So (hypothetically) who replaces Ange then?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who to replace Ange?

• RubenAmorim

• Roberto De Zerbi

• Thiago Motta

• Simone Inzaghi

• Andoni Iraola

• Edin Terzic

• Other

• Marcelo Gallardo

• Graham Potter

• Gary O'Neill

• Sean Dyche

• Thomas Tuchel

• Ryan Mason

• Will Still

• Kieran Mckenna

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes, as it says on his Wikipedia page;

Following McKenna's arrival as Manchester United's under-18s manager, Indy Boonen, who was a teenage player for United at the time, praised McKenna by stating, "He changed everything. The way we trained was how the opponent played on the Saturday. If you played against West Brom, you trained how they are and focused on their weaknesses."

Something that we don't seem to be doing.
He’s got a lot of strings to his bow ; a quick look at the wiki page yields .

He presents seminars in hypnosis , neurolinguistic programming , WEIGHT LOSS , MOTIVATION , the Zen meditation The BIg Mind, Amygdala’ Depotentiation Therapy (ADT ) and the Havening techniques.

That’s weight loss and motivation as two separate areas of expertise.

Throw in a bit of the Zen thing and a touch of “ADT “ ; could be the turning point in Tanguy’s stalled career . (?)

Imagine the Ballon d’OR acceptance speech 2026 ; “ First of I’d like to thank ….. “ you get the picture .

Some of these interventions may be of some benefit to other members of the current squad . Who can say for certain?

PS ( I always suspected that Harry Redknapp may have used a bit of Amygdalic Depotentiation at half - time (now and again ) . Remember that time Pav appeared transformed in the second half ? I can’t recall who we were playing … can anyone help me out ? ) .

Last edited:
Please stop this thread now!!

He ain't going before the end of the season, and at least THREE/FOUR of those names mentioned will be at new clubs over the Summer... So we'll be left with managers who no one else really wants!

Arnie Slot was my personal choice LAST season, and he'll either Pep it or Ten Hag it at Liverpool, nothing in between... so we'll wait and see.

Di Zerbi looks like being found out the same way people are fearing Ange has, so no real improvement there if he came to us... We'll be rumbled by Christmas again!

Thomas Franck is an interesting one (especially as he'd probably bring Toney with him) but the way Brentford played/time wasted at ours, would suggest his style isn't as pleasing on the eye as the world seems to THINK it is!!

Anyway, you've got ME speculating now...

It'll be Ange next season... Everything else is hypothetical speculation, as the thread title suggests!

My personal theory is Kieran McKenna in about 5 years time!

He'll be the British Pep one day!! ...and hopefully he'll do it with us!

Following McKenna's arrival as Manchester United's under-18s manager, Indy Boonen, who was a teenage player for United at the time, praised McKenna by stating, "He changed everything. The way we trained was how the opponent played on the Saturday. If you played against West Brom, you trained how they are and focused on their weaknesses."

You're welcome to disagree but these "tactical" managers are not a good fit for us. These are tournament managers in the modern game. That's Mourinho, Tuchel, etc, imo. Those guys don't last long usually for a reason. Almost no consistently top modern manager manages in this way. Having a philosophy and confidence in your style of play helps players play with confidence and belief which seems to be one of the most important things. These hypercritical personalities tend to alienate players and when it goes bad it goes bad. We've tried the short-term success route and it didn't work. We are not set up as a club to succeed in this way.

You've got to pick your poison to some degree. Do you want to have confidence and belief in your style of play? Or do you want to go to Woolwich, park the bus, and try to nick a goal? Both CAN be successful, but you can't have both. I'd argue that one is more successful over the long term. The same people complaining about us not adjusting to the opposition also complain about us playing ugly football.

Also, you're naive if you don't think Ange can adjust tactically. BUT, especially in the early days, the team and the manager's commitment to philosophy and style is more important in the long term than trying to grind out an individual result. That's what we are going through. You've seen how sht we can look when we DON'T play with that confidence and belief. This doesn't come by accident. We saw it with Pep playing Claudio Bravo at Man City making mistakes all the time, Klopp playing a high line with Lovren, etc.

TBF, I can't see the logic behind doing this at the U-18 level and seems to selfishly fit the manager's career needs much more than the players'. Surely the focus at the U-18 level is developing individual ability first, establishing the responsibilities and habits of a professional footballer second, learning the club's key tactical philosophies third, and actually winning matches fourth. No one gives a fuck about youth trophies, other than youth managers who want to point to them and prove they can win matches and deserve a senior management position.

TBF, I can't see the logic behind doing this at the U-18 level and seems to selfishly fit the manager's career needs much more than the players'. Surely the focus at the U-18 level is developing individual ability first, establishing the responsibilities and habits of a professional footballer second, learning the club's key tactical philosophies third, and actually winning matches fourth. No one gives a fuck about youth trophies, other than youth managers who want to point to them and prove they can win matches and deserve a senior management position.
Is teaching players tactical sophistication, game management and the ability to exploit the weaknesses of their opponent not just as important for their future career as teaching them attacking patterns, technique, developing them phystically etc?

Please stop this thread now!!

