Steve Hitchen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

HITCHENS IN OR OUT?

• Total voters
Very telling on the Amazon Prime series when it comes to January and he says he 'hates it'.
Mate, it's your job.
I clean toilets and wash clothes for a living - it's not the best, but it's what pays the bills. And I always have a smile on my face doing it.
This guys basically playing Football Manager in real life, but he 'hates it'.
Absolutely 0 rhyme nor reason to our signing policy for years now, masked by over-achievement on the pitch.
Cannot fathom that Hojbjerg and Doherty were the best available to Spurs in their respective positions.
They don't even come across as the type of player we need in those positions.
Reading on Twitter earlier that we are considering Sorloth from Palace for striker back-up.
The guy is a glorified fridge-freezer, in fact, I think mine may in fact be more mobile.
If he doesn't like his job, get him the fuck out.
Let's remember though, it's Levy who holds the power when it comes to approving or vetoing these moves.
If he wasn't as tight as two coats of paint, we could maybe aim a bit higher when it comes to recruitment.
I called yesterdays result before we even kicked off, not because I think I'm some kind of fortune-teller, but because it's plainly evident to anyone with half a footballing brain that Spurs are being mismanaged from boardroom level down.
The signings, this year especially, totally reek of lack of ambition.
You reap what you sow.
Based on yesterday, top half would be a good finish.
Can't say I'm wholeheartedly in the Levy Out brigade as prudence is something required to successfully run a business - but as questioned in a post yesterday, are Spurs merely a business these days? Or a football club chasing success? On current evidence, my heart leans to the first option, sadly.
But short answer, if the guy can't be arsed, which it genuinely looks like, get him emptied ASAP.
Unfortunately, I think things will have to get far worse before anyone at Spurs wakes up.

I would say that list but is based on parameters by the people above him? Again I am not being shitty but you don't need a scout to identify a player who is bound to be known to the manager.
Well yeah, based on the budget set by Levy and the type of player requested by Mourinho. He's head scout remember, his role should go beyond just establishing if a player is any good, he should be doing his homework on availability, cost, wages, attitude etc to decide if he's a good fit for us.

None of that should be of any concern to Levy or Mourinho as they should be confident that Hitchen has done his job.

I don't get the warm fuzzy feeling that this is the case, based mainly on our recent recruitment and a very small amount of camera time in the doc.

It's obviously silly to infer too much from the mere seconds we saw of him in the doc, he does not control our budget.

Since he arrived we have tried to buy Jack Grealish and Bruno Fernandes. Two players that would have transformed our team. Is it his fault that Levy wouldn't pay the asking price? Our problem is not identifying talent that would improve the team. Our problem is spending the money to bring it here.

Some of the opinions being made on this bloke from virtually no knowledge are ridiculous

Mourinho wouldn't work with someone who doesn't know his stuff

Whilst I agree; "crap scouting" has been a narrative for time now and I guess peeps have been keen to finally put a voice to a name to a face.... His exterior and lack of concern with projecting a positive spirit has done him no favours tho' and made himself one of the few lasting memes from the whole series.

Very telling on the Amazon Prime series when it comes to January and he says he 'hates it'.
Mate, it's your job.
I clean toilets and wash clothes for a living - it's not the best, but it's what pays the bills. And I always have a smile on my face doing it.
This guys basically playing Football Manager in real life, but he 'hates it'.
Absolutely 0 rhyme nor reason to our signing policy for years now, masked by over-achievement on the pitch.
Cannot fathom that Hojbjerg and Doherty were the best available to Spurs in their respective positions.
They don't even come across as the type of player we need in those positions.
Reading on Twitter earlier that we are considering Sorloth from Palace for striker back-up.
The guy is a glorified fridge-freezer, in fact, I think mine may in fact be more mobile.
If he doesn't like his job, get him the fuck out.
Let's remember though, it's Levy who holds the power when it comes to approving or vetoing these moves.
If he wasn't as tight as two coats of paint, we could maybe aim a bit higher when it comes to recruitment.
I called yesterdays result before we even kicked off, not because I think I'm some kind of fortune-teller, but because it's plainly evident to anyone with half a footballing brain that Spurs are being mismanaged from boardroom level down.
The signings, this year especially, totally reek of lack of ambition.
You reap what you sow.
Based on yesterday, top half would be a good finish.
Can't say I'm wholeheartedly in the Levy Out brigade as prudence is something required to successfully run a business - but as questioned in a post yesterday, are Spurs merely a business these days? Or a football club chasing success? On current evidence, my heart leans to the first option, sadly.
But short answer, if the guy can't be arsed, which it genuinely looks like, get him emptied ASAP.
Unfortunately, I think things will have to get far worse before anyone at Spurs wakes up.

