Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Haha imagine Levy spunking 50 million on a striker, that would mean he took a dose of some real nasty acid

I agree, but the fact is that top quality strikers are in really short demand as is. With us hitting two jackpots with the new tv deal and (and most likely) getting in the CL without qualification, we're bound to be held ransom over the few top quality on the market. Which leaves two options. An inferior choice, in which case we may as well not bother imho. Or going for talent. Which is fine with me, but it doesn't solve the problem next season barring the miracle of striking gold twice in a row by getting another Alli-type signing.

Which leads me to an oldie but goodie. I just cannot shake the feeling that Bale will return in the summer. It would make sense for all three parties.

Bale because he's being made the scape goat, and with Barca running away the league it's only going to intensify. He may say otherwise, but he's only human and it has to affect him.

Looking at their squad, Real need a major overhaul imo, and as much as they usually just throw money around, I'd expect they need some serious incomings to fund it. Also, with Barca (and Atletico) making them look bad, they need it, not just for footballing reasons but for appearences, with the president up for election next year. Selling the fans scape goat and bringing in new blood would be in line with someone trying to get re-elected.

As for us, yes Levy and Poch has talked about sensible signings, but if there ever was a time for a marquee signing, this would be it. Without understanding the mechanisms of football economics fully, I'd say, he's one of the few signings that would pay for himself in shirt sales and exposure in regions where the club wants, especially the coinciding of Bale with the NFL deal in the US. Bringing back the World's most expensive player would have huge marketing value as we with one deal would go from selling club (in the broader public's view) to an ambitious top, top club.

At the very least it's not as impropable as at first glance, and he could do a better job than most as a false 9/striker when needing to fill in for Kane.

Bale coming back would make me very happy,Imagine the extra threat of having Bale in your line up - it would lift the pressure on all of our front players.
Just dont know if he would still fit in our set up. Marquee signings often mean high maintenance and conflict with the coach who wants to make sure that no one has priviliges. If he comes and has a modest attitude (something he really had) then its a no brainer. But cant see Real accepting something in the region of let's say 50 million for him.

I agree, but the fact is that top quality strikers are in really short demand as is. With us hitting two jackpots with the new tv deal and (and most likely) getting in the CL without qualification, we're bound to be held ransom over the few top quality on the market. Which leaves two options. An inferior choice, in which case we may as well not bother imho. Or going for talent. Which is fine with me, but it doesn't solve the problem next season barring the miracle of striking gold twice in a row by getting another Alli-type signing.

Which leads me to an oldie but goodie. I just cannot shake the feeling that Bale will return in the summer. It would make sense for all three parties.

Bale because he's being made the scape goat, and with Barca running away the league it's only going to intensify. He may say otherwise, but he's only human and it has to affect him.

Looking at their squad, Real need a major overhaul imo, and as much as they usually just throw money around, I'd expect they need some serious incomings to fund it. Also, with Barca (and Atletico) making them look bad, they need it, not just for footballing reasons but for appearences, with the president up for election next year. Selling the fans scape goat and bringing in new blood would be in line with someone trying to get re-elected.

As for us, yes Levy and Poch has talked about sensible signings, but if there ever was a time for a marquee signing, this would be it. Without understanding the mechanisms of football economics fully, I'd say, he's one of the few signings that would pay for himself in shirt sales and exposure in regions where the club wants, especially the coinciding of Bale with the NFL deal in the US. Bringing back the World's most expensive player would have huge marketing value as we with one deal would go from selling club (in the broader public's view) to an ambitious top, top club.

At the very least it's not as impropable as at first glance, and he could do a better job than most as a false 9/striker when needing to fill in for Kane.

I cannot see Bale returning to us, first option deal or not. Maybe we could write off the remainder of the Madrid debt on Bale, perhaps we could pay his wages due to TV deal. However Bale coming back could potentially upset the well harvested squad harmony. Pochettino has expelled 'big' personalities out of the squad, I see Bale coming back with a big time Charlie reputation, which is not what we're about. Would he be happy to follow the instructions of Pochettino and give his all for the team philosophy?

Bale coming back would make me very happy, just dont know if he would still fit in our set up. Marquee signings often mean high maintenance and conflict with the coach who wants to make sure that no one has priviliges. If he comes and has a modest attitude (something he really had) then its a no brainer. But cant see Real accepting something in the region of let's say 50 million for him.

Lets not forget his attitude when he stopped turning up for training just before his move. He will have a new found ego having played for Madrid.

