Southampton (A) 9th March - 1500 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Been thinking on this bastard game all day, I've said it before so many times-Dembele.
We have Dembele in the middle in that game I think we win it, we simply HAVE TO get an adequate replacement for him this summer. How we lost control of that second half is completely down to not controlling possession and calming things down when it got a bit rough.
I'll not bother talking about the shape change and subs again as I guess the coaches know best whats good for our players and their stamina/fatigue etc but fuck me, we should have been completely safe at half time ffs. Terrible finishing of chances, Kane, Dele all of them were guilty first half.

these lads need to take a fucking wise in their cupla weeks off or we are bang in trouble.

Agree with most of that but if we had taken our chances when on top the game would have been out if sight and we wouldn’t be talking about our midfield but yes Dembele is probably irreplaceable and we were lucky to have him

A bets a bet mate, I'll pay up as and when.

Let's be honest in our last 11 Premier League games we've lost against Wolves, Man U at home, Burnley, Chelsea & Southampton. I don't care what anyone says about what's happened recently with the ability in the squad we should be winning at least 4 of those games. We've got 0 points from all of that when the minimum we should be expecting I'd say is 9 points and that's being prudent. We don't seem able to play in a gear higher than we need to get over the line. Is that because of a lack of preseason? Having 9 players playing up until the last weekend of the World Cup? A lack of quality or depth? I ain't sure but I do think Eriksen has been really off colour recently and I think that area of the pitch has really hit our goals scored tally. First half we looked so calm and in control and it made us comfortable and complacent in the 2nd half. We didn't show Southampton respect and we played with too much ease instead of get our shorts dirty. Too many didn't leave it all out there. That's nothing to do with our talent, we've allowed the wheels to come off feeling sorry for ourselves similar to the Leicester season. Heads and emotion has dropped since it was clear we couldn't win the league it's a mental thing attached to licking our wounds.

A bets a bet son, I'll be paying you up in the coming months don't you worry pal (I appreciate the gesture though)
Fancy a double or quits. If we don't get top 4 then I get £20. If we do get top 4 then we are all square! I would say I am 50/50 on whether we get top 4 or not now.
I think its most likely a combination of everything you said. Attitude was wrong in the 2nd half & we could do with being mentally tougher. The lack of squad depth hasn't helped us either. I think the World cup hasn't helped Dele this season & the same with lingard at united. Seems like they never got right after the world cup & the nature of football is there is pressure to get you back as soon as. But overall I think the lack of squad depth is the biggest factor. A few signings would keep thing fresh as it all looks a bit stale now in the team. It would add more competition which would ideally make people raise their game. Some can cruise through games & still be picked because they know there is no one better.
Maybe some lack motivation in the usual top 4 which means a lot to us but not so much to some players.
I am sure the likes of kane & eriksen dont value it as highly as we do.
We are still very much in the top 4 race but obviously the players will need to have the right attitude & effort.
I can see it going down to the wire. The sooner 1 of chelsea or Woolwich drift out of the race, the happier I will be!

Last edited:
Agree with most of that but if we had taken our chances when on top the game would have been out if sight and we wouldn’t be talking about our midfield but yes Dembele is probably irreplaceable and we were lucky to have him
Totally mate, I was gutted we weren't 4-0 up at HT. The arrogance and complacency we were strutting around with missing chance after chance and laughing it off was pathetic-should have been job done.

I think spurs fans underestimated the impact of his departure - probably because he was so intermittent before leaving. Having an older head, being almost impossible to dispossess - qualities that rubbed off on the team and are almost impossible to replace. No coincidence that his departure marked a shift in the general vibe in the team.

I said that on here months ago and got a load of "get over it" drivel in response.
Big time, when he got injured at wolves I was thinking the same thing-wtf are we gonna do without him for the christmas fixtures and he is now gone. Hugely disappointing going into well over half a season with Sissoko and Winks your only fit enough to play midfielders.