He ain't going before the end of the season, and at least THREE/FOUR of those names mentioned will be at new clubs over the Summer... So we'll be left with managers who no one else really wants!

Arnie Slot was my personal choice LAST season, and he'll either Pep it or Ten Hag it at Liverpool, nothing in between... so we'll wait and see.

Di Zerbi looks like being found out the same way people are fearing Ange has, so no real improvement there if he came to us... We'll be rumbled by Christmas again!

Thomas Franck is an interesting one (especially as he'd probably bring Toney with him) but the way Brentford played/time wasted at ours, would suggest his style isn't as pleasing on the eye as the world seems to THINK it is!!

Anyway, you've got ME speculating now...

It'll be Ange next season... Everything else is hypothetical speculation, as the thread title suggests!

My personal theory is Kieran McKenna in about 5 years time!

He'll be the British Pep one day!! ...and hopefully he'll do it with us!
We can / will drive ourselves mad with all this hypothesising ( on top of everything else we need to worry about in this life ) . But it’s becoming a real mind worm .

Consider the following scenario:

It’s not totally unthinkable that The Tractor Boys start disastrously next season. And I mean disasterously .

Then

If the owners ( an investment fund ) panic ( or have some kind of Levy-esque algorithm for generating dosh , not driven by sentimentality or common sense ) .

And

A Dyche , say , following an Everton financial implosion ) or Roberto Martínez ( if Portugal crash and burn at the Euros , say ) is available they pull the trigger on McKenna Thus making hîm available,.

Whilst

Ange has us , say 14th ( possibly due to injuries , , weirdly difficult fixture list , over tinkering etc ) at the second international break .And this comes after a problematic transfer window that has led to fractious relations with DL) . Maybe poor home form/performances , unrest amongst the punters etc

Then

Ange could be handed his P45 and we swoop in for McKenna . And the project can commence in earnest.

I might be overthinking things but I can’t help it . Stranger things have happened in football.

If McKenna is going be « the British Pep “one day ( and that’s obviously a big « if « in five years time « then I fear it won’t be with us . We should get him early and er , stick with hîm ( I know , I know ) .

As I’ve said this is driving me nuts .

Hint ; this all sounds less mad if you imagine Michael Corleone saying it in the manner he explains his plan to assassinate Solazzo and McCluskey to an ( initially incredulous) Sonny and Tom Hagen . (If you’ve seen the film you’ll remember the scene) .

Hope you’re feeling saner than me at the moment.

( Maybe we could cite mental health reasons as a justification to get this thread closed down . Like I said this is doing none of us any good ) .

Go in Peace .

Last edited:
Is teaching players tactical sophistication, game management and the ability to exploit the weaknesses of their opponent not just as important for their future career as teaching them attacking patterns, technique, developing them phystically etc?
I would suggest it's not as important as developing their abilities to play a specific position or positions and the general skill/tactics of that position, how to work and act as a professional footballer, and how the club they're aspiring to play for at the senior level seeks to play. It's important, but not as important, no.

So asking 16-18 kids to train in wildly different tactics week to week to tailor a match plan for a specific opponent seems a disservice to their aspirations. I would certainly not want my son in that environment. Winning games at the youth level is less important that improving.

You're welcome to disagree but these "tactical" managers are not a good fit for us. These are tournament managers in the modern game. That's Mourinho, Tuchel, etc, imo. Those guys don't last long usually for a reason. Almost no consistently top modern manager manages in this way. Having a philosophy and confidence in your style of play helps players play with confidence and belief which seems to be one of the most important things. These hypercritical personalities tend to alienate players and when it goes bad it goes bad. We've tried the short-term success route and it didn't work. We are not set up as a club to succeed in this way.

You've got to pick your poison to some degree. Do you want to have confidence and belief in your style of play? Or do you want to go to Woolwich, park the bus, and try to nick a goal? Both CAN be successful, but you can't have both. I'd argue that one is more successful over the long term. The same people complaining about us not adjusting to the opposition also complain about us playing ugly football.

Also, you're naive if you don't think Ange can adjust tactically. BUT, especially in the early days, the team and the manager's commitment to philosophy and style is more important in the long term than trying to grind out an individual result. That's what we are going through. You've seen how sht we can look when we DON'T play with that confidence and belief. This doesn't come by accident. We saw it with Pep playing Claudio Bravo at Man City making mistakes all the time, Klopp playing a high line with Lovren, etc.
Well he's done well getting Ipswich promoted two years running, so there must be something about adjusting tactics according to the opposition.

I persoanlly don't see any harm in adjusting one's tactics to help overcome opposition, that's what teams have done to Spurs since about October.

Last edited:
No one gives a fuck about youth trophies, other than youth managers who want to point to them and prove they can win matches and deserve a senior management position.
I think that youth players enjoy winning trophies. Also good performances will be noted by the first team coaches.

I think that youth players enjoy winning trophies. Also good performances will be noted by the first team coaches.
Again, not saying it doesn't matter. But it's 4th priority at best, so tailoring your game plan week to week for individual opponents is really missing the point.

Youth squads within a professional football club whose #1 priority is identifying and developing players for the senior squad and #2 priority is developing players of value who can be sold to raise capital for the club to buy/pay senior squad players.

Back
Top Bottom