Striker?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With harrys ever more depressing post match bullshit about why we lost, and what he said yesterday about striker shortage, why in the name of christ didnt he give Souleymane Coulibaly a chance yesterday, or at all for that matter.
Sure the kid is only 17, and has no experience of premiership football, but lets be brutally honest here, could he have done any worse than the performance displayed yesterday by supposed 'time served professionals'.
I personally am itching for the kid to be given to chance to show us what he has to offer on a bigger stage than youth games, and I do not for one second see his age as a barrier. He is strong, powerful, naturally gifted and has all the potential adel tarrabt showed in the early days, i just hope he can deliver a bit better than adel did.

Thoughts??

As much as I don't think Defoe is up to the task I am not sure throwing in unblooded players is the answer.

Mind you, Cameron Lanceaster looked quite good when he got five minutes earlier this season.

Smoked Salmon said:
As much as I don't think Defoe is up to the task I am not sure throwing in unblooded players is the answer.

Mind you, Cameron Lanceaster looked quite good when he got five minutes earlier this season.

My point was: what the fuck have we got to lose?, we are losing miserably without playing him so why not give it a shot, even just 30mins in a game could give an indication of what he is capable of.

I wish people would stop overhyping Coulibaly, the kid hasn't even got a professional contract yet. We should just give Gio a run.

I'd be more worried why 'Arry thinks Saha is a solution when anyone with even a vague knowledge of Everton in recent years will tell you he's an injury prone waste. Furthermore I'd be worried that Everton can go and pick up Jelavic from Rangers who seems to be the natural penalty area goalscorer we have been lacking for years.

Surely Joe Jordan, Clive Allen and Led Ferdinand know a thing or two about what strikers we need?

zin said:
I wish people would stop overhyping Coulibaly, the kid hasn't even got a professional contract yet. We should just give Gio a run.

Seem to remember him comming on yesterday and go missing immediately. Did he even touch the ball?

Rilla said:
zin said:

Seem to remember him comming on yesterday and go missing immediately. Did he even touch the ball?

He barely got 10 minutes. He won a freekick in a dangerous area and did some forward running with the ball, much more than can be said for some players in the entire 90 minutes!

I don't get the grilling Gio gets, he's played 15 league games in 4 seasons at Spurs and most were cameo appearances. This season he's played a total of 45 minutes in 5 appearances in the league. He played a good game against Shamrock at home in the Europa and Cheltenham in the FA Cup, getting a goal and an assist in each game. I really don't get the criticism he gets.

dont get me wrong, i dont 'dislike' him per-say, and yeah i dont think he has been given the chance to realize his potential. Watched him play for mexico a few times and every time I have watched him he makes chickencheato look like a dick.

I think the main reasons for him not getting opportunities at spurs is all the off field antics, the night clubs, the beer etc.

Maybe under a diff manager, if a; we get one, and b; he is still here, he will get a final shot to prove himself. I hope he does.

Gio forced a really good save from Kenny from a shot that was going straight into the bottom corner yesterday.

He's never been given a run of games like a lot of the players seen as 'dead wood' at the club.

Bassong was only called upon every 6 weeks or so and therefore not match fit, then ridiculed for his performances.

Bentley, last time he was given a run of games, looked not far off the player he was at B'burn.

Maybe with a different manager in charge in the summer he'll be given an opportunity. And not just 8 minutes when we're losing.

zin said:
I don't get the grilling Gio gets, he's played 15 league games in 4 seasons at Spurs and most were cameo appearances. This season he's played a total of 45 minutes in 5 appearances in the league. He played a good game against Shamrock at home in the Europa and Cheltenham in the FA Cup, getting a goal and an assist in each game. I really don't get the criticism he gets.
Give it up, everyone here hates Gio except me you and Maria :gio:

I think he has something to offer, pointless moaning about lack of squad depth when you've got players you refuse to lose. And I also disagree with the 'he goes clubbing' argument - what about when the senior players start organizing christmas piss-ups (PSB) and nothing happens to them..

I'd be happy to see someone on the bench. Maybe throwing Coulibaly straight into the first team wouldn't be wise, but there's no reason he shouldn't be a sub for 10 minutes at the end of the game. As mentioned, Lancaster looked lively in the 10mins he got against Wigan, wouldn't mind seeing him again.

And half the problem at the moment seems to be the lack of desire in the squad. Throw some youngsters in at home to Blackburn who are eager to impress and have a bit of heart, see where it gets us. Walker has been terrible, give Smith a run-out instead..

My final point would be that we have no right to complain about lack of depth when we've got about 30 players out on loan. I'd love to see Townsend in contention, might give Bale a fucking wake-up call. We have no defenders yet we've got Caulker, Corluka, and Bassong all out at other clubs?! No strikers? Harry Kane, Ryan Mason etc. all out on loan. It's a farce.

:gio: isn't a striker though, I understand the NEED :harryblow: :levystare: FOR A FUCKING STRIKER (or we could buy an injury :saha: )
but thats not where Gio fits in. Totally understand the squad rotation argument though, and I think Steven Piennar could be a pretty big player for us next year when :modric: is inevitably lured away, he has been immense for Everton but that is a whole different kettle of fish. Without the injury/Redknapploaningeverybodyintheworldout cancer we've had this year we would have a decent second 11 (on paper)
:gomes:
Charlie Gallas Dawson DANNY ROSE!!!
:sandro: :hudd:
:bentley: :niko: :gio:
:saha:
That looks better than Norwich and fucking QPaaaargh's teams.
The injury blight is one thing you cannot fault Harry for (buying cover is a different story) think Dawson has been our biggest miss, forcing Ledley to play 9000 times more than what is medically possible for the great man has cost us. I think this year he has lost his mystique a bit as he is absofuckinglutely knackered. I have no doubt that he will be a wall for us again next year, he should be used sparingly as he has been in the previous three or so seasons, bring him out against the big boys or as emergency cover, not a regular ever. I'm just venting shit now, still depressed from qpaaaaargh :gomes: sorry.

Gets pissed when he wants
Clubber Dos Santos

dossantosXP_450x399.jpg

Back
Top Bottom