Stephen Carr

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

International career
Senior career*
Youth career
Personal information
Full nameStephen Carr[1]
Date of birth29 August 1976 (age 46)
Place of birthDublin, Ireland
Height1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)[1]
Position(s)Right back
198x–1991Stella Maris
1991–1993Tottenham Hotspur
YearsTeamApps(Gls)
1993–2004Tottenham Hotspur226(7)
2004–2008Newcastle United78(1)
2009–2013Birmingham City106(0)
Total410(8)
1993–1994Republic of Ireland U186(0)
1994–1997Republic of Ireland U2112(1)
1999–2007Republic of Ireland44(0)

I spent 17 years in Premier League but quit football to open bars in Spain.. Katie Price and Eva Longoria are punters​

THIS former Prem star has largely left the game behind since retiring in 2013.
In his pomp, he was named in the PFA Team of the Year while playing at right-back for Tottenham Hotspur.
Stephen Carr has enjoyed an interesting career post-retirement

Stephen Carr has enjoyed an interesting career post-retirementCredit: i-Marbella

But after a serious injury ended his pro career, he opted to move in a different direction.
And Stephen Carr has never looked back.
Having left Spurs for Newcastle in 2004, the Irishman spent the final years of his pro career at Birmingham City.
Blues tried to keep him on as a coach, but Carr had already developed business interests elsewhere.

"Coaching is very difficult. It’s difficult with kids now – it’s a completely different set-up to what it was,” he told Spurs' media team.

"You’ve got academies. And how many jobs are available? How many ex-players are qualifying as coaches every year? There are not that many jobs.

"I’ve gone from being a footballer, being lucky enough to be going in at 8:30am and be home by 1:30pm. As a coach, you’re in early and home late so you need to have a real desire and hunger. For me, I don’t have any desire for that - you either love it or you don’t.

"If you don’t love it enough, you should never get into it. So, coaching never entered my mind. Instead, I moved to Spain straight away because I’m involved in restaurants and a beach club over there.

"I thought I’d go there, it’d be a different experience. I had the freedom that I could do that."

On how his life quickly differed from his playing days, he added: "The hospitality industry is obviously different to football in that you’re not going in with a group of lads to train, you’re training on your own, but I never thought of it like that.

"I saw it as 'your time’s up, you need to go, move on to whatever next you’re going to do in your life'."

During an interview in 2013, Carr explained to the Sunday Sun how business in Marbella was booming - having welcomed some celeb guests.

He revealed: "You know the formula is working when clients are waiting up to four weeks for a reservation and we are being visited by the likes of Sir Alan Sugar, Eva Longoria, Katie Price and Jamie Oliver."

A lot has happened in the last decade, however, not least in the last few years - with the hospitality industry having been rocked by the coronavirus pandemic.

Chatting to Spurs in 2021 about the journey he has been on since those early days of retirement, Carr revealed: "I was working in staffing, in the HR department of the business for a few years.

"Then I took a bit of a step out of it, I tried to do a bit with a football agency and at the moment, I’m setting up an online clothing brand which will be made to measure called One of One – it’s going to have a fingerprint as a logo and it’ll mainly be lounge wear.

"Hopefully we will start that up this year. So, I’m actually busy with a few different things at the moment.

“Obviously, the restaurant business is good but we’re going through a stage where that industry especially has been hit very hard. You are just hoping things will change a bit – it needs to change everywhere.

"These are difficult times at the moment in most industries. You have to adjust to it, and I think most people's attitude towards it is you just fight to next year.

"You fight and hopefully by the spring/summer, things pick up. Fingers crossed but, who knows?"

Last edited:
First thought on seeing this thread was "oh shit, he's dead?", then on closer inspection I thought to myself "well I'm sure this will be an interesting read at least then...".

Wrong on both counts.

First thought on seeing this thread was "oh shit, he's dead?", then on closer inspection I thought to myself "well I'm sure this will be an interesting read at least then...".

Wrong on both counts.
I just felt he deserved his own ex-player thread :cool:
At least you were wrong about him being dead, so it's good to be wrong in one's assumptions at times.

One of my favourite ever Spurs players.

I was fortunate to have been behind the Paxton Road goal, looking through the back of the net, as Carr struck that thunderbolt against United into the top corner. I knew it was in the second he hit it.

