The Non League Football Thread ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Blimey!!

Billionaire twins invest in ninth-tier football club​

Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss will become co-owners of the club
Danny Fullbrook - BBC News, Bedfordshire

Published 12 April 2024, 20:29
A non-league football club has received an injection of $4.5m (about £3.6m) from a pair of cryptocurrency investors.
Real Bedford FC (RBFC) received the Bitcoin investment from Winklevoss Capital, an investment firm owned by Gemini founders Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss.

Podcaster Peter McCormack bought the side, currently in the ninth tier of English football, in 2021 with the goal of turning it into a Premier League club.

Following the investment the twins will assume the role of co-owners of the club alongside the cryptocurrency podcaster.

View: https://twitter.com/waltonhershamfc/status/1777428807600767129

I know there's one or two here with a passing interest in W&H, this seems like a baffling decision..

Seems very weird. Playing good football, well ahead of the 5 year plan and increased the attendance by 700%.
No football club would be against all that, especially in non league. 🤷🏻‍♂️

View: https://twitter.com/Harris__Scott21/status/1777425369328500968?t=4P2BmhQQrLmomEdaZV6e4Q&s=19

Football is a ruthless business. Cruel even

But the decision I’ve seen tonight might be the harshest I’ve ever seen

Scott Harris led Walton & Hersham to 3 back to back promotions

First season at Step 3 they are just 5 points off the playoffs

@Harris__Scott21 deserved better

As per their own statement, they had a 5 year plan to get to Step 3. This is year 4 of that plan, so they’re ahead of schedule

Also as per their statement he increased gate numbers by 700% - so not a financial decision either

The club are owned by a consortium of 24 year olds

Whilst they have clearly done some brilliant work, they have perhaps shown a bit of naivety here
🤷‍♂️

View: https://twitter.com/tomhwilliams23/status/1777439609816744096?t=1HXpx-LSOLoiZL4Q4NHY-A&s=19

Walton & Hersham is a current local team to me. I’ve watched them a bit in recent years, saw them rise up the leagues going from crowds of under 100 to breaking into the 1-2k at times now. Whilst the manager leaving is a shock, one thing I would say is that the young ownership group, who are all from the area, have done an immense job promoting and growing the club among all ages. Playing in their fourth different division in a row after 3 consecutive promotions but just falling short in Step 3 in terms of the playoffs. I expect they have plans… but if this is a knee jerk decision then it’s a crazy one.

Walton & Hersham is a current local team to me. I’ve watched them a bit in recent years, saw them rise up the leagues going from crowds of under 100 to breaking into the 1-2k at times now. Whilst the manager leaving is a shock, one thing I would say is that the young ownership group, who are all from the area, have done an immense job promoting and growing the club among all ages. Playing in their fourth different division in a row after 3 consecutive promotions but just falling short in Step 3 in terms of the playoffs. I expect they have plans… but if this is a knee jerk decision then it’s a crazy one.
Which league clubs are nearby to this one?

Nobody that near but closest is probably AFC Wimbledon. And then it’s close time wise to get to Fulham, Brentford or the Chavs.
think they used to be in step 3 years ago, one of my mates played for them and they were a half decent standard. Could probably get away down the M3 to 25M away to Reading or Aldershot, quicker than up to Chelsea!

National League is wild. Hartlepool is 3 spots up on D&R after the same number of games, but 19 goals down on goal differential.
Here in dear old Blighty, where Association Football was invented, we call it 'goal difference', never goal 'differential'. We tend to use 'differential' when talking about cars (automobiles).

Here in dear old Blighty, where Association Football was invented, we call it 'goal difference', never goal 'differential'. We tend to use 'differential' when talking about cars (automobiles).
dbd2ae34-9668-4757-88b2-77cd94dd1c28_text.gif

Good to see The Generals feature in this thread, I've been a couple of times this season.
Ahh - I'm a season ticket holder at both Spurs and Chesham - sucker for punishment!

I say that, a season ticket at Chesham United is pretty damn good value, to put that in perspective, since 2021/22 season Chesham have lost just 4 league games at home, that's tiny 4 losses in 62 matches.

Ahh - I'm a season ticket holder at both Spurs and Chesham - sucker for punishment!

I say that, a season ticket at Chesham United is pretty damn good value, to put that in perspective, since 2021/22 season Chesham have lost just 4 league games at home, that's tiny 4 losses in 62 matches.
5 after today - my old side Bracknell dicked them (and my mate scored the winner)!

5 after today - my old side Bracknell dicked them (and my mate scored the winner)!
Well, this is true, though I would add their keeper made 2 excellent saves on the early part of the game.

Frankly it didn't spoil the day for me, Chesham being a conference team has taken 31 years of toil and I feel fairly magnanimous as a result!

I think without home advantage Bracknell are unlikely to be the winners in the play offs, Salisbury and Gosport seem to be the strongest contenders but Bracknell are still a very decent outfit, the only team to do the double over Chesham and at some point in time, with that in mind, I'd like revenge!

Back
Top Bottom