The Squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many players will we sell from the below list in the summer?

• 1-2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-5

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • 6-9

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • 10-13

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • 14+

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

eanN17

Supporter
The season is nearing it's end and once again we find ourselves with a squad filled with players we don't really want. Which are the players that will be kept with us next season of the current squad?

Before you vote, look at the list of player and count together. You might be surprised at the number you will come up with...

Keep or sell? I ended up saying that we should sell 11 players of the List below!

GK: 3
  • Lloris - He might be our best player, a fantastic GK and I think he won't move in the summer. Keep.
  • Vorm - He's a capable second GK and seems prepared to be a second choice. Good number two, but not good enough to be a number one. Until McGee is old/goood enough, we'll keep him. Keep.
  • Friedel - I think he won't take up a place in the squad next summer and will move into an Ambassador role thus still staying at the club. Sell.
Defenders: 10
  • Walker - He has had a terrible time before his recent injury. We know what he can do and hopefully he'll be back at his best. Keep.
  • Yedlin - just arrived. Hopefully he can live up to some of his hype. Keep.
  • Fredericks - has done well at Boro. Will fight it out vs Yedlin in the summer to be cover. Keep.
  • Fazio - came in the summer. As long as he will be given chances I want to see how he develops in his second summer. Keep.
  • Vertonghen - a better season than last season, way off his first season with Spurs. Keep.
  • Dier - has shown signs of becoming a good player. Under 21. Keep.
  • Rose - very improved player this season. Need to work on defensive positioning. Keep.
  • Davies - I hope he can keep pushing Rose next season and be ready in case of an injury. Keep.
  • Chiriches - I don't think he will be content of sitting on the bench too much. I feel we can't rely on him, clearly a good player in there, but decision making suspect. Sell.
  • Kaboul - obviously our former captain will be moved on if possible. Sell.

Midfielders: 16
  • Bentaleb - at times this season he has been great. Very bright future, but he needs some help. Under 21 next season too. Keep.
  • Mason - not confident Mason should be a starter every game, but he needs to be given time too, as this was his first season. Keep.
  • Eriksen - he needs time to build his game. At times excellent, at times not so. Inconsistent, but potentially very good. Keep.
  • Dembele - there is a player in there, can we get him to work right? Not sure about him either unfortunately, but deserves a chance next season. Keep.
  • Townsend - I really don't know about Townsend, but he is willing to work hard to get better. I'd say he needs to stay. Keep.
  • Lamela - whether he will make it here, I really don't know. As long as he keep working hard to improve his game, I want him to get another shot at it next season. Keep.
  • Vejlkovic - a very promising young lad, unfortunate to get an injury this season during his loan spell. Under 21. Keep.
  • Chadli - Form has gone cold, I think he need to be put on the bench now, but his early season's form suggested he is a good player and that we will get good games from him. Keep.
  • Alli - this one is obvious! Under 21. Keep.
  • Pritchard - exciting player having a good season at Brentford. Will be great to see what he can do at a higher level. Keep.
  • Carroll - He has done quite well at Swansea, but I think we may end up looking for a fee for him. I think I'd like to sell Stambouli instead of young Tom and give him a few chances next season. Keep.
  • Stambouli - I think we can do better, but I can understand if we decide to give him another season. However, I would move him on if we can get some money. Sell.
  • Paulinho - one of most frustrating players. Could do well in another league. Maybe Italy? Send him far away, not on loan, permanent deal please! Sell.
  • Holtby - reckoned as sold by most Spurs fans already. Like with Lennon, I don't think there is a way back. Sell.
  • Lennon - I hope that Poch can work out whatever went wrong between them, because he is a good player with a good workrate. Seems a foregone conclusion that he will be sold though. Wouldn't be my decision. Sell.
  • Capoue - pointed out as a player that sided with Kaboul. No future at Spurs. Also, red hair! Sell.
  • Ceballos - I actually forgot about him when I made this List, will be on his way back to Spain. Sell.
Strikers: 3
  • Kane - words are wasted here. 29 goals. Keep.
  • Soldado - we are all sorry that it didn't work out, but we need to move him on. Sell.
  • Adebayor - if there is a taker, find him and send him packing. He can still be a very good player with the right motivation, can't see it working for Spurs again. Sell.
That would leave these players for next season for the Squad of 25:
Squad of 25: (17)
Lloris, Vorm, Walker, Yedlin, Fredericks, Fazio, Vertonghen, Rose, Davies, Mason, Carroll, Dembele, Townsend, Lamela, Chadli, Pritchard, Kane. U21s: (4) Dier, Bentaleb, Alli, Vejlkovic ++

Sell: (11) Friedel, Chiriches, Kaboul, Paulinho, Lennon, Holtby, Stambouli, Capoue, Adebayor, Ceballos, Soldado.

