Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There is a "good" reason for why Boro let him leave on loan and not recall him. There are several "reports" about him having an attitude problem.
One good game vs Woolwich does not make you a top-notch RWB.
But if Conte wants him well, that's a different matter
You are not gonna sign a young "top notch RWB" from the Championship, but are looking for potential there for a reasonable fee. Matt Cash was far from a top full-back when Villa signed him from Forest in 2020 (and he was 23 at the time), but he has really developed himself over the past 18 months.

Djed Spence is only 21 years old.

Kane will be the big issue again this summer. He will have two years left of his current deal and it doesn't look like he wants to extend it.

Yeah very good player already, and got loads more in the tank. But same as with Cash, would be damn expensive so probably better off finding the next Trossard.

If Villa, Brighton and others can unearth gems, surely we could too with a bit of effort from our scouting geniuses
True. Sometimes you need to just buy proven quality though. They wouldn’t be cheap but hardly break the bank type purchases. Think of what we spent on lo Celso and ndombele from the Spanish/french leagues that turned out to be shite

These are the present understudies to Lloris right now and I doubt any of them will develop into "solid" 1st choice goalkeepers.

Pierluigi Gollini
Alfie Whiteman
Brandon Austin
Joshua Oluwayemi
Kacper Kyrlowicz

So, Spurs need to start now to look for a successor to Lloris. I would quite like the idea rumored in the press, that Samir Handanovič (even Buffon would do for me) will be brought in as 2nd choice for next season - but that Spurs also buys a 1 or 2 young talented goalies who can learn from both Lloris and Handanovič (if he comes of course) and then be sent out on loan.
Of course, Jan Oblak - whose contract is expiring 2023 - would be an obvious 1st choice but, yes. very unrealistic.
Should Sam Johnstone come then he'd be 2nd choice straight away. If that didn't work out I'd be happy to take 1 or, preferably, 2 of the following (and loan them out):

Charlie Setford
Etienne Green
Maarten Vandervoort
Gabriel Slonina
Jakub Markovič

Last edited:
Maarten Vandervoort
Dunno' why, but read that as
5phJc7.gif

True. Sometimes you need to just buy proven quality though. They wouldn’t be cheap but hardly break the bank type purchases. Think of what we spent on lo Celso and ndombele from the Spanish/french leagues that turned out to be shite
Yeah that's fair.

It ain't (always) about spending big anyway, it's about spending clever.

But lots of fans would still agree that we oughta do much, much better when it comes to scouting. Apart from Dele, who was an absolutely genius move, especially for 5 mil...who else did we get that was young, cheap and turned into a super player? Bale. But that was like forever ago.

Obviously we ain't gonna get lucky every year, but look at how often teams like Ajax and Dortmund do. If they can do it, so can we. Especially cause that's proper Levy territory that...buying low and selling high

Yeah that's fair.

It ain't (always) about spending big anyway, it's about spending clever.

But lots of fans would still agree that we oughta do much, much better when it comes to scouting. Apart from Dele, who was an absolutely genius move, especially for 5 mil...who else did we get that was young, cheap and turned into a super player? Bale. But that was like forever ago.

Neither are superstars, but like Dele; Dier & Trippier were cracking value and have have proved their worth in spades.

Poor batting average in recent years though; no doubt.

Obviously we ain't gonna get lucky every year, but look at how often teams like Ajax and Dortmund do. If they can do it, so can we. Especially cause that's proper Levy territory that...buying low and selling high

Both Ajax & BVB are virtually guaranteed CL every year. That goes a long way in attracting the worlds best young players (+ Ajax is has a strong emphasis on their academy too)...... More viable comparrisons would be Leicester (whom we should be able to trump in terms of appeal) and clubs like Sevilla. You could also cite the likes of Lyon and Monaco, but like Ajax, an easier league allows a gentler improvement curve when developing players....

Haven’t followed yesterday, been very busy at work. What are the loan clauses for Ndombele and Lo Celso? Also I’ve seen we’ve sold Alli for free? And we’re getting £10m if he plays 20 games?

Haven’t followed yesterday, been very busy at work. What are the loan clauses for Ndombele and Lo Celso? Also I’ve seen we’ve sold Alli for free? And we’re getting £10m if he plays 20 games?
Apparently a lot more than 10m depending on how it goes. Basically, we did Everton a favour on FFP, and in return, the clauses mean that it will sting a lot for them later.

