The Curious Case of Dele Alli

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The article questions rather than answers.
The goal against Southampton, the execution is on par with Kanes ability which clearly demonstrates Allis talent .
The aggression Alli shows is in part frustration , part trying too hard. A little petulance is clear although the aggression must never be removed just tamed.
Most times, Alli is not playing with instinct-he's thinking too much and trying to force his game.
He is a young man, at he top of his career (at he moment) and must have a million thoughts going through his mind. He needs to clear his head, work hard and play and enjoy football. Act on impulse, play the ball he feels is right for that moment not over think it and then the moment is gone.

I feel this season, he is a marked man and his reputation has gone before him. Where Alli can self destruct on occasion, other professionals I feel are envious of him, jealousy is clear and many would want to slap him down a peg. As he matures he will become a quality player, he just needs to believe this and keep working hard and not let other get him down .

He is at a great club to allow him to blossom and a great coach who will nurture him.

What are the quality controls on getting articles published on here? Seriously, a lot of Gibbsy posts are more informative.
Dele is a marked man, like all star-players, once their talent and style are noticed, managers implement strategies to limit their effectiveness. With Dele it seems to be to kick him and wind him up. The greats, like Bale and Kane, adapt and go to the next level. Dele will do this to, he will find consistency and go on to be one of the finest players in the world. He is 21, we should just enjoy him while we can

The article questions rather than answers.
The goal against Southampton, the execution is on par with Kanes ability which clearly demonstrates Allis talent .
The aggression Alli shows is in part frustration , part trying too hard. A little petulance is clear although the aggression must never be removed just tamed.
Most times, Alli is not playing with instinct-he's thinking too much and trying to force his game.
He is a young man, at he top of his career (at he moment) and must have a million thoughts going through his mind. He needs to clear his head, work hard and play and enjoy football. Act on impulse, play the ball he feels is right for that moment not over think it and then the moment is gone.

I feel this season, he is a marked man and his reputation has gone before him. Where Alli can self destruct on occasion, other professionals I feel are envious of him, jealousy is clear and many would want to slap him down a peg. As he matures he will become a quality player, he just needs to believe this and keep working hard and not let other get him down .

He is at a great club to allow him to blossom and a great coach who will nurture him.

The goal against Southampton showed the club do their homework and know Forster goes down like a sack of spuds - a top keeper saves that everyday of the week. It was similar to one his goals against them last season. His ball striking ability is nowhere near Kane's. His strengths are: instinct, spatial awareness, vision, athleticism and a nice dose of aggression. He's got a trick or two but sometimes overdoes it on that front. He plays best when he keeps things simple.

I agree with Sammyspurs that he has not been at his best this season and that at times he has been absolved of blame and justifiable criticism but......

He is a fantastic talent who is very versatile and if he wants to stay at our club then he will one day be our captain.

Much depends maybe on Pochettino.

The goal against Southampton showed the club do their homework and know Forster goes down like a sack of spuds - a top keeper saves that everyday of the week. It was similar to one his goals against them last season. His ball striking ability is nowhere near Kane's.
You can generalise with any player using the same argument.

Disagree totally. There are many goals that Kane gets that I feel the same, the keeper should save it-thats football. Allis goal was quality-simple. There is always an element of luck as well as judgment. Alli has the judgment compared with any other top player. His errors are brought to for front before his brilliance.

You can generalise with any player using the same argument.

Disagree totally. There are many goals that Kane gets that I feel the same, the keeper should save it-thats football. Allis goal was quality-simple. There is always an element of luck as well as judgment. Alli has the judgment compared with any other top player. His errors are brought to for front before his brilliance.

I'm not arguing Dele isn't a very talented player, I'm a huge fan of his, but his shooting isn't anywhere in the same league as Kane's. He cannot hit the ball low and hard with either foot like Kane can. It's often past the keeper before he's had a chance to move. If Dele goes for power the results can be erratic. As I said, the goal came from homework, Forster struggles to get down, particularly to his left, and isn't a PL keeper. Go on a Southampton forum and they'll tell you the same thing.

