Steve Archibald!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was at that game. That Archibald and Crooks partnership was fucking immense, think it was that season they both scored over 20 goals. It wasn’t like the normal Big guy, little guy pairing either, it was a a real dynamic double act. Both clever, Archibald slightly more refined, Crooks more explosive. But they had this telepathic awareness of each other.

I always remember the free kick routine where Hoddle would zip it along the deck, Crooks would step over, dummying it for Archibald, and run in behind, Archibald would then flick it through to him.

I read in one of the books about Alex Ferguson that he and Archibald clashed regularly during their time at Aberdeen.
Best story had to be Archibald insisting on keeping the match ball after he scored a hat trick in a home game and being told to hand it back.
He managed to keep hold of it until the Monday morning when he opened Fergies office door, booted the ball in and shouted there’s your fucking ball back or words to that effect
😆
True or not it’s worth a giggle

The coolest player ever in a Spurs shirt, imo. Also loved the way he was screaming at Villa from the other side of the box for not passing when Villa decided to go around all of Manchester City. One of my favourite players of all time.

10952-zoom.jpg

Had a horrible feeling I was going to be reading an obituary!!!! Wish people would put 'Not Dead' in the heading when they starthread about old players.
Archie was a legend, alongside with Crooksie, a very effective partnership if one of them didn't score the other one did.
Got the impression he wasn't particularly sociable, but took his job on the pitch seriously. Was a shame that he fell out with Burkinshaw but it didn't seem to affect the way he played.
He loved the supporters though and he was very popular with us too - think scoring twice against Woolwich helped :)
He bought a pub down Roman Road (Bethnal Green) for his dad to run, and we went there one night for my birthday. When his dad found out I was Spurs, he rang him up and we had a lovely chat. Think it was a couple of weeks after that he signed for Barca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah well.
Would love to see him back at the Lane

When was that? I lived pretty close, in south Hackney (1980-90).

Paul Miller's uncle had a little pub in Goldsmiths Row off Hackney Road.

We went there after the 82 replay, wonderful lock-in. They put on an amazing spread, the best seafood I ever had in London. I think Maxi stopped by around 3 or 4 am, might have been his brother though. Whatever, the pub went wild.

My memory of the night was a bit hazy then. I'm afraid I was very, very drunk

hqdefault.jpg
The opening night was November 1983, it was the Bishop Bonner, off Roman Road, and I think Archie bought it for his dad (his dad definitely ran it, as I went there for one of my birthdays).
Most of the team were there , but they went to a private room upstairs, so didn't mix with the punters. Don't think you had to have an invitation, one of the guys I used to go to the games with heard about it and we just went along. I remember Chas 'n Dave obviously, and the girls behind the bar wearing various international kits.
Back then, the players weren't as remote as the current crop, that's for sure; buying a pub was quite a common 'next career' for footballers.

Last edited:

Article here last night in Guardian. Some good anecdotes, a lot about Barcelona. Mentions Chas & Dave climbing through the window in his pub on Roman Road, how he beat Hoddle by a few minutes to being the first to appear twice on TOTP. A lot about his mindset, how he knew he belonged, having played for Spurs in Europe etc. Carries on into his successful business career, currently dealing with an aggressive takeover.
Also, some good stuff in comments section below, a lot from Scotland days, even a gooner mentions how good he was in the 2 nil described earlier in this thread.
This bit interested me the most. Is he being economical with the truth? I'd always picked up that he'd fell out with Burkinshaw and it was a certainty that he'd leave...

Barcelona’s board wanted Hugo Sánchez, sitting upstairs in the same hotel the day Archibald signed, but Terry Venables got his way. “Terry called. He told me Maradona was going, [the manager, César Luis] Menotti too. It hadn’t worked out. ‘I want you.’ I never wanted to go to Barcelona: I wanted to stay at Spurs, but [former Tottenham chairman] Irving Scholar wanted the money. I never regretted it, though: a wonderful experience, better than I could have imagined.”
Thank you Mick , wonderful article. I was heartbroken when we sold Archie. 🎵We’ll take more care of you.....🎵 Fantastic days and so many amazing memories.

Noticed on home page had tweeted congrats regards last night, which I thought wasn't the norm as you don't hear a lot about him, but wondered, was he well thought off at us? I was just getting into Tottenham at the time he was playing and was a bit young to pick out individuals let alone know if they were good players!
Always struck me as someone who was grounded and kept himself to himself. Really good player and had a great partnership with Crooks. The fact he left us for Barcelona shows what a good player he was as they have always appreciated quality.

Before Crooks and Archibald turned up our strike force had not been the best. Then these two come along and click and hey presto there's someone putting away all the chances created by Hoddle, Ardiles and Galvin.
Archibald was a strong character by all accounts and he fell out with Burko which was a great shame.
He was a top striker make no mistake and the partnership with Crooks made both better.

he was class, really good guy. Excellent player, worked hard and was very skillful. Prolific at aberdeen adn with us. had a mixed time at barcelona, replacing maradona!.
Returned to Scotland to be a legend at Hibs.
Love this from Fergie about the man:
S30LzFu.png

Back
Top Bottom