So, with more time and more financial space, it shouldn't be too hard to give Conte a lot more of a finished squad. A new keeper to succeed Hugo, a left-footed centreback (apparently rarer than hen's teeth), a right-wing back, at least one striker (maybe a second if we sell Kane).

Since we seem to be semi-budget conscious, we might as well use the points we have at Amsterdam hotels to offer deals to Onana and Mazroui (both can leave Ajax on frees in June, so no fee, just salary), and throw all the money at Jonathan David at Lille (who are still skint and will sell). Would solve a lot of issues pretty easily.

So, with more time and more financial space, it shouldn't be too hard to give Conte a lot more of a finished squad. A new keeper to succeed Hugo, a left-footed centreback (apparently rarer than hen's teeth), a right-wing back, at least one striker (maybe a second if we sell Kane).

Since we seem to be semi-budget conscious, we might as well use the points we have at Amsterdam hotels to offer deals to Onana and Mazroui (both can leave Ajax on frees in June, so no fee, just salary), and throw all the money at Jonathan David at Lille (who are still skint and will sell). Would solve a lot of issues pretty easily.

He's already an Inter player come July 2022.

GK, CB, RWB, ST

4 positions needed (not gonna say CM now as Sarr will be given an opportunity).

GK maybe a loan to save the £££££ on 3 quality players in the other 3 positions.

You are not gonna sign a young "top notch RWB" from the Championship, but are looking for potential there for a reasonable fee. Matt Cash was far from a top full-back when Villa signed him from Forest in 2020 (and he was 23 at the time), but he has really developed himself over the past 18 months.

Djed Spence is only 21 years old.
Cash only become good after he decided to become Polish and play for Poland 😁
Anyway, seriously speaking, the doubts many seem to have about Spence is not his football abilities but his attitude. I cannot confirm he's got attitude problems (as I don't know him) but there are enough reports about it for me to somehow believe them.
Very recently Spurs have had their own experiences with 2 top-class talents - i.e. Dele and Ndombele - who 2 top-disciplinarian head -coaches, Mourinho and Conte, could not even improve. Conte isn't able to, by some magic change a player's attitude.
I remember Cash was touted by fans as a possible RB candidate while he was at Nottingham F. but he ended up with Villa - where he didn't become a hit overnight. But Villa let him bid his time. Spurs, however, seem to be in a hurry all the time - "Hurry up ...and wait." Look at the fans if a player doesn't hit the strides right away - there is no end to what a shite player he is. Right now Villa have ambitions to challenge for the CL spot so I doubt they'll even consider selling him - unless Spurs offer crazy money.

Last edited:
At this moment I would want these probably in this order of importance.

P1 - RWB
P2 - Striker
P3 - LCB
P4 - CM (Little creative)
P5 - GK

Then decide on Gil and Sarrs development and on youngsters ready to move up.

Probably looking at Tanganga or Sanchez, Doherty, Bergwijn & Rodon on the move on list, however things can change quickly in the second half of the season.

Here are some names that'd be on my shopping list for next season:

- GK: Henderson (Man U), Meslier (Leeds), Pope (Burnley), Strakosha (Lazio), Remiro (Sociedad)

- CB: Tarkowski (Burnley), Lacroix (Wolfsburg), Botman (Lille), Kehrer (PSG), Lenglet (Barca), Pau Torres (Villareal), Kalulu (AC Milan)

- RWB: Maehle (Atalanta), Dumfries (Inter), Cash (Villa), KWP (So'ton), Lazzari (Lazio), Centonze (Metz), Porro (Sporting), Stanisic (Bayern)

- CM: Pellegrini (Roma), Milinkovic-Savic (Lazio), Bellingham (Dortmund), Kamara (Marseille), Fofana (Lens), Fekir (Betis)

- FWD: Simeone (Hellas) , Inaki Williams (Bilbao), Zapata (Atalanta), Berardi (Sassuolo), Scamacca (Sassuolo), De Ketelaere (Bruges), Diaby (Leverkusen), N'Kunku (Leipzig), Sarabia (PSG)

Back
Top Bottom