Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Shit window again..we needed at least 2 cbs and a striker and that was before kane was sold..
Then we blow the best part of £50m on some very average forest youngster, instead of just buying a quality cb with that money...pathetic...so we now have nobody to play at cb if romero or van de ven get injured..that should be considered negligence in my opinion....I cannot believe we paid nearly £50m for this johnson guy, are we fucking serious....
People have to get over the 50m. 50m is equivalent to 30m a few years ago. It’s the new normal. You have to adjust

So you'd keep him around the periphery of the club in the hopes of saving a few poxy quid if some mugs loan him?

He's not going to be sold because nobody in their right mind is going to come close to matching our wages on somebody that can't be trusted to even act like a professional.
It’s not a few poxy quid though, is it?
It’s the cost of a back-up CB or more than we paid for our keeper.
Of course, it’s not your money so what do you care?
Sure you’re not from the Liverpool Labour Party mate?

You made a succession of posts insistent that we've done nothing to improve the team on the basis of a shit CB3

Maddison and VdV are great signings, and there are a number of players that Ange will improve.

I'm very worried about our CB depth, and feel it could cost us big time this season.

However we've transferred in some players that improve us- but I don't think that itself compensates for losing 30 goals a season.

The question isn’t whether we’ve done nothing to help the team.
My frustration is at the fact we haven’t done enough. Losing Kane is a big blow and we needed a strong window to compensate for his goals.

Improving the squad as a whole was a necessity… and the lack of CB back up is a killer to our CL hopes.

Just how many transfer windows have you witnessed if this was the wankest? We’ve had plenty worse.

People are trying to spin the idea that we literally did nothing positive......

Window opened...... Kane was sold... Levy did a dash with the cash... Window closed.

Maddison (starter)
VDV (starter)
Vicario (starter)
Johnson (assumed starter)
Solomon
Veliz
Phillips

Lloyd Kelly feels like he's going to join the Saido Berahino All Stars of names where true Spurs sickos start convulsing at his mere mention years later.

Damiao, Saha and Nelsen, Frazier Campbell. Dybala's image rights.

He'll play a fucking blinder against us when we meet again in the 2nd half of the season.:ange-blow:

Window opened...... Kane was sold... Levy did a dash with the cash... Window closed.

Maddison (starter)
VDV (starter)
Vicario (starter)
Solomon
Veliz
Phillips
Agreed. It was a good window. Not great but not terrible like people are trying to spin. 3 or 4 starters, a few good bench options and two talented young players for the future.

Maddison (starter)
VDV (starter)
Vicario (starter)
Solomon
Veliz
Phillips

Its a good window but we should have got another CB in but im guessing with no takers for sanchez and dier, levy didnt want to splash out.

Levy’s biggest mistake wasn’t this window, rather it was the previous 4-5 where he let these problems accumulate. Plain and simple mismanagement of the team. Now I think they truly want to offload but nobody is interested, and he’s afraid of coming across as desperate.
This is spot on. We were never going to fix all our ailments and properly replace Kane in one summer window. We’re in the position we’re in as a direct result of Levy neglecting the squad and trying to squeeze every last drop out of the magic Pochettino worked here.

We saw some progress under Paratici, but still a lot of work to be done.

I guess it is possible someone can be a mouthpiece while not being given insider information. Like I could tell some idiot to write some nice things about me but also not give him information on what deals I am making.

...And why would the 'journo' play that game?

No exclusives; no massage surely (if we're being that cynical; which it appears 'we' were.)

I don’t care about “marquee” signings. I care about effective additions. Maddison and VDV look to fit that bill and both Udogie and Sarr weren’t marquee but look like the real deal. He closest to marquee we’ve gotten recently is Tanguy and Richy.

Give me more of effective, right players than marquee any day.

"Marquee signings" is Jim White talk......

You can’t ban a player from the training ground.
They are paid to train & be available for selection. You have to give them those facilities so they are available for selection.
We may as well just pay them off then have to allow them through the doors, to use the clubs facilities and medics/physios etc.
If you “ban” them from the training ground, you’re dismissing them anyway.

If you can't register them then they can't be "available for selection".

What constitutes facilities won't be set in stone........ Where there is no due respect (Ndombele definitely); just have him train alone, take his breaks alone and make him do shit running drills and if he won't take a loan or sale in Jan, repeat.

........Fuck paying the cunt 20m only to allow him to go and 'earn' doubel-bubble and rinse the next man too.

How much of a cunt the other two are being? .... Let someone behind the scenes decide and treat them accordingly.

Last edited:
This has been a great window, but it's like winning a big bet after a lot of big losses. The big windfall just about keeps our head above water. Takes the shine off things a bit.

We've not progressed, so much as halted an alarming decline (still tbd).

Ange Postecoglou insists managers must take responsibility for who their club signs - with Brennan Johnson heading to Tottenham.

Spurs have agreed a £45million deal with Nottingham Forest to sign Johnson. The 22-year-old is just going through the final stages of the transfer and is expected to be unveiled as a Tottenham player on deadline day, giving Postecoglou more options in attack.

Postecoglou is believed to be a big fan of Johnson and will be delighted to add him to his squad. The Australian, who became Tottenham's manager earlier this summer, discussed his role in the club's transfer business at a press conference on Friday.

Postecoglou has highlighted the importance of a manager's philosophy, insisting they 'chart the way forward'. His predecessor Antonio Conte had a completely different opinion on transfers and often criticised Tottenham's hierarchy for failing to sign players.

Postecoglou, who was speaking ahead of his team's game against Burnley on Saturday, said: "I would never say, 'You know what, I didn’t sign this player'. Or, 'He’s not one of mine'. Once a player comes into the club, he’s mine. Club signings? I don’t know what that means. I would never approve a signing I thought wasn’t going to fit into the way we’re going to play.

"When you appoint a manager and you give him the responsibility of charting the way forward, you’ve got to give him players that will suit the way he wants to play. I think the evidence so far with the players we’ve brought in, is that they have all made an impact.

"The brief is there that they will fit into the system I want to play. There are the ones I really want, and the ones the scouting department put to me that I really want! There’s no differentiation mate. The scouting department should work hand in hand."

No one can say whether it was a good or bad window and any attempt to rate it is bullshit. In three years we'll know.

Meantime,

COYS

Come On You Spurs Son Heung Min GIF by Tottenham Hotspur

Back
Top Bottom