Such a pity that he was loyal for so long but then left just as Spurs finally began to improve. I always felt sorry for him because the club he chose, Newcastle United, began their journey back into obscurity at the exact moment he left.

Was very happy for him the day he lifted the League Cup for Birmingham.

Stephen Carr my lord.

THFC's best Premier League right back and possibly the best ever.

Last edited:

I spent 17 years in Premier League but quit football to open bars in Spain.. Katie Price and Eva Longoria are punters​

THIS former Prem star has largely left the game behind since retiring in 2013.
In his pomp, he was named in the PFA Team of the Year while playing at right-back for Tottenham Hotspur.
Stephen Carr has enjoyed an interesting career post-retirement

Stephen Carr has enjoyed an interesting career post-retirementCredit: i-Marbella

But after a serious injury ended his pro career, he opted to move in a different direction.
And Stephen Carr has never looked back.
Having left Spurs for Newcastle in 2004, the Irishman spent the final years of his pro career at Birmingham City.
Blues tried to keep him on as a coach, but Carr had already developed business interests elsewhere.

"Coaching is very difficult. It’s difficult with kids now – it’s a completely different set-up to what it was,” he told Spurs' media team.

"You’ve got academies. And how many jobs are available? How many ex-players are qualifying as coaches every year? There are not that many jobs.

"I’ve gone from being a footballer, being lucky enough to be going in at 8:30am and be home by 1:30pm. As a coach, you’re in early and home late so you need to have a real desire and hunger. For me, I don’t have any desire for that - you either love it or you don’t.

"If you don’t love it enough, you should never get into it. So, coaching never entered my mind. Instead, I moved to Spain straight away because I’m involved in restaurants and a beach club over there.

"I thought I’d go there, it’d be a different experience. I had the freedom that I could do that."

On how his life quickly differed from his playing days, he added: "The hospitality industry is obviously different to football in that you’re not going in with a group of lads to train, you’re training on your own, but I never thought of it like that.

"I saw it as 'your time’s up, you need to go, move on to whatever next you’re going to do in your life'."

During an interview in 2013, Carr explained to the Sunday Sun how business in Marbella was booming - having welcomed some celeb guests.

He revealed: "You know the formula is working when clients are waiting up to four weeks for a reservation and we are being visited by the likes of Sir Alan Sugar, Eva Longoria, Katie Price and Jamie Oliver."

A lot has happened in the last decade, however, not least in the last few years - with the hospitality industry having been rocked by the coronavirus pandemic.

Chatting to Spurs in 2021 about the journey he has been on since those early days of retirement, Carr revealed: "I was working in staffing, in the HR department of the business for a few years.

"Then I took a bit of a step out of it, I tried to do a bit with a football agency and at the moment, I’m setting up an online clothing brand which will be made to measure called One of One – it’s going to have a fingerprint as a logo and it’ll mainly be lounge wear.

"Hopefully we will start that up this year. So, I’m actually busy with a few different things at the moment.

“Obviously, the restaurant business is good but we’re going through a stage where that industry especially has been hit very hard. You are just hoping things will change a bit – it needs to change everywhere.

"These are difficult times at the moment in most industries. You have to adjust to it, and I think most people's attitude towards it is you just fight to next year.

"You fight and hopefully by the spring/summer, things pick up. Fingers crossed but, who knows?"
Danny boy is missing a trick here

How about Tottenham Hotspur branded restaurants/bars all around Europe and maybe even the world ?

300 quid for a burger and chips , luvvly Jubbly

I hope that's on the roadmap for the portfolio expansion

Good luck to him. A lot of footballers, for all the money they've made, still find it hard to adjust to life once their playing careers are over.

I just felt he deserved his own ex-player thread
He was a successful homegrown talent and that should count for something. Like Judas, he was a beneficiary of the 96/97 injury crisis and used that time to establish himself in the first team. The development of these two players was the only positive thing to come out of that miserable season.

I'm glad he's found his niche outside football.

He was great in 2002-3 when we were looking pretty good under Hoddle. He decided he wanted to jump ship for Newcastle (like how Parker didn't want to come to us and go toon). He was wrong.
In 2004-05 things started to change for us, he could have been a part of the Jol side.

Back
Top Bottom