Sterling.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Elite players raise the level of their team, put him in a lower calibre team and his output would drop to their level not vice versa.

In your opinion...

In mine he's elite, otherwise he wouldn't have played for City under Guardiola for as long as he has.

Absolute nonsense. If it's that easy to score for City why didn't the like of Sane or currently Mahrez have his stats? Sterling scores a lot of tap in's and rebounds because he has elite movement. His record for England over the last couple of years is better than Kane's in regards to goals per game.
He's got s good instinct for getting on the end of the good build up play of others, so ok maybe he has elite instinct.

Put him in a team that can't lay it on a plate for him and he'd be useless.

He hasn't been close to the best player for England this tournament or the biggest concern for Italy, but he hasn't been complete crap and scored more of his tap-ins than he has flubbed which is an improvement for him.

I'd like to know what games you've been watching. Sterling has been England's best player by far, considering he's made an impact in every game but one, and one of the top few players in the tournament period.

He's got s good instinct for getting on the end of the good build up play of others, so ok maybe he has elite instinct.

Put him in a team that can't lay it on a plate for him and he'd be useless.

There's absolutely no evidence of that. Plus if you put De Bruyne in a poorer team his stats obviously wouldn't be as good. Doesn't that apply to just about anyone?

I'd like to know what games you've been watching. Sterling has been England's best player by far, considering he's made an impact in every game but one, and one of the top few in the tournament period.

I have been watching the England games.

He hasn't been any batter than Kane or Grealish up front for sure.

I think Maguire, Stones, Shaw, Phillips and Rice have been no doubt better than him as well.

No chance he has been the best player for England. There is no rational argument that he has been better than the players mentioned above.

I think Maguire, Stones, Shaw, Phillips and Rice have been no doubt better than him as well.

No chance he has been the best player for England. There is no rational argument that he has been better than the players mentioned above.

There is for anyone that has eyes. Without Sterling, England wouldn't be in the final.

There's absolutely no evidence of that. Plus if you put De Bruyne in a poorer team his stats obviously wouldn't be as good. Doesn't that apply to just about anyone?
Most, if not all players' output would drop in a weaker side, De Bruyne and other elite players would still improve said weaker team though, and still impact the game.

Sterling wouldn't, the proof of that, as far as it can be proven, is that his sole output is tapping it in from 4 yards, he can barely kick the ball 12 yards, just like Lennon.

Doesn't take much thinking to deduce that such a player would be rendered useless in a team that wasn't creating sitters for him all the time.

I both think this is ridiculous and also think it's somewhat fair play to give the guys who have made this team so difficult to create chances against a lot of the credit. Even Pickford has been really good.

Southgate deserves a world of credit for making Phillips an ever-present alongside Rice. That took guts and has been pitch-perfect. I totally underappreciated Phillips before the tournament, what a player.

As an attacking force though, England have been built on Sterling's pace and aggression. That's what makes the rest of it go.

I have grown to Sterling in This tournament , Has scored some important goals, and saying he only scores tap ins makes Us sound like salty fans who say Kane only scores tap in, any way on his best day I still wouldn’t have him over Son.

I am not a fan of sterling, mainly based on his previous England form , but no doubt he has stepped up massively in this tournament so fair play. He is still frustrating at times, gives the ball away cheaply at times, lucky for us muller missed a sitter! And his final ball lets him down, for me he's nowhere near an elite player but he's contributed a lot to England getting to the final.

He hasn't been close to the best player for England this tournament or the biggest concern for Italy, but he hasn't been complete crap and scored more of his tap-ins than he has flubbed which is an improvement for him.
You’re talking drivel mate. “Hasn’t been complete crap?”

15 goals in his last 22 games for England.
Scored the winner against Croatia, first goal against Germany. Winner against Czech Republic. Best player on the pitch against Denmark.

It’s not an opinion that he’s had a great tournament its just a fact.

Back
Top Bottom