The run in....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

LCFC are Owned by Thai billionaire "Business man" and are supposed already the biggest supported club in Thailand.....so sadly this is not the modern Clough dream. The LCFC story is another round of Chavs/Arabs, but of course Far East money. Like the Bournemouth myth ( owned by a hugely wealthy Russian ) this is nothing to do with a plucky little team beating the big boys. This is a club with major financial muscle mixing it with equally rich clubs.

I would hardly call it financial muscle comparing the amount they had spent to the likes of Man City, Chavs, or Woolwich. Mahrez secured at 400k, Vardy for £1m, Kante for £5.6m. Let this sink in for a minute 1 Raheem Sterling or 1 Kevin De Bruyne = entire LCFC squad..

Hmmm thats guess work at best. We rested the most players before Newcastle at home and we lost....
Our midfield was completely overrun in the 2nd half. Carrol most obviously (who'd played 90 v Monaco on the Thurs), and Dier, who'd had a knock in the same game. Lamela played most of that one too.

There's no guess work re poor results after EL. Don't just look at our results, there's a site that's collated 27,000 matches where one team has the full week to recover and prepare. Well reported on another board. Imo we've lost at least 5 pts (Chavs 0-0; Barcodes 1-2), maybe 7 (Swans 2-2, they were in the middle of an atrocious run).

I still think we can do it. LCFC could well have a horrible run in, losing pts in their games. Let's keep on giving it all so we can take advantage. But every Thursday night I wish Poch would temporarily morph into old Saggy Chops and just play the likes of GDS.

There's no guess work re poor results after EL. Don't just look at our results, there's a site that's collated 27,000 matches where one team has the full week to recover and prepare. Well reported on another board. Imo we've lost at least 5 pts (Chavs 0-0; Barcodes 1-2), maybe 7 (Swans 2-2, they were in the middle of an atrocious run).

I still think we can do it. LCFC could well have a horrible run in, losing pts in their games. Let's keep on giving it all so we can take advantage. But every Thursday night I wish Poch would temporarily morph into old Saggy Chops and just play the likes of GDS.

That person had far too much time on their hands. We dominated away at the Emirates after a european game by the way. Probably deserved to win those Chelsea and Swansea games on the balance of play too. I just don't believe there is a connection thats all I'm saying, take each game on its own not link it to the one before.

Plus, no point winning the league games to get into Europe if we're just gonna throw it to finish higher in the league....vicious cycle that.

The problem this season is that we did not play at this level from match 1 as Leicester did and were always playing catch up. We did not win any of our first 4 matches. I do not get that without Europa matches it will be easier next season because there are weaker teams in the Europa that we can play some fringe players as we found against Dortmund, if we do it against better teams we get beat. This is the leading positions on 14th December after the Newcastle defeat and nobody was talking about the title then.
shim.gif
(3) Leicester City 16 10 5 1 34 22 12 35
shim.gif
(1) Woolwich 16 10 3 3 29 13 16 33
shim.gif
(2) Manchester City 16 10 2 4 32 17 15 32
shim.gif
(4) Manchester United 16 8 5 3 21 12 9 29
shim.gif
(5) Tottenham Hotspur 16 6 8 2 26 14 12 26
We have pulled back 2 points on Leicester and overtaken the others.
Next season we need to start the season stronger and maintain it for the whole season but we do need to have more players of the standard of the first teamers to compete in the CL and qualify again.

I will be looking back at the Stoke and Woolwich game where we lost 4 points from a very favourable position. If we had that, we will just be 3 points behind.

Need to get 16-18 points from our remaining fixtures to have a shot. That is a tall task indeed. Need Leicester to drop all 3 points against at least 2 of the Spammers, Chavs, and Manure, the other can be a draw. Likely...probably not, but I will keep the faith, until there is no chance left.

I am also trying to not let the season slip by without taking time to appreciate what a great squad this is to watch. So many great stories and performances throughout.

There's no sense in looking back and dwelling on points lost, past results can't be changed and we are where we are. My concern is whether the players still believe that they can win the league after the draw at Anfield. Whilst it remains mathematically possible to overhaul Leicester, I'll keep the faith, but from the look on the faces of many of the team at the final whistle I'm concerned that they've lost belief. If the team's performance dips by 5-10% for the remainder of the season, rather than catching Leicester we'll be battling with Woolwich for 2nd/3rd place.

Does anyone really think we can beat United or Chelsea? Or even Stoke.

We've been solid, and hard to beat, not overwhelming the opposition.

