Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

View: https://x.com/lilywhite_rose/status/1775869418557304832?s=46&t=DK3x3JffKkqwqcsQdIeO_A

Link that doesn’t die…

Could be guesswork or Leicester needing money.

Don’t hate the player though. Not a ceiling raiser but could be affordable and be very good in our MF when we need him.

Leaves more budget for players elsewhere

Havent seen masses of championship football this season but Dewsbury Hall has looked one of the best from that division i've seen (along with Archie Gray and Crysencio Summerville). The latter maybe an outside shout as a decent left wing option.

This summer shows if winning is really what the club are about.
1. How many times have we said that?

2. One summer where they might do the business vs a zillion where they coulda/shoulda but didn't...think we already know what Levy's Spurs is truly about.

But yeah, fingers crossed.

Possibly, though 28 has always been considered as "prime" for a Footballer. His age only really becomes a concern when we're looking at selling on value.

I think we're beyond that now, or should be at any rate. The simple question is does he improve us? I think he will.

It all comes down to whether the return in the pitch is worth what we'd pay in transfer fee and wages, assuming he gets through the AP interview. I doubt he'll go for the purported £80-100M touted around, but for between £60-70M? That's when you seriously consider a player like him, as in will he play a big part in our title and domestic trophy challenges? Will he be a difference maker in our European campaigns?

If the answer is yes, then you have to start thinking that £60-70M is a worthwhile investment. Purely from a commercial point of view, if adding him propels us closer to the title, then our revenue & profits increase, much the same as with progression in the cups and Europe. One successful season alone could repay that outlay.

If we got 4 good seasons out of him, who cares if we don't sell him on for a decent fee, we'd have profited from those 4 years already.

I've been impressed with Toney, I think his all round game is as good as any striker in the Prem, and better than the majority. I feel it would translate well to our team, so if we were to pay similar money for him as we did for Richarlison, I'd be happy indeed.
You have to also factor in his wages to that (vs the wages of whatever alternative). He gets about £2m pa right now, and I'd assume would be in a position to treble that, given or take. I feel we need someone like him as well as the current players we have.

These are the players I - for various reasons - wouldn't mind selling/leaving. I know it's hard to sell this many players but it's still doable.

Alfie Whiteman
Brandon Austin (Contract ends 2024)

Ryan Sessegnon
Sergio Reguilon
Joe Rodon
Japhet Tanganga
Djed Spence

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg
Gio Lo Celso
Tungay Ndombele

Bryan Gil

MAYBES

Emerson Royal
Manor Solomon
Yaya Santiago
Troy Parrott
Of those, the one I'd keep is Emerson. And possibly PEH if he wants to say and continue his sub role.

Dunno. Would assume if we got Osimhen we had money in the budget for other players, otherwise our transfer strategy would mega suck.

But the idea you’d be bitterly disappointed if we bought one of the most high profile strikers in the world in his prime is very funny. Osimhen would be insanely good in the Ange setup, the way we play suits a rapid, direct striker perfectly.
Osimhen's attitude is (very) questionable. His injury record is pretty heavy too.

Whenever I think of him, it screams Chelsea's latest mega expensive No 9 flop.

Osimhen's attitude is (very) questionable. His injury record is pretty heavy too.

Whenever I think of him, it screams Chelsea's latest mega expensive No 9 flop.

He’d probably flop for Chelsea (bad environment) but I think if we got our hands on him he’d be great. Injuries aside.

Not saying we should go for him as wage+fee probably isn’t worth it for us. But damn if we did I’d struggle to suggest a player who is more suited to be an Ange striker.

Rapid, superb at getting in to good positions (26 xG last season!) and also decent technically, much better back to goal than Son despite it not being his strongest asset. He’d run teams ragged in this setup.

Nico Williams
Nico is exciting, for sure. Great dribbler, gets lots of assists. But also scores just once every 10 games...in a slower, much less physical league where defenders back off a lot. Also, how would he deal with life away from Bilbao? Wouldn't be the first Spaniard to come to the UK and struggle to adapt...

