Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Exactly

We need two or three or four wide (or wide and versatile who can play elsewhere too - Players like Eze, Brandt, Le Fee, etc etc) players who can do that IMO. Obviously they won't all be of similar quality, none may be "stars" but they should all be at least good.

Of that list I’m only really familiar with Eze and I think you and me were talking about him a good while ago. The injuries are a concern but he could even play 8 with Maddison in some games imo and also be just as useful on the LWF spot. But if we spend the 60m needed to get him, that’s always been the Spurs version of a star player…
The other thing about him is the character. Just seems a really good kid. Cut from the Sonny, Pape cloth.

Lol mate I do tend to agree with a lot you say but that Romero challenge was a red,

he already started to get mad a couple minutes prior with Colvill. he literally did a terrible pass seconds before, then he just went in on Enzo he tried to be smart with it by getting the ball but he knew he was going in way to hard.

I’ll be honest he's one of my favourites aswell but that was definitely a red.
I don’t even think it was a foul. It was a clearance.

Maybe smart isn't the right word. But he went in.
The way his foot rotated externally after kicking a ball is unnatural, it's clear as day he wanted to following through.

I don't think Enzo being a international teammate is relevant when it comes to Romero, he is a committed player, a reason why most fans love him, me included.

Romero has been done unfairly by his "reputation" on numerous occasions but for me personally this isn't one of them.

Also remember playing at this speed is natural to these guys it's why they're playing at the highest level. it's not like he's big Dave from the dog and duck and been drafted in on Sunday morning, because Maldini's reincarnate is throwing up after being on the lash.
He turns his foot to not injure him. If he wanted to hurt him bad he could there. It happens so quick and he does just enough to not hurt him. I will argue this forever because I don’t think it’s a foul in anyway whatsoever and that is what derailed our season at that point.

He turns his foot to not injure him. If he wanted to hurt him bad he could there. It happens so quick and he does just enough to not hurt him. I will argue this forever because I don’t think it’s a foul in anyway whatsoever and that is what derailed our season at that point.
I just can't see you guys point of view mate. It just looks clear to me that he wants to leave something on him.

I thought it at the time and I still think it now.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing as I would be so happy with Caicedo's goal standing now and no VAR interference as it wouldn't have fucked our season.

Of that list I’m only really familiar with Eze and I think you and me were talking about him a good while ago. The injuries are a concern but he could even play 8 with Maddison in some games imo and also be just as useful on the LWF spot. But if we spend the 60m needed to get him, that’s always been the Spurs version of a star player…
The other thing about him is the character. Just seems a really good kid. Cut from the Sonny, Pape cloth.

Also bus-conductor bus-conductor :

Eze's time at LW is barely worth speaking of.........

13 apps out of 117 apps (all comps) in 4 years / 0 Gs / 2 Asst.

Doesn't mean he couldn't play there. Clearly has the dribbling and creative ability.

Sure he might, but it's legit food for thought for those that assume he can based on a semi-fictitious past record.

Same as the routine claim that he can play #8/CM/LCM when the fact is whatever tag you put on him position-wise; he'll have been the MF with the least defensive responsibility of a 3 under Hodgson.

If we're gonna spend 60m-ish on him; it best be with AM primarily in mind because - just as Blakey concedes (when it's not detrimental his argument of the time); "he's not very good off the ball".

Last edited:
Tried to be smart with getting the ball? Lol

In your opinion is it possible to play the game at that speed, whilst making decisions in a fraction of a second, to then decide to clear the ball and follow through into my international teammates shin to hurt him?

Because if so, your opinion is completely nuts and nothing like what is possible
That was a weird take, yes.

But that was still a red. Sure, we've seen equally poor tackles go unpunished since and that's frustrating, but all that matters is that Cuti seems to have learned his lesson. He had to stop missing games through (avoidable) suspensions, that's what you expect from your vice captain.

That was a weird take, yes.

But that was still a red. Sure, we've seen equally poor tackles go unpunished since and that's frustrating, but all that matters is that Cuti seems to have learned his lesson. He had to stop missing games through (avoidable) suspensions, that's what you expect from your vice captain.

Wasn't a tackle.

The point is not that he's learned his lesson since. It's that he's actually been almost perfect all season for discipline.

View: https://youtu.be/Kk5yafkB2NE?si=iFy6abkyJNnxSWqr

Kid we've been linked with before, Armand Laurienté, scored a decent goal for Sassuolo tonight. Had another couple chances. But he's guilty on Salernitana's last second equalizer, though pretty unlucky one's gotta say...the lad comes back to defend, slides in, ball goes the wrong way and bang.

He was great last season (13 goal involvement in 28 games), not as productive this year (6 GIs in 31 g) but Sassulo have been much poorer as a side so it doesn't help.

My Italian pals are telling me Napoli are dead keen on him, especially as he'd be cheap(er) seen how Sassuolo are heading for Serie B and will need big wages off their books. But but but...he plays LW, same as a certain Kvaratshkelia...see what happens.