I don't think we are favourites by any means to win against United or Chelsea, and we haven't done so for a lifetime anyway.

We have failed all our tests so far. Newcastle, which wasn't even a test, Leicester, West Ham, Woolwich, Liverpool.

No one wins the title on draws. Nothing in the Liverpool match suggested we could beat them or United or Chelsea.

For all the stakes and talk and strength and youth and etc. we have not upped our game and have not looked close to title winners. We just haven't beaten enough teams, especially the better ones, to justify it.

Of course, if Leicester collapse, which seems impossible, and we win the remaining six, then of course we deserve it, as we would have had to do something to up our game. The current performances are nowhere near good enough to win the League.

I don't even know why there'd be pressure on the lads, they're not leading. They have to catch up, so they have to play out of their skins, and they haven't. All well and good to roll over Villa and Bournemouth, which by the way, wasn't convincing considering how easy everyone takes Villa apart.

We'd have to see a remarkable, unbelievable turnaround for United but I don't think they are up for it.
Best defence, best attack , and you crumble when you think losing to inferior sides makes us weak !
Not sure if are a troll or another melt who expects us to wipe the floor with everybody, just cause we draw, maybe look at who we drew with ?

I'd just like to add, the numbers thrown around for our results against the top 12 does include most (?) of our first few games of the season where we got some disappointing results as the squad was still gelling (think Alli finding his feet in the Premier League, etc).

Not saying that's a great excuse: but it is another reason to be cheerful, and it is indicative of how good we've been since then to get where we are.

Let's not stew over points lost at this critical time for our club. We will have months to fill up pages on this forum with what ifs once the season is officially done. For now let's just believe, and do what we should do all the time, and support the club. It's really not that hard. Crazy how shitty we can all get when we have so much to be excited about.

If we get champions league I'll be delighted - the title would be amazing but imagine a summer of football knowing next season will be as good or better and we'll have big European games

If we get champions league I'll be delighted - the title would be amazing but imagine a summer of football knowing next season will be as good or better and we'll have big European games

That Sir, is the attitude!
I remember the feeling of pure satisfaction going into the World Cup in 2010, knowing that the biggest stage of European football awaited Spurs the following season... then the WC happened, and England fucking ruined everything!!!
Still, this season, we have far exceeded my own personal expectation... I dunno about anyone else's??

At Christmas, NO ONE was talking about the Title... we've had a phenomenal season, let's not forget that... and even if it ended tomorrow, 2nd place, even 3rd would be beyond even the most optimistic fan's realistic dreams at the start of the season.

NOBODY expected us to be fighting for anything more than 4th/CL Qualification... the fact we may well surpass that would be incredible!!
The title is just plain greedy! (as unbelievable as it would be!)

As soon as I genuinely started believing we had a shot at the title we lose to West Ham and failed to beat a 10 man Woolwich. That's it for our title race IMO, 7 points is a lot to make up. I'm not going to sit and wait for Leicester's "luck" to run out every week. Just going to focus on Spurs and enjoy the good footy we've been playing.

At Christmas, NO ONE was talking about the Title... we've had a phenomenal season, let's not forget that... and even if it ended tomorrow, 2nd place, even 3rd would be beyond even the most optimistic fan's realistic dreams at the start of the season.

NOBODY expected us to be fighting for anything more than 4th/CL Qualification... the fact we may well surpass that would be incredible!!
The title is just plain greedy! (as unbelievable as it would be!)
This! It was only Christmas/New Years that we pulled up the table and thought: 'fuck me, fourth is looking possible!'

Cast your mind back, and I doubt anyone was fancying us to finish above Woolwich either at the time.

We have to remember that the positive side of our recent disappointment is that we're actually disappointed to not be catching the league leaders.

As soon as I genuinely started believing we had a shot at the title we lose to West Ham and failed to beat a 10 man Woolwich. That's it for our title race IMO, 7 points is a lot to make up. I'm not going to sit and wait for Leicester's "luck" to run out every week. Just going to focus on Spurs and enjoy the good footy we've been playing.

SO IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT??? DAMN YOU, TRUE BELIEVER!!

Thing is, how can we cite genuine belief as the catalyst for our mini-stumble... Leicester have been selling 'Champions 2016 Scarves' for the past 2 home games apparently, and their luck or tedious winning streak hasn't seemed to taken a dip because of it (...or has it? Mwooh-hahahaha-haaa-haa!) Maybe we should be selling Champions 2016 Scarves... show a bit of belief eh?

Back
Top Bottom