As Oxlade-Chamberlaine said: "We were practising shots [on England duty] from outside the area and he couldn’t hit a barn door, so I asked him, ‘how do you score so many goals?’ And he just said ‘You’ve got to be in the right place at the right time.'"

I'm not arguing Dele isn't a very talented player, I'm a huge fan of his, but his shooting isn't anywhere in the same league as Kane's. He cannot hit the ball low and hard with either foot like Kane can. It's often past the keeper before he's had a chance to move. If Dele goes for power the results can be erratic. As I said, the goal came from homework, Forster struggles to get down, particularly to his left, and isn't a PL keeper. Go on a Southampton forum and they'll tell you the same thing.

As Oxlade-Chamberlaine said: "We were practising shots [on England duty] from outside the area and he couldn’t hit a barn door, so I asked him, ‘how do you score so many goals?’ And he just said ‘You’ve got to be in the right place at the right time.'"
They are different players, playing different games.
Yes, kane has a far bigger range of shots and has developed his game according to his strengths. Alli needs to do the same, using the shooting ability he has.which for me, when he gets it right, he is on par with Kane-thats how high I rate him. My biggest fear for Alli is that, he does not make the move up to the next level because he allows the distraction to hold him back. Its possible a lot has came too soon with being an England regular. What does he aspire to?

think the gossip is they get him for free them transfer him in the summer

someone will buy him, these managers have big ego's they all think they are the guy to get Dele back to his old self, But only Dele can do that, yes he needs help but that is mental help not football help

its sad to see him fall so far, but he has not been the same since coming back from the world Cup 2018, after that WC many of our players were not the same, Dier is still not as good as he was, Dele has fallen off the cliff

think the gossip is they get him for free them transfer him in the summer

someone will buy him, these managers have big ego's they all think they are the guy to get Dele back to his old self, But only Dele can do that, yes he needs help but that is mental help not football help

its sad to see him fall so far, but he has not been the same since coming back from the world Cup 2018, after that WC many of our players were not the same, Dier is still not as good as he was, Dele has fallen off the cliff
Why do you think he needs mental help? He’s a millionaire in his early 20s who is clearly enjoying his life, he just doesn’t like playing football anymore.

He’ll decide if he wants to change his attitude, modern football is full of lads like him, it’s nothing to do with mental health.

I'd be amazed if there isn't a fee due to us if they sell in the summer. Did well to dump the contract though 18 months too late.

Why do you think he needs mental help? He’s a millionaire in his early 20s who is clearly enjoying his life, he just doesn’t like playing football anymore.

He’ll decide if he wants to change his attitude, modern football is full of lads like him, it’s nothing to do with mental health.
I'm not saying feel sorry for him, the mental issue may not be a heatlh issue, its about "do you want to be a footballer again ? " if yes you need help

i have to always go back to my car to check I've put the handbrake on, its not a heatlh issue its a mental issue, I know there is a difference

He still thinks he's "Bobby Big Balls" apparently he's been giving it the "in London we do this" to all his new team mates who, rightly, have decided he's a complete dick. So much for a new start, seems that no amount of money can cure stupidity.

Maybe, just maybe he will learn from this. When Everton almost certainly dump him come the summer he will get yet another chance to start again, but can he? or does he even care?

What do you think mental help means?

It's not only about fixing broken minds.
It can be about helping someone find the right mind set to get back to their best life again.
Being mugged off by thousands of people and potentially having a huge income cut off in your mid 20's probably isn't him living his best life.

What do you think mental help means?

It's not only about fixing broken minds.
It can be about helping someone find the right mind set to get back to their best life again.
Being mugged off by thousands of people and potentially having a huge income cut off in your mid 20's probably isn't him living his best life.
Forgive me but I’ll save my pity for more deserving causes thanks

Back
Top Bottom