Xavi Simons
Kid bloody loves himself, but man he's so good. Can pretty much do it all. As with Nico, would need to be able to handle the physicality of the PL...but he's going back to PSG anyway.

Kvaratshkelia
Love him, what a gem Napoli unearthed for next to nothing. They've been shite this year, but his levels have dropped nowhere near as much as his mates. Put some muscle on him and dear Lord...

Cheapest of the lot, but would still be round the 50mil mark. Good player, but still a lot of room for improvement.

Rafa Leao

Leao is a shithead. And he's lazy. Fuck him. Let a cunt club like PSG or Chelsea have him.

Yeah, I hear ya. That Messi kid was lucky to survive his Pep years.

There was only about 400 minutes between those seasons by the way.

There's guys out there that excite me more, but I still think Eze would be a decent HG pick up, who would definitely bring something we don't have.
If we gonna spend 50-70 mil, HG or not, I'm expecting more than decent.

If we gonna spend 50-70 mil, HG or not, I'm expecting more than decent.

FFP might change that this summer but £50m is pretty standard for a decent player, £80-100m is where the Osimhen type players are. Only way your getting elite for £50m is if their contract is close to being up.

Add one or more quality HG players.
We must get another 2 or 3 Englishmen in that squad, it's a tad criminal where we're at right now. And I'm talking guys who play regularly, not kids who get 1.5 mins every 6 months or 3rd string goalies...or man hospital bed hybrid like Sess.

Striker (if we can sell Richarlison for a decent amount to saudis) with a technically better striker
Yeah thanks for the memories, Richy, but see ya.

Left winger (upgrade on Gil to be sold. , Solomon and on loan Werner) to add goals/assists from the left - majority currently come from Johnson/Kulusevski on the right.
We're defo signing Timo on a permanent and he'll defo be considered a starter/regular contributor next year...that's just what this club does.

Defensive CM - Bissouma seemed a bit better tonight, but otherwise other than first 7 games of season, he's been well below par. So needs to be upgraded and sold.
He spent yet another game walking and passing the ball sideways or 5yd away. And where was he on Zouma's goal? Ndombele/Winks/Skippy/Hoj would get murdered for such perfs. Get rid asap.

Is he definitely an upgrade on Biss?

How is he against the press?

Another name we should be looking at is Cheik Doucoure from Palace. Been out injured but was being linked with everyone for 70m+ before his injury.
Good player, but he doesn't really scream major Biss upgrade...or that No 6 that's gonna take us to the title. But he's still dead young and rather new to the PL. Besides, he plays under the Dychosaurus.

A few things about him:
- He starts a vast majority of games...but his avg min per game is 75
- Got 2 goals (both headers) but 0 assist...does create a few chances, though (4 to Bissouma's big fat 0)
- Doesn't see that much of the ball...about 50 touches per game (Biss gets 90). Yves is a much better passer too
- Kid is better at recovering the ball, much stronger and wins more duels, also makes fewer mistakes incl those leading to goals

Think there's better, more complete out there.

Interesting DM candidate. 202 cm tall with nimble feet. But, there must be a reason why Lyon loaned him out to Werder Bremen...
To me he seem to lack the necessary intensity/dynamism needed for a EPL player.

View: https://twitter.com/holdwidth/status/1774489507452326045?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1774489507452326045%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

I have a flat not far from Sochaux, as I'm often round those parts on business. I get invited to a fair few of their games and got to watch them a bit last season when they were in Ligue 2...since got relegated after nearly going bankrupt.

Obviously noticed him cause of his size and yeah he has pretty good feet for such a big man. Precious on set pieces too. But he clearly lacks the stomach and on more than one occasion his attitude was questionable. Been around their training complex a few times too, and yeah felt like a lad who's proper into his own hype.

Went to Lyon for cheap and they really didn't like him there. They know a thing or two about young talent so I trust their judgment to fuck him off after having a good look at him for a few months.

People went OTT on Toney's alleged attitude problems and I'd think he be a good fit but I don't want us to sign him purely because a ST isn't a priority, don't think Ange would have him anyway and Levy certainly isn't putting that kind of money down on a 28 year old.

Back
Top Bottom