Spurs look to sell their brand to fans and sponsors

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

VirginiaSpur said:
k1ngs said:
I'm not entirely sure how the club will make money out of a brand...
Merchandising and licensing. I'm going to play devil's advocate here. As a business major, one of the things that strongly attracted me to the club was the financial responsibility of its management. I fucking love it. Now, I think people are taking this a bit harshly, I don't think we're going to see Gareth Bale action figures any time soon (although I really fucking want a Gareth Bale action figure :biggrin: ) This entire article is extremely vague. Filming training? How the fuck do you sell that? I think what this article really means is that the club wants to more aggressively push for TV spots in big markets. You can't really do that directly, as the article mentions that they have little control over the TV rights, but you can get out there with strategic tours of the US, Asia, and Africa (have to say I don't see Africa working as well except as a foot in the door to African talent) and prod the networks into realizing that there are a lot more fans of the club out there than they realize. Hell, I can't catch hardly any games on TV unless A: We're playing Man U, Chelsea, or Ar***al, and B: They don't have anything else to broadcast. Illegal streams are all I've got. Most of these are shitty quality where it's hard to tell who has the damn ball except for where they are on the pitch. If Spurs can get aggressive in pushing their "brand" so that I can watch a damn game on TV once in a while, I'm all for it.

The rest of the article is on NDP which I think we can all agree on.

Completely agree.

Branding is only really to serve merchandise along with whatever messages the club is selling us the fans. American sports have been trying to solidify branding for quite some time now. Having worked for a pro club and letting our fans keep our image/brand conscious in their mind, regardless of on field quality is one of the most important issues clubs face. But at the end of the day, you can always look past the branding nonsense and realize Spurs are ours, nobody can take that from us.

Babs said:
Dru's gotta point, I think you talk bollox Flav, big sweaty hairy ones in fact x

LESS money is the key, not selling tradition down the river to feed a beast that is always hungry and never satisfied.

I would rather be poor as fuck but stick to our ideals than sell our soul down the river for the sake of a few extra pennies

Contrary to what Sky tells us, there is more to football than winning, points and money.

cantsmilespurs said:
Contrary to what Sky tells us, there is more to football than winning, points and money.

Well said. I think it's safe to say that whenever Arse, Chelsea, Man U or Citeh lose a game, they lose a fan. When Spurs lose, the fans keep on cheering for the team. Most fans of the "Big" clubs will never how that feels.

I wasn't able to watch that particular game, but I loved reading about how in the second Champion's League against R. Madrid at WHL, when spurs were down, what, 5-1, the fans were cheering that spurs would win 6-5!

How many fans of the "big" clubs have that kind of love or support for their teams, seriously? All they know and love is winning. :winner: :redcard:

Flav said:
Babs said:
Dru's gotta point, I think you talk bollox Flav, big sweaty hairy ones in fact x

LESS money is the key, not selling tradition down the river to feed a beast that is always hungry and never satisfied.

if it was up to you THFC would still be playing in a park with 20 people watching. It's vital we squeeze every penny we can out of our business model if we want to compete, be that branding , merchandise or whatever. Otherwise we might as well give up and go home.

Football is competitive, by it's very nature THFC must strive to be as good a football team as it possibly can be.

Change must be embraced not feared, otherwise you become the catholic church.

poof.

file.php

"Can't see shit Captain"

VirginiaSpur said:
I think the hate comes from some of the implications the article makes. Specifically, the article speaks about subtly altering the "brand" through fonts, colors, and controlling the language surrounding the club. I don't know about you, but that last part tells me they'll start trying to stop people from saying yid. If their focus is on growing the brand in large markets, most people in the US aren't going to react favorably to fans identifying themselves as part of the "Yid Army." There's just a huge paranoia associated with racial issues here in the US, electing a black man president hasn't exactly changed that much.

I don't think this is about sticking up for the traditions of football, it's about not abandoning the club's history for mass-market appeal. Yes, the club needs cash flow, but they don't have to abandon their identity in the process...
Sure, but bear in mind that a lot of the stuff we fans have complained about in the past is brand-related.
E.g. red on the shirt. To the marketers who get the sponsorship in, it's not a big deal, but to us... part of the Spurs identity is "not red".
Another part is "is white and navy", which yellow doesn't fit with, so getting shot of it is a step in the right direction.

If club suits in the past had thought more about "does this decision follow the values of Tottenham Hotspur?" we might have been spared brilliant ideas like George Graham.
The main thing is that - as they appear to be doing - you look at the club and identify what the the existing, tradition values are, and get rid of the stuff that doesn't match that, as opposed to picking some goals at random and changing everything to fit your new amazing ideas.

Can I clear up what traditions people think we are 'selling out' here?

Flav, dont get me wrong, I hate the way football is going, the way players are paid so much money they think they can just refuse to go on a sub becuase they think they are bigger than the club paying them. I hate the way sky anally rim clubs like Liverpool Woolwich Chelsea and Man U....

But the fact of the matter is that IS the way football is heading and if we dont take steps to keep up with the so called 'sky 4' we will be left behind.

I suppose it depends on what you want from following your club - we have had years of going nowhere sittting in midtable - now we have had a taste of success we will have to go down this road to taste it again. Its part of being successful - every successful club in the world are the same.

Have to read a few of the latest posts, but read about Spurs starting a Coop deal with this Ecuadorian team, and it struck me that I think these deals are relevant to this thread. Spurs are aggressively picking up partnerships with such teams, and it's obviously a crack at new markets, growing the fanbase, and opening up new pipelines for player development.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11675_7211394,00.html

coalhada said:
VirginiaSpur said:
I think the hate comes from some of the implications the article makes. Specifically, the article speaks about subtly altering the "brand" through fonts, colors, and controlling the language surrounding the club. I don't know about you, but that last part tells me they'll start trying to stop people from saying yid. If their focus is on growing the brand in large markets, most people in the US aren't going to react favorably to fans identifying themselves as part of the "Yid Army." There's just a huge paranoia associated with racial issues here in the US, electing a black man president hasn't exactly changed that much.

I don't think this is about sticking up for the traditions of football, it's about not abandoning the club's history for mass-market appeal. Yes, the club needs cash flow, but they don't have to abandon their identity in the process...
Sure, but bear in mind that a lot of the stuff we fans have complained about in the past is brand-related.
E.g. red on the shirt. To the marketers who get the sponsorship in, it's not a big deal, but to us... part of the Spurs identity is "not red".
Another part is "is white and navy", which yellow doesn't fit with, so getting shot of it is a step in the right direction.

If club suits in the past had thought more about "does this decision follow the values of Tottenham Hotspur?" we might have been spared brilliant ideas like George Graham.
The main thing is that - as they appear to be doing - you look at the club and identify what the the existing, tradition values are, and get rid of the stuff that doesn't match that, as opposed to picking some goals at random and changing everything to fit your new amazing ideas.
I agree with this completely, I think it fits very well with what I was saying.

Back
Top Bottom