Rio Ferdinand

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

100% yes. He's won everything there is to win in club football, pace aside still a good footballer, taking up the Gallas role as experienced and able backup.

I'd have him for a season. Capable of doing a job as a back up I think. Not sure about his injury record though....and anyway, it's The Mirror reporting this anyhow so probably a load of shite.

I think he is a fabulous player, hugely experienced and a real leader - would welcome him for a season IF he could be relied upon.

As it is I think his fitness is such that he wouldnt really be worth it.

I realise he wouldnt be expected to play all the time, but the times that you do need him (and with us thats usually more than you would like) you really do need him available - I cant honestly say I think it would be the case.

I'm fed up with these signings. Gallas, Nelsen...now Ferdinand. Waaaaay past it, rapidly declining in ability - "WE'LL HAVE HIM!!"

He'll get injured in September, be out til Feb and be lucky to play more than 15 games.

Centre backs aren't expensive. Get your wallet out Levy.

I think he is a fabulous player, hugely experienced and a real leader - would welcome him for a season IF he could be relied upon.

As it is I think his fitness is such that he wouldnt really be worth it.

I realise he wouldnt be expected to play all the time, but the times that you do need him (and with us thats usually more than you would like) you really do need him available - I cant honestly say I think it would be the case.
Just keep him away from remote controls. Job done. :adethumbup:

Can't be any worse than Gallas...and Gallas was ex-double scum filth, yet we managed to tolerate him. He even put in the odd good performance *shock horror*.

dont quite get this if its true...thought we were meant to be a club trying to go forward, bulid for the future? i see no point in paying wages to some one who i think because of fitness and the fact we have better players (currently if they all stay) will rarely play

the rio of a few years ago YES but the rio today...no thanks waste of a squad number if you ask me id rather a youth player be given ago not someone wanting one last pay day before he buggers off the the MLS

The only logic I see is that we do have a VERY young squad, some experience in there could be very valuable.

As said though, I dont think physically he is up to it.

Backup at the most, Chirches and Verts can run, he can't this season he was about as quick as Dawson, never seen a footballer lose his pace so rapidly as Ferdinand and unlike Terry who never had pace to begin with his football brain is not on the same level. Maybe a season at most.

As long as it means dawson leaves and we get another CB I dn't mind. He is better than dawson even now and would bring leadership.

Debatable seen some awful performances from him last season, his positioning was dodgy and without the pace to recover like he used to have not sure it will improve us much. Doubt at Spurs with our injury record he would even play many games anyway, he'll no doubt be injury for the majority.

Dawson, Kaboul, Chiriches, Verts, Ferdinand.

Not one of those 5 stayed injury free through the 2013/14 season. I would really worry about achieving any kind of consistency at the back, which I believe was heavily responsible for our poor goals conceded record this season. Even 2 average centre backs, played on a regular basis, can really give a team something to build on.

Dawson, Kaboul, Chiriches, Verts, Ferdinand.

Not one of those 5 stayed injury free through the 2013/14 season. I would really worry about achieving any kind of consistency at the back, which I believe was heavily responsible for our poor goals conceded record this season. Even 2 average centre backs, played on a regular basis, can really give a team something to build on.
You would boot Dawson and Kaboul and bring in a younger replacement

You would boot Dawson and Kaboul and bring in a younger replacement
I don't know to be honest. I love Kaboul and think he is a top defender on his day, but this knee things seems to be getting worse. Dawson is a club veteran and I do think he still has something to offer, particularly with a lot of younger players in the squad. But he can't be in our first XI anymore if we seriously want to challenge for honours, unless our new manager changes the defensive strategy and plays a deeper line - then he has every chance to compete.

Ferdinand/Vidic
Mertesacker/Koscielny
Terry/Cahill
Jagielka/Distin
Skrtel/Toure even! :paulinhofacepalm:

We need some consistency!

I don't know to be honest. I love Kaboul and think he is a top defender on his day, but this knee things seems to be getting worse. Dawson is a club veteran and I do think he still has something to offer, particularly with a lot of younger players in the squad. But he can't be in our first XI anymore if we seriously want to challenge for honours, unless our new manager changes the defensive strategy and plays a deeper line - then he has every chance to compete.

Ferdinand/Vidic
Mertesacker/Koscielny
Terry/Cahill
Jagielka/Distin
Skrtel/Toure even! :paulinhofacepalm:

We need some consistency!
Vlad and Super Jan for me as starting CBs

IMO he juiced during the years where he was on top of his game. Other Utd defenders were on PEDs back in the day. Stricter testing, his age and wages are not worth it IMO.

Back
Top Bottom