Will defo be at a bigger club soon anyway, kid's got bags of talent...good pace, great dribbler, never afraid of taking men on, can hit a sweet free kick. Plenty to work on too, but under the right manager, he's defo got star potential.

Personally, I'd have him over Werner/Solomon/Gil any day. That being said, of course I'd rather we sign Kvara, who's already elite.

Also bus-conductor bus-conductor :

Eze's time at LW is barely worth speaking of.........

13 apps out of 117 apps (all comps) in 4 years / 0 Gs / 2 Asst.

"We have liked him for a long time," Southgate told a press conference. "He has finished the season really strongly and plays in a couple of positions across the attacking line and has a burst of speed to go past people and take people out of the game with his dribbling skills."

Different ,managers see players in different ways - as a good example, Martin Jol finding Dembele having been bought as a striker by Fulham but Jol decided he was better playing as a midfielder .... which is what Spurs fans remember him as.

Or Vertonghen playing as a CM at Ajax, but Jol turned him into a CB ...... a great move for both Vertonghen and Jol.

Or Eze being released from Woolwich and Fulham before being taken on by ex Spur Chris Ramsey at QPR and taken to a different level initially playing as a left winger before becoming a no 10 which included playing more deeply as a cm. But at Palace he's more of an attacking CM.

I'm very much in the camp of trying to avoid pigeon holing players into a single position - lets see if he joins Spurs where he is played by Ange. It maybe, for example he is played in the cm3 but might be moved to LW if we are short as a forward. But I leave that decision to the manager.

"We have liked him for a long time," Southgate told a press conference. "He has finished the season really strongly and plays in a couple of positions across the attacking line and has a burst of speed to go past people and take people out of the game with his dribbling skills."

Different ,managers see players in different ways - as a good example, Martin Jol finding Dembele having been bought as a striker by Fulham but Jol decided he was better playing as a midfielder .... which is what Spurs fans remember him as.

Or Vertonghen playing as a CM at Ajax, but Jol turned him into a CB ...... a great move for both Vertonghen and Jol.

Or Eze being released from Woolwich and Fulham before being taken on by ex Spur Chris Ramsey at QPR and taken to a different level initially playing as a left winger before becoming a no 10 which included playing more deeply as a cm. But at Palace he's more of an attacking CM.

I'm very much in the camp of trying to avoid pigeon holing players into a single position - lets see if he joins Spurs where he is played by Ange. It maybe, for example he is played in the cm3 but might be moved to LW if we are short as a forward. But I leave that decision to the manager.
Yeah it’s a good point. Also, it’s not just positions, it’s the system and style of play - Eze has played in poor Palace teams that play without the ball, the opposite of us so I don’t think it’s worth saying he’s played as a 10 at Palace etc and comparing.

I just think he’s a good player that’s super comfortable on the ball and will do well - I don’t know exactly which position but stylistically he has the tools to shine somewhere

Isak must be on our list. Will be expensive but seems like they have to sell. Seems to have a better injury record this season, played in 25 (22 starts) PL, 15 goals. Reckon he would shine in our system and correct age

Isak must be on our list. Will be expensive but seems like they have to sell. Seems to have a better injury record this season, played in 25 (22 starts) PL, 15 goals. Reckon he would shine in our system and correct age
He's quality. I really like that Sheringham, Berbatov style of forward. I was all for buying 2 wingers and not bothering with a CF this summer but with Williams difficult to get, Neto's latest injury, Kvara probably circa £90m i'd bust the bank for Isak and maybe someone like Olise on the right. If that means Son/Richarlison/Werner or Solomon for the left sided spot then so be it

He's quality. I really like that Sheringham, Berbatov style of forward. I was all for buying 2 wingers and not bothering with a CF this summer but with Williams difficult to get, Neto's latest injury, Kvara probably circa £90m i'd bust the bank for Isak and maybe someone like Olise on the right. If that means Son/Richarlison/Werner or Solomon for the left sided spot then so be it
I wouldn’t say Isak is similar to Berba / Sheri? Seems more of a direct runner, almost like a younger Son

Good player, seems to be more than a pure target man with enough technical ability to make a difference on wing or deep as well, which I like plus he has speed. And age 24 so could be at Spurs for some years, yet PL experienced and has played on continent. Ticks lots of boxes..

Injury downtime might be a concern but at Newcastle he's play 59 times this season and last with 29 goals scored - so 1 in 2 games.

Need to explore the injury side a little more I guess - sems to have been out for a month twice this season with a groin injury and out for two and a half months last season with a groin injury - but that's also where depth of squad becomes vital, and if we had both Son and Isak as strikers next season, the potential injury issue might almost go away ?

Certainly a good potential candidate and if Newcastle need to sell, all the better !

Thanks for reminding us of the player

Back
Top Bottom