Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
It could be Sessegnon MK2 though.
A lot of comparables:
Young home grown player who set the championship alight.
First season in PL dropped off considerably ( yes I know , more so in Sessegnons case).
Lot of PL clubs interested but that cooled after that first season in the PL but we were still hovering while other big clubs backed away.
Even the build and characteristics are similar. Possibly not physical enough , both go missing and both look a bit timid.
As we've seen with Sessegnon , he seems to lack confidence and belief and looks like a rabbit caught in headlights at times. As if the move was too big for him.
Getting the same vibes with Johnson , although not to quite the extent as with Sessegnon. 50/50 on this one.
Certainly would expect a player costing £50m to immediately improve our first eleven.

With Sess, the signs should have been heeded..... The year he came up with Fulham (and then got relegated) he left no impression (regardless of goal and assist tally's).........

Johnson has at least risen to the (EPL) occasion upon arrival.

Define cheating? FFP rules are clearly too weak, and they aren’t bribing refs. Just proud, ambitious people trying to inspire their team to be successful. Yes their owners are brown which clearly irks you but hey, that alone is not cheating
What the hell has the colour of their skin to do with anything??? Did i say anything slightly racist???

They are using their owners money! Money the club doesn´t have, or their daily operations bring in = CHEATING!!!

Were you born yesterday?? I hate to break it to you, but what Chelski, Man City, and PSG have been doing the last 15 years is CHEATING!! And it has destroyed football as we knew it!

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It could be Sessegnon MK2 though.
A lot of comparables:
First season in PL dropped off considerably ( yes I know , more so in Sessegnons case).
Lot of PL clubs interested but that cooled after that first season in the PL but we were still hovering while other big clubs backed away.
Even the build and characteristics are similar. Possibly not physical enough , both go missing and both look a bit timid.
As we've seen with Sessegnon , he seems to lack confidence and belief and looks like a rabbit caught in headlights at times. As if the move was too big for him.
Getting the same vibes with Johnson , although not to quite the extent as with Sessegnon. 50/50 on this one.
Certainly would expect a player costing £50m to immediately improve our first eleven.
Isn't one big difference that we bought Sessegnon after he was injured, and before we saw how he recovered from it?

Johnson has at least risen to the (EPL) occasion upon arrival.
The devil is in the distinction here.

Most clubs in the premier league (in fact all of them, even bloody us now I think?) have had money put in to the club by owners.
Not to mention every other level on the pyramid, other league in the world, or time in football history.

A football club in a promotion and relegation system durably running off of only its own revenue is an impossible dream. ENIC have broken historically unprecedented ground in how low they're willing to run the wages/turnover ratio, but even they haven't achieved the cold fusion perpetual motion machine of a "sustainable" club in an open system.

Now when you can be an anticompetitive cartel colluding to keep labor costs down like the NFL? Different story.

Isn't one big difference that we bought Sessegnon after he was injured, and before we saw how he recovered from it?
Possibly. I can't remember tbh.
In which case , it's even worse. Due diligence wasn't done , just like Ndombelly. Same window as well. Not to mention Lo Celso .
Jack Clarke was actually the best purchase of that window and he probably played about 10 minutes in total for us!
Whoever was responsible for that window should have been sent to the gulag !

Last edited:
Ok sorry! Let me rephrase, they are using A LOT more money than their revenues bring in. They are operating on huge losses! Better?

I really fail to care much whether big spending is 'organic' (i.e United) or whether some billionaire has put some cash in to the club. Whatever it is, it all traces back to somebody along the line investing money in to get the club to that point.

The valid reason to care about the Saudis is that their money happens to come from a particularly Not Nice source & in the case of Chelsea they basically are actually cheating.

Possibly. I can't remember tbh.
In which case , it's even worse. Due diligence wasn't done , just like Ndombelly. Same window as well. Not to mention Lo Celso .
Jack Clarke was actually the best purchase of that window and he probably played about 10 minutes in total for us!
Whoever was responsible for that window should have been sent to the gulag !
The further away we get from it the clearer it becomes that we would've been better off not spending any money that summer. Not a single signing achieved anything

Back
Top Bottom