the option of being a sub or playing "out of position" they'd choose the limited role every time and give it their best shot.

Modric could probably have done the role better too if he had an extra man in centre-midfield, but he normally is that extra man in centre-midfield which is why it is pointless playing him on the right, especially in a 4-4-2 away from home against organised opposition.

For the record I don't think we played particularly badly against Everton, or United for that matter - even in the scum match there were still significant glimpses of getting a result and I thought we would turn it around after a bollocking from Harry at half-time... but I watch us at the moment and see a group of individuals, not outdone by skill, or even effort or possession, or shots - but just outdone by a team mentality with specific roles outlined to achieve a clear, simple common goal. That's just basic management at a fundamental level and what Harry has been so good at in the past. It's how O'Neill, Moyes, etc. made their names too.

Yeah the performance was alright. It's definitely our current form and the new look league table that makes it seem worse. If this was a game in isolation there would be a lot more 'chin-up, we deserved to win' type of responses. I still think we're performing below the level we're capable of, and playing with less conviction, but we've only been properly outplayed for one half of the last 3 games. We need some luck, some inspiration - just 3 points really, to stop the downward spiral in confidence.

If we continue to lose putting on performances like we did in the second half against Everton, or the first hour against Man U, I can live. I can hold my head up and take the defeats.

But there's no excuse for the shit display the boys put on in the first half. They looked completely apathetic, like they were all waiting for a transfer, or as if they didn't have anything to play for anymore.

Back
Top Bottom