Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Perisic is a decent signing, good for squad depth but not this “statement signing” people are proclaiming it as.
He’s 33! Is he still as good a player as he was in his prime? What were his numbers like last season?

Like I said, good squad depth signing at most but I really hope we’re not signing him as a starter…
Why? He's way better than all of our wingbacks.

He played 35 times in Serie A last season - he's still go the minerals.

Perisic would be awesome.

I like Weston McKennie, he's a good, rubust player and I think he has a bit of goal threat that isn't fully utilized in how Juventus play. Don't think he offers us much with the ball at his feet that we don't already have, I'd hope we have better targets for midfield to be honest.

Not surprised by this link, Paratici and Conte love him
If Conte likes what he got from Bentancur/PEH as sort of 6/8 hybrids and wants more of it, then I think McKennie is a great fit. Agree with Doc that he doesn't offer a ton more than what we have, but compared to Hojbjerg he has a better end product and is fabulous on set pieces. I think in a pattern-based system like Conte's it's theoretical that you could minimize his deficiences by giving him consistent passes to make and maximize his assets (superb work rate, late runs). If Ndombele frustrated us all with his demeanor, McKennie will do the exact opposite.

I also think a consistent role would IMMENSELY benefit him, as he's been jerked around the pitch by both club and country. I say that with bias, though, as he's my favorite player with the USMNT and grew up not far from where I did. He would jump to the top of who I want on my psychedelic blue kit we'll have next year. I think he's USA's best player most games, and playing every week on US TV would probably help us recoup whatever we spent on him anyway.

I like Weston McKennie, he's a good, rubust player and I think he has a bit of goal threat that isn't fully utilized in how Juventus play. Don't think he offers us much with the ball at his feet that we don't already have, I'd hope we have better targets for midfield to be honest.
Yeah if we had him instead of peh or benta, I'd be happy, but now with a 150m war chest, and real ambition, I want the next tier up.

With a backline of perisic, bastoni, diet, Romero, an attack of son, kane, kulu. Mckennie falls short of making us truly elite.

Perisic is a decent signing, good for squad depth but not this “statement signing” people are proclaiming it as.
He’s 33! Is he still as good a player as he was in his prime? What were his numbers like last season?

Like I said, good squad depth signing at most but I really hope we’re not signing him as a starter…
33 is the new 30 nowadays when it comes to footballers at the top level. It should be fine.

The basic is easy to understand. Like half the words are the same.
I don't speak either langauge, but from what I've been exposed to, it's seems a lot like Freisian and English, or Bangla and Hindi and other langauges that are closely related to each other.

There are a huge number of cognates and the grammer is very similar too. Often, you just need to transform an existing word in one langauge to its corresponding version in the other based on a certain pattern of sound changes. Like a lot of portuguese words end with that nasal "ão" sound. e.g. the spanish say "selección" for the NT squad, but the Portuguese say "seleção".

Also how the Portuguese "d" often comes out as more of a "j" than a "d". Like "universidade" to English ears would sound more like "universidaje".

These are the patterns I'm aware of as a non-speaker of either language, I imagine actual speakers would find it very easy to figure them out.

Last edited by a moderator:

We could do a lot worse than McKennie, who would give us another Bentancur-esque mobile CDM with box to box stylings. Anything 22m or under would be pretty good business I think. And good brand exposure in the USA, of which we've got none right now, and would be nice to have with CL ball next season...

Yea we could do better, but Perisic, Bastoni, Eriksen, McKennie and another attacker and it'd have been an absolute monster of a window anyways.

We could do a lot worse than McKennie, who would give us another Bentancur-esque mobile CDM with box to box stylings. Anything 22m or under would be pretty good business I think. And good brand exposure in the USA, of which we've got none right now, and would be nice to have with CL ball next season...

Yea we could do better, but Perisic, Bastoni, Eriksen, McKennie and another attacker and it'd have been an absolute monster of a window anyways.
Say we get rid of Winks and bring in Eriksen on a free.

That gives us PEH, Benta, Skipp, Eriksen, and McKennie for the 2/3 midfield positions, but I don't feel that any of them are ELITE. Like Romero, Bastoni and Perisic.

For me, we'd sell one of PEH/Benta to fit him in and then get someone like Bissouma who is good on the ball, but selling PEH/Benta this summer would be destabilising to the team.

The other thing that Perisic really offers from LWB is he also has the ability to cut in and score with his right foot. Our system and with Kane dropping and passing creates so much space for our WBs. There is a ton of room for goals from that position if we actually get a technical player there. He will probably score more than Kostic would.

I’m also stoked that we aren’t afraid to get an older player. Class is class and we need more of it. Someone already made a good list of the top players older than him. Guys like that will help you win trophies. Even if Sessegnon is excellent next year and firmly takes the starting role. Perisic is the kind of guy who can step up in a big game even if he hasn’t played a bunch.

McKennie is not creative and is not great with the ball at his feet.

But, how many times this year did we see PEH or Bentacor free with the ball in the box and no idea what to do? McKennie will make those runs even more often and he can finish. We need creativity as well, but we could do a lot worse in midfield.

McKennie is not creative and is not great with the ball at his feet.

But, how many times this year did we see PEH or Bentacor free with the ball in the box and no idea what to do? McKennie will make those runs even more often and he can finish. We need creativity as well, but we could do a lot worse in midfield.
A player like Bissouma can do that and be quality on the ball, which we desperately need to be able to play out the back.

I'd have McKennie instead of PEH or Benta (sell one), but it would be terrible for squad morale to axe either this summer.

The other thing that Perisic really offers from LWB is he also has the ability to cut in and score with his right foot. Our system and with Kane dropping and passing creates so much space for our WBs. There is a ton of room for goals from that position if we actually get a technical player there. He will probably score more than Kostic would.

I’m also stoked that we aren’t afraid to get an older player. Class is class and we need more of it. Someone already made a good list of the top players older than him. Guys like that will help you win trophies. Even if Sessegnon is excellent next year and firmly takes the starting role. Perisic is the kind of guy who can step up in a big game even if he hasn’t played a bunch.
This is why I think Perisic will be ideal. An older and more experienced player with a winning mentality.

Our team needs players like him that will drive them forward. Conte does it from the sidelines, but we need the elite winners on the pitch.

33 is the new 30 nowadays when it comes to footballers at the top level. It should be fine.
Yes and no, depends on the player. Rooney was finished at 28 for example….. but Perisic played 35 league games which suggests he’s in great shape and five subs rule makes it a no brainer

Dang getting Persic to "choose us" on a free would be an awesome way to kickstart our xfer window! It would turn heads, grab eyeballs, and be a real sign of confidence in our clubs progression this season.
That's stretching it a bit. He's a top player but he's 33 years and none of the big clubs were after him (yes, Chelski was said to be lurking but apparently had not offered him any deal). He had a loan spell at Bayern for the 2019-2020 season and they sent him back to Inter.
He's a good signing nontheless.

Not many mentions anywhere of Alexander Isak. Would be a great option as our 4th attacker (can lead the line too). Has the Kulu connection at international level. Has had a poor goal return so should be available cheaper than last year. Sociedad we’re on of the Spanish sides reportedly after GLC so potentially there’s a deal to be had there. And Woolwich we’re keen so would be gazumping them.

Back
Top Bottom