The problem is that he can only work within the budget he is given.

When it was bigger we got Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sess - three very highly-rated young players at the time.

When it was small we got - Hart, Hojberg and Doherty - three premier league proven players with "strong personalities" and hopefully a couple more to come.

I don't think that Hojberg and Doherty are bad signings. They are definitely good deals from a financial perspective and they are better than what we had in their respective positions.
Hojberg > Sissoko and Doherty > Aurier.

Are they the best options we could have got it those positions?
In the case of Doherty I'd say probably yes - can anyone name a better realistic right back option even with more money available?
For Hojberg, I'm sure we could have got someone better for £30m+ but we didn't have that luxury.

The squad needed 4/5 additions and the kitty is not huge.

We could have spent £30m on a DM and £30m on a striker but then we would still need a right back and a centre back/left back/CAM. And as we have seen countless times for us and for other teams - a large price tag is no guarantee of success.

As bad as Hitchen comes across in the doc, he is not the guy controlling the purse strings.

Some of the opinions being made on this bloke from virtually no knowledge are ridiculous

I doubt he had any significant conversations about Hitchens before he joined the club. Why would he? Even if he saw he was a prick what can he do about it ? Probably in the longer term use his own contacts to try to get people, and ignore Hitchins? that’s about it.

U.K. employment rules relate to football as much as they do elsewhere. No one gets a job by insisting an existing employee is sacked off or marginalised.

I doubt he had any significant conversations about Hitchens before he joined the club. Why would he? Even if he saw he was a prick what can he do about it ? Probably in the longer term use his own contacts to try to get people, and ignore Hitchins? that’s about it.

I'm sure in 10 months they'd have had plenty of time to clash (particularly in January)....

U.K. employment rules relate to football as much as they do elsewhere. No one gets a job by insisting an existing employee is sacked off or marginalised.

.....But like other businesses, so-called "mutual agreements" are reached all the time.

I'm sure in 10 months they'd have had plenty of time to clash (particularly in January)....

.....But like other businesses, so-called "mutual agreements" are reached all the time.
But in this case why would he have thought that getting rid of him was a reason to come or not ?

all mute points. They both work there.

Hitchens has just got a more important role at the club, if Mourinho didn't get on with him he'd want to bring in his own head scout.

But in this case why would he have thought that getting rid of him was a reason to come or not ?

all mute points. They both work there.

I don't understand what you're getting at..... The only person who is operating in the context of Jose refusing to work with him before he signed his deal is you.

Like I said, they could have clashed at any time since and whos the cheaper to pay off? Jose and his 45m 3 year deal or everybody's favourite cabbage patch doll?

It's the way he drinks his coffee. The way he holds his mug, never trust a football scout that raises his pinky when holding his coffee mug, it's a no from me, I simply staggered that there hasn't been an outcry about it before today.

It's the way he drinks his coffee. The way he holds his mug, never trust a football scout that raises his pinky when holding his coffee mug, it's a no from me, I simply staggered that there hasn't been an outcry about it before today.

IMO he's too gammon looking.... If he only wore a cravat and quoted obscure European philosophy I'd be far more convinced.

Perhaps a "strong interest in Greek culture" like Slabhead MacGuire would help endure.....

Back
Top Bottom