Steve Hitchen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

HITCHENS IN OR OUT?

• Total voters
So "Viva Levy" is your theory then? :sonhmm:

.........Please don't shy away from my question. It'll be good to know where you stand.

(Look; the guy lasted 4 years.... I didn't say he was flawless; I said it "worked well"..... It did. Ramos was a shambles and DC paid the price. That's business.)

.......Honestly, some of this is beyond a joke! Levy's a cunt, Lewis is worse.... All the DOFs and scouts have been shite.... So have all the managers apart from 3.

SPOILER: Poch wasn't literally magic y'know! Jol & Redknapp didn't single-handedly lift us out of the dull-drums of bottom half fnishes! All these players we've revered over the last 20 years; there contracts didn't magically land on Levy's desk...... It's ok to credit people once in a while.
Levy?

Never liked or trusted him.

My theory with Commoli is that he signed players like Berbatov and Modric because the other bigger clubs had been sniffing around but hadn’t been prepared to gamble on them.

Hitchen was never the problem at Spurs, you're focusing on the wrong person, I keep telling you lot..

Those first five of six hardly needed scouting did they? All things equal, most everyone saw they appeared tier 1 or 2 signings. Poch dissed Tielemans it was reported, but he would have blown out probably under his regime (think it's rumoured he's a slack trainer, or was).

The lack of youth recruitment and loan structure alone puts someone up for the chop, imagine if we had youth comparable to Chelsea coming through, 50% of Conte's job done, plus soo much easier for recruitment if we were soo up against the fence on HG status...

Still 80% on Levy, as Grealish and Tielemans should have been triggered and given the squad, due to their price and potential to flourish at that point (and our squad needs).

Given our performance, even if mostly on Levy and Poch, means someone had to leave, Hitchen might not have been the core of the issue, but he was clearly not dynamic enough in the company of huge ego's to press his ideas (if the failures were indeed, mostly not his), so either way, good decision.

I hope Paratici is actually sorting our scouting department.

We all acknowledge that Spurs will never compete financially with the likes of City, Chelsea, United, and Liverpool so why aren't we absolutely piling money into having the best scouting, analytics, and sports science teams in the land? It'd save the club money in the end. I don't even think it's ENIC being cheap, just incompetent.

It makes absolutely no sense, we run ourselves exactly like the really rich clubs do except we just have less money so are shittier at it. Invest in a different asymmetric strategy if your owner isn't willing to stick money in. I'll never understand how this club is run.

As for Hitchen, he's probably not as shit as we all think, I'm sure Levy has ballsed up some of his deals. But he clearly isn't good either so it's really no loss.

Levy?

Never liked or trusted him.

My theory with Commoli is that he signed players like Berbatov and Modric because the other bigger clubs had been sniffing around but hadn’t been prepared to gamble on them.

Still not answering the question......

Who do you credit for the growth and player purchases which got us into the CL for the first time?

A snap-shot of the Commoli-era: Luka Modrić, Benoît Assou-Ekotto, Heurelho Gomes, Vedran Ćorluka, Roman Pavlyuchenko, Dimitar Berbatov, Gareth Bale.... (There may be others)

- Levy?
- Commoli?
- Both?
- Father Christmas?

Last edited:
I know there's always an argument for both sides of whether Hitchin was useless or hamstrung by Levy. But my initial reaction to this news was
Happy Lisa Kudrow GIF by The Comeback HBO

So a club who have been shitter in the transfer market than us have looked at Hitchen and thought he’s the man to sort them out so they’ve tapped him up and he’s taken over the DoF there. They’ve looked at his work here and thought it a good appointment. I think that tells us all we need to know both about Everton and Hitchen. Just rubbish.

Our business with the French league is absolutely damning for him, considering that was supposed to be his main area of expertise.

Hitchen was never the problem at Spurs, you're focusing on the wrong person, I keep telling you lot..

LOL fuck Frank. He is the least knowledgeable person I have ever seen talk about Spurs who is fan. Anytime he’s on Last Word I don’t watch because he’s a negative cunt.

I hope Paratici is actually sorting our scouting department.

We all acknowledge that Spurs will never compete financially with the likes of City, Chelsea, United, and Liverpool so why aren't we absolutely piling money into having the best scouting, analytics, and sports science teams in the land? It'd save the club money in the end. I don't even think it's ENIC being cheap, just incompetent.

It makes absolutely no sense, we run ourselves exactly like the really rich clubs do except we just have less money so are shittier at it. Invest in a different asymmetric strategy if your owner isn't willing to stick money in. I'll never understand how this club is run.

As for Hitchen, he's probably not as shit as we all think, I'm sure Levy has ballsed up some of his deals. But he clearly isn't good either so it's really no loss.
Yep, I've said this for a little while now. Invest in 5-10 scouts with a hugely impressive CV of finding excellent players before they get noticed by the big european clubs. Give these scouts the big bucks to attract them to the club. Whatever they're being paid we'll pay them 50% more. But I think an important characteristic that they need to have, is I think they need to of played championship manager/football manager for at least 15 years.

Yep, I've said this for a little while now. Invest in 5-10 scouts with a hugely impressive CV of finding excellent players before they get noticed by the big european clubs. Give these scouts the big bucks to attract them to the club. Whatever they're being paid we'll pay them 50% more. But I think an important characteristic that they need to have, is I think they need to of played championship manager/football manager for at least 15 years.

It's all being revamped as we speak.

- 2 separate departments: 1) youngsters and domestic lower leagues / 2) International & EPL
- Increased scouting budget
- Sure I read somewhere we've already poached some scout from the Chavs.

Last edited:
It's all being revamped as we speak.

- 2 separate departments: 1) youngsters and domestic leagues / 2) International & EPL
- Increased scouting budgetjax
- Sure I read somewhere we've already poached some scout from the Chavs.
I say if you really want to focus on bringing up youth through the system and finding rough diamonds and its clear you don't want to invest and buy big players like the big clubs, go invest 30-50m into redeveloping the scout system, etc over a 5 year period. Make bloody well sure you become at least top 3 in the world after 5 years. How do you do this ? Just go and copy the blueprint of clubs like Ajax, Dortmund, Sevilla, Southampton, BUT make it better.

Back
Top Bottom