Last edited:
While I agree with you in terms of who goes Levy will want to hold out for maximum price and I wonder if we will end up only selling around 5-6 and see a few deals fall through as he tries to get unrealistic prices for the deadwood.

While I agree with you in terms of who goes Levy will want to hold out for maximum price and I wonder if we will end up only selling around 5-6 and see a few deals fall through as he tries to get unrealistic prices for the deadwood.

I'm afraid we could end up in that situation, but some will want to get out no matter what, as they are simply not playing. Thus, we could end up selling some players that we don't really want to sell instead.

Lets just play all the players we'd like to sell (or havent been playing a lot) from now on and see who excels - give the rest a long holiday
A starting XI of

Vorm
Vlad - Kaboul - Capoue - Davies
Paulinho - Stambouli
Dembele
Lamela - Soldado - Townsend

Alot of the squad would be filled up by youth players remember Onomah, Winks, Carter-Vickers and Kyle Walker Peters could be looking to make the step up so moving out the deadwood could give a few other a chance at least in the cups.

Last edited:
Nice thread: This should prompt some great discourse!

Agreed I posted pretty much the same thing in the transfer thread but the deadwood is probably a good thread on it's own. What is your view on the prices we should get for the sales, eanN17 eanN17 you as well.

Agreed I posted pretty much the same thing in the transfer thread but the deadwood is probably a good thread on it's own. What is your view on the prices we should get for the sales, eanN17 eanN17 you as well.

Paulinho 10 MILL

Lennon 6 MILL

Capoue 5 MILL

Chiriches 6 MILL

Kaboul 3 MILL

Townsend 10 MILL

TOTAL 40 MILL

Perhaps another 10 mil for Bobby as well.
I reckon we will keep him!
Levy has too much invested in him and who knows he may come good in scoring.
He has been good value in general field play!

(I am saying 10 Hail Mary's as I type this)

Alot of the squad would be filled up by youth players remember so Onomah, Winks, Carter-Vickers and Kyle Walker Peters could be looking to make the step up so moving out the deadwood could give a few other a chance at least in the cups.

I believe you are right about that. I'll shamelessly point to the write-up I did in the Development thread a few weeks back going through what we have in the Academy and Development squad.

The last post on this page: http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/u-18-u-21-loans-development-squad.283/page-134

Last edited:

If I take we sell column I think these might be realistic fees:

Friedel - retires
Chiriches - 7m
Kaboul - 2m
Paulinho 8m
Lennon 6m
Holtby 3m
Stambouli 4m
Capoue 4m
Adebayor 5m
Soldado 8m
Ceballos 0,5m

in sum 47,5 m..

Last edited:
We potentially have Pritchard, Alli, Onomah, Winks, Carter-Vickers, Yedlin and Walker-Peters ready to join the squad, and Pochettino's been vocally committing to our youth. Either several of these guys are getting loans, or we may only see 1-2 non-striker transfers in summer.

I think we'll have a large number of young players not needing to be registered who will get a look in through the League and FA cups, but aside from Timo Werner and the cheaper of either Charlie Austin or Danny Ings, I can't really see who we will be bringing in. We need a good CM, and ideally a good winger. I get the impression though that the club may be content to let our current young players grow into those roles, rather than buying for a "right now" push at the top-4, given the language coming out of both Levy and Pochettino.

You are definately in the ballpark. Can see like many of us the "outs" to be around 8-10. It will be a big job to get them out, depends upon Levy taking less than others want to pay.
Many thankz for the commentary on players, another yr of transition hey !!!!

Back
Top Bottom