Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

SinghYid

Just Do It
Mason's own thread. Done. That goal deserved him one.

WateryShockingEsok.gif

Brilliant goal, and great celebration ... full of passion!

He was a great substitute today. Literally was a game-changer for us.
The goal aside, he still made notable impact: tidy, decisive passing, and forward thinking.

Even during the preseason, he was one of the players that really impressed me.
Hopefully we see much more of him (including in the PL ... He IS eligible).

Ryan Mason might actually turn out to be the player that we all wanted Carroll to be.

Windy has always said he was one of the best talents he's seen in a his time following the youth squad. Mason has just been so unlucky with injuries and unfortunate loans.

Even without the goal he looked great. Really influenced the game with his creativity, energy, and quick passing. He's earned a premier league start in my estimation. Not against the scum as I think a pairing like Capoue and Stambouli would be better to deal with their acting power but definitely in the near future. He could be an impact sub though.

Also, I know some aren't into the academy homegrown player thing but I love it. I don't believe the whole guts and trying hard thing wins games but when you combine it with talent it is a sight to behold. You look at guys like Kane, Bentaleb, Townsend even Walker and Naughton and Mason tonight and you can see that the club really means something to them. They always give it their best and love the shirt. It's also great how almost all the kids who come through our academy seem to be very technically gifted. Shows the club has the right goals in coaching and recruitment.

That's meant to be a these foreigners are ruining our game thing. We have tons of none academy players who have given it all for the shirt both past and present. But there is a special buzz when you get a player who you can tell has spent years dreaming of breaking into the first team at Spurs and then having a moment like Mason did tonight. For me, it's still one of the best things in football. Absolutely love it and you can see how much it meant to him.

Up Ryan Mason and Up the Spurs.

Could we play mason next to capoue? With eriksen, lamela and chadli/second striker in front?

He played well there in preseason, one of our best players.

But I don't want to turn him into another Dembele. Dembele, Bebtaleb and Mason should be AMs.

We have a horrible habit of playing wingers as defenders. AMs as dm's, cbs as wingbacks etc.

This team needs change. Last season Putting a talented attacking player in the boiler room has kept back Holtby, Siggy, Eriksen, Bentaleb, Chadli, Dembele etc from getting the goals and assists they are capable of.

We have 3 AM spots now that it's obvious that the winger shit is getting us nowhere.

The dm's should be destroyers IMO. Capoue, Stam, Vlad should just get rid of the soft spurs curse along with left and right backs that don't wander.

We have SO MANY GAMES. And real change IMO is jettisoning wingbacks plus Townsend and Lennon and going with our AMs like Mason, Dembele, Bentaleb as our second string to bury AVB style for good.

So I liked your suggestion, but if he's going to play , IMO he should be one of the 3 up front.

IMO our players capable of setting up and scoring are more central. Ade, Kane, Chadli, Eriksen etc and packed midfields will get us more goals than crossing to nobody and I don't want Madon being tasked of recycling the balls adnauseum only for wingbacks and wingers to make him look bad.

Last edited:
Could we play mason next to capoue? With eriksen, lamela and chadli/second striker in front?

Absolutely, that's where he played and excelled in preseason. It would probably be unwise to do so against Woolwich or City in upcoming games considering he is weaker defensively than some of his competitiors for the position. But in Europa or against Newcastle/Southampton (though that's a tough game too) in October I hope we see a lot of him. We've seen a lot of laborious build up play from our midfield so far this season and saw how Mason changed the game today. Obviously a good thirty minute cameo is no proof he can solve that problem but he's earned some chances to see if he can fill that role and make our midfield more fluid.

He played well there in preseason, one of our best players.

But I don't want to turn him into another Dembele. Dembele, Bebtaleb and Mason should be AMs.

We have a horrible habit of playing wingers as defenders. AMs as dm's, cbs as wingbacks etc.

This team needs change. Last season Putting a talented attacking player in the boiler room has kept back Holtby, Siggy, Eriksen, Bentaleb, Chadli, Dembele etc from getting the goals and assists they are capable of.

We have 3 AM spots now that it's obvious that the winger shit is getting us nowhere.

The dm's should be destroyers IMO. Capoue, Stam, Vlad should just get rid of the soft spurs curse along with left and right backs that don't wander.

We have SO MANY GAMES. And real change IMO is jettisoning wingbacks plus Townsend and Lennon and going with our AMs like Mason, Dembele, Bentaleb as our second string to bury AVB style for good.

So I liked your suggestion, but if he's going to play , IMO he should be one of the 3 up front.

IMO our players capable of setting up and scoring are more central. Ade, Kane, Chadli, Eriksen etc and packed midfields will get us more goals than crossing to nobody and I don't want Madon being tasked of recycling the balls adnauseum only for wingbacks and wingers to make him look bad.

Fair point, i was more thinking a modric role eg. he plays further up in front of capoue but then can come back if we need him...

Absolutely, that's where he played and excelled in preseason. It would probably be unwise to do so against Woolwich or City in upcoming games considering he is weaker defensively than some of his competitiors for the position. But in Europa or against Newcastle/Southampton (though that's a tough game too) in October I hope we see a lot of him. We've seen a lot of laborious build up play from our midfield so far this season and saw how Mason changed the game today. Obviously a good thirty minute cameo is no proof he can solve that problem but he's earned some chances to see if he can fill that role and make our midfield more fluid.

Capoue with mason, eriksen and lamela in front of him would be the sex (hopefully), not to mention whoever starts at LW (chadli)

Fair point, i was more thinking a modric role eg. he plays further up in front of capoue but then can come back if we need him...

Capoue with mason, eriksen and lamela in front of him would be the sex (hopefully), not to mention whoever starts at LW (chadli)

Yeah he could definitely fit into the Modric role with Capoue or Stambouli falling a little further back like Parker and Sandro wanted to. But Modric was always underrated defensively and could handle himself very well in a tackle. This is not the book on Mason in my understanding and because of that he should be eased in through less difficult fixtures where we'll dominate possession instead of hard fought midfield battles like against City and Woolwich.

IMO Stambouli, Mason, Capoue and Bentaleb offer a significant improvement in regards to ball moving midfielders than we had last season with Dembele, Paulinho and Sandro. It will still take time and growing pains as Mason and Bentaleb are still young and inexperienced, Stambouli is new to the league, and our new system is still being implemented but if we commit to that group in the pivot spot I think we'll see a great increase in the fluidity of our play.

Last edited:
He was so forward thinking and quick with the passing. As I was brushing my teeth this morning I also had that thought that he could be what we wanted Carroll to be.

The list, in alphabetical order, is as follows:
Emmanuel Adebayor
Etienne Capoue
Cristian Ceballos
Nacer Chadli
Vlad Chiriches
Mousa Dembele
Christian Eriksen
Federico Fazio
Brad Friedel
Younes Kaboul
Erik Lamela
Hugo Lloris
Paulinho
Roberto Soldado
Benjamin Stambouli
Jan Vertonghen
Michel Vorm
Aaron Lennon
Ryan Mason
Kyle Naughton
Danny Rose
Andros Townsend
Kyle Walker
In addition to the main squad list is an Under-21 list with an unlimited number of players - included on this list are Eric Dier, Nabil Bentaleb, Harry Kane and Ben Davies.

Back
Top Bottom