Really looking forward to seeing how we strengthen in the summer. I'm incredibly happy with our squad, but some muched needed cover in important positions would do us a world of good. I wouldn't mind signing along the lines of Insigne either, a player of his calibre would truly spur us on to greater things

Seeing as I'm loving a pipedream at the minute.

Mario Gotze?

Wants to leave Bayern. Favourite to go to Liverpool due to Klopp. Would it be possible to hijack if we come 1st-2nd?

Probably not but imagine.

giphy.gif

I cannot see Bale returning to us, first option deal or not. Maybe we could write off the remainder of the Madrid debt on Bale, perhaps we could pay his wages due to TV deal. However Bale coming back could potentially upset the well harvested squad harmony. Pochettino has expelled 'big' personalities out of the squad, I see Bale coming back with a big time Charlie reputation, which is not what we're about. Would he be happy to follow the instructions of Pochettino and give his all for the team philosophy?

I think, there's a very real risk that you're correct that he's gotten too big for his boots. But equally, he may have found out first hand that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, and that there's more value in being a dressing room with coherence rather than one filled with huge egos. I tend to believe the latter most, but I agree that there's every chance your feeling is correct, in which case I would agree. Wouldn't want him back and near the squad if that's the case, no matter how good he is. The (top level) footballing world should be small enough that Poch can gather intel on Bale's mental attitude these days, though.

Seeing as I'm loving a pipedream at the minute.

Mario Gotze?

Wants to leave Bayern. Favourite to go to Liverpool due to Klopp. Would it be possible to hijack if we come 1st-2nd?

Probably not but imagine.

giphy.gif

One elite player that would fit into our squad, still relatively young, trying to rebuild his reputation after his Bayern stint.

Gazump dippers along the way.

Do it!

I think, there's a very real risk that you're correct that he's gotten too big for his boots. But equally, he may have found out first hand that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, and that there's more value in being a dressing room with coherence rather than one filled with huge egos. I tend to believe the latter most, but I agree that there's every chance your feeling is correct, in which case I would agree. Wouldn't want him back and near the squad if that's the case, no matter how good he is. The (top level) footballing world should be small enough that Poch can gather intel on Bale's mental attitude these days, though.

When I see Bale now playing for Real, I no longer see him as the player that electrified The Lane with his runs and thunderbastards into the back of the net. He has that ridiculous hair, he's properly henched himself up, it all sound like a vanity project. He'll more than likely go to Utd, the Chavs or Shitty for £100m+, and my love for him will slowly die a little bit more.

When I see Bale now playing for Real, I no longer see him as the player that electrified The Lane with his runs and thunderbastards into the back of the net. He has that ridiculous hair, he's properly henched himself up, it all sound like a vanity project. He'll more than likely go to Utd, the Chavs or Shitty for £100m+, and my love for him will slowly die a little bit more.

Isn't is natural though, that his role has changed at such a different club? He's not meant to make those runs when the crowd moans every time, he doesn't pass to Ronaldo!

Come to think of it, a much better test than how he looks, acts and plays at Real, is how he does say with Wales. He's much more the star of the show there, than he would be returning to us. Any fans from Wales with insight into what's being said of his attitude in training with the national team, and what his attitude looks like in matches?

Oh, and making assumptions based on hair is a no go! That number of footballers with stupid haircuts far outweighs those with normal ones at top clubs :clintonohshit:

People still pining over Bale. :harrylol:

Everyone better get used to the idea that there won't be any premier signings this summer. Between Levy, the stadium, and Poch not appearing to be the type to go out and snag the trendiest name available, we're for promising experiments.

Isn't is natural though, that his role has changed at such a different club? He's not meant to make those runs when the crowd moans every time, he doesn't pass to Ronaldo!

Come to think of it, a much better test than how he looks, acts and plays at Real, is how he does say with Wales. He's much more the star of the show there, than he would be returning to us. Any fans from Wales with insight into what's being said of his attitude in training with the national team, and what his attitude looks like in matches?

Oh, and making assumptions based on hair is a no go! That number of footballers with stupid haircuts far outweighs those with normal ones at top clubs :clintonohshit:
I've seen him play for Wales quite a lot as we seem to always draw against them with Belgium, his attitude and teamplay there are quite impressive. He leads through example and works his socks of, but we are a big team now so maybe that's not really telling of how we reacts when playing minor gods. Playing against Belgium has become something prestigious.

We were also linked with Tiielemans not long ago. Would be a great understudy to Dembele
There is a big question mark there, if we sign Tielemans he will be expensive but he needs at least 8 months to adapt and learn. Its up to the club and coach to make that clear to the fans, it will be a huge investment but we'll have to be patient with a lad who's that young.

Back
Top Bottom