Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
And, with your logic, 150 million more ambitious than City.

At some point you have to get it through your thick heads that the amount of spending means fuck all, if it's not done smartly.

Until City bring in Paqueta and Doku. Also fails to account for the true cost of Haaland who really wasn't 50m.

If our squad didn't have glaring issues and donkeys still clogging up the squad places, I couldn't give a fuck about the net spend because it would feel like the football team had at least become a priority for once.

But Levy doesn't spend as much or as smartly as his rivals. And he's just sold a generational talent.

Absolutely.

They are going to host friendly games at St James park with the Saudi NT playing. Geordies will pack that and support the Saudi team because they are so in love with the investment their new owners are bringing in.
Nothing like watching Geordie fans getting on their knees and acknowledging their new Middle Eastern Masters!

GIF by Gorton's Fisherman

His transfer fee was listed as 50m ish.

The agent fees, back door payments and bonuses offered to player (some outside his official salary via off shore shenanigans) took that transfer way above 150m

The 50m was just for FFP bullshitting.
You're conflating transfer fees and salary (and "other").

Borussia Dortmund received 50m (wasn't it more like 60?), the value of Haaland's release clause.

Every big club in the world was lining up to do the same. City paid all sorts to get to the front of that queue. That all counts in FFP terms, but not in net transfer spend terms.

You're conflating transfer fees and salary (and "other").

Borussia Dortmund received 50m (wasn't it more like 60?), the value of Haaland's release clause.

Every big club in the world was lining up to do the same. City paid all sorts to get to the front of that queue. That all counts in FFP terms, but not in net transfer spend terms.

It was fishy all round. Haaland signed a contract extension the year before that reduced his release clause to 50m.

That transfer may have officially cost a 60m transfer fee but it was never in a million years a 60m transfer.

Sign on bonuses don't count as salary btw.

Since Qatar played in the Copa America, I think we can assume anything is possible in football if the right money is offered.
CONMEBOL is weird. There have been national team outside it that have participated in the Copa America in past years so I wouldn't read too much into that.

CONMEBOL is weird. There have been national team outside it that have participated in the Copa America in past years so I wouldn't read too much into that.
Stuff like this, the summer tournaments, the super league, Saudis - it's all moving one way. Football will not stay in a nice little regional box. Christ, one day, PL teams could even be franchises moved about on financial whims. Nothing would surprise me.

His transfer fee was listed as 50m ish.

The agent fees, back door payments and bonuses offered to player (some outside his official salary via off shore shenanigans) took that transfer way above 150m

To a greater or lesser extent; every deal is subject to wages, agent fees and extras too.

(Can't remember when now; but not so long ago Man U were reported to have spent near 100m on agent fees alone in one year!)

.......Do the above figures include loan fees for all the respective clubs? ........Any other player-related financial quirks? I shan't pretend to know; but as is typical, once one start's pulling at the threads of any 'easy hit' set of figures; the complexity of the true picture renders them rather superficial (...Not unlike the whole "what window does x player get attributed to" crap-fest when it boils down to actual cashflow, rather than projected annual budgets).

The 50m was just for FFP bullshitting.

Nah, you're getting that muddled... 50m was trf fee payable to BVB..... The rest of the money you're describing didn't go down the same channel.

Yes, his agent set a low release clause with BVB that allowed Haaland the chance to max out his earning and retain max freedom of movement, but it was never a case of simply "whack it all into wages so the fee doesn't wreck Man Cs FFP from the trf fee end"..... That's just a convenient up-shot.

Last edited:
Until City bring in Paqueta and Doku. Also fails to account for the true cost of Haaland who really wasn't 50m.

If our squad didn't have glaring issues and donkeys still clogging up the squad places, I couldn't give a fuck about the net spend because it would feel like the football team had at least become a priority for once.

But Levy doesn't spend as much or as smartly as his rivals. And he's just sold a generational talent.
He spends. He doesn't spend smartly. By the looks of it that's changing. Hopefully that continues, but there's still going to be the odd dud.

No chance of anyone bidding anything like that in cash.

If I were Spurs I might try a bid of cash and player(s) - for example £40m and Spence and maybe White.

Both players that Palace could play and develop, plus they spend cash to bring in their first recruits of window.

Not sure its worth pushing more if Palace are not receptive : likely he'll cost less in the next window with less time left on his contract

Back
Top Bottom