Keeps repeating
Something fundamentally wrong
Either Board, Manager or players. Combination.
Beating dortmund home and away is very good result, nothing more to celebrate for, seems club, manager or players don't get it and few fans too.
Unless miracle, won't change
burnley, watford, wolves, southampton, palace fa cup ... Lost 9 PL games out of 30, nearly third of the matches played...Top 4 looks unlikely if carries on like this.... europa league in new stadium...BS

VVD just did what Rose should have done yesterday. Cleared the ball out of the stadium!
Rose is not playing well. Few years ago he was labelled to become the best left back in the world and that is without achieving anything. Stop praising players before winning anything, a good performance here and there counts F all. The same applies to every single player in the club including you know who.

Rose is not playing well. Few years ago he was labelled to become the best left back in the world and that is without achieving anything. Stop praising players before winning anything, a good performance here and there counts F all. The same applies to every single player in the club including you know who.

Without sounding bitter, it looks like Walker left the club at exactly the correct time?

Second PL winners medal? Milk Cup, last 8 CL.

If like half of our fans don’t rate win trophies, the manager also doesn’t why will the players care as well? Imagine telling Harry Kane “trophies are just for ego and arrogance, all that matters is “doing it the right way” and playing in a fancy billion pounds stadium!”
No one wins without ambition.

If like half of our fans don’t rate win trophies, the manager also doesn’t why will the players care as well? Imagine telling Harry Kane “trophies are just for ego and arrogance, all that matters is “doing it the right way” and playing in a fancy billion pounds stadium!”

Of course our players, manager and fans want trophies but we have to be realistic at the moment. Our finances are more important than a trophy win is, purely because of the amount of money those we are competing with have compared to us and our stadium debts. Pochettino has spoken about wanting to touch the glory, wanting to win the Premier League & Champions League with us but he's trying to manage expectations in a way he feels gets the best out of the team for this moment in time.

Guardiola said a man or so ago that Man City are still not ready to win the Champions League. Do you think he meant that or he said that to take pressure off of his players? Just because something's said doesn't mean it's meant. We have always been underdogs to win the title, which means our realistic level is competing in the top 4. Personally I'm not sure if Poch saying we are arrogant to the press is the best way to go but I'll have to trust the manager to know the players and how they'll react to that kind of thing better than I do.

Just because Pochettino says it out loud doesn't mean that's what he actually means beneath the surface or that he is conveying those thoughts to the squad behind closed doors

I wanna know what THE FUCK we did wrong to be ridiculed as 'bottlers' when we were the most entertaining, creative, pressing, battling team in 2015-16 season when Leicester 'won' the league...
Compared to every season since, when we're STILL labelled 'bottlers' every time we lose a game... whether we're in the Title race or not...

Are we guilty of believing our own Press?

Depends if you believe what footballers say or not.

Trophies and recognition > money for most of the top players.

Depends on the trophy and level of recognition.

Hence why players jump at the chance of leaving top clubs in Holland, Scotland etc. to play for better clubs and earn more money. Moussa Dembele left Celtic, where he was proably earning a handsome sum and winning 3 trophies a season to go and join Lyon, where he's never going win the league and probably not even a trophy during his tenure for example.

These Spurs players have mentioned time and time again that they "deserve" a trophy. So they know the importance of them. However, we aren't good enough, evidently.

Depends on the trophy and level of recognition.

Hence why players jump at the chance of leaving top clubs in Holland, Scotland etc. to play for better clubs and earn more money. Moussa Dembele left Celtic, where he was proably earning a handsome sum and winning 3 trophies a season to go and join Lyon, where he's never going win the league and probably not even a trophy during his tenure for example.

These Spurs players have mentioned time and time again that they "deserve" a trophy. So they know the importance of them. However, we aren't good enough, evidently.
This current squad will never win the league or the champions league. It’s clear as day. This team is levels behind the 2016/2017 squad. Some players past their prime and some left like walker and dembele and we didn’t add top quality.

Back
Top Bottom