Timo Werner

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree.

The one thing we can all universally agree on is:
1) In front of goal he was shit - he missed absolute sitters.
2) He's not a world-beater.

What he is is an effective forward. More importantly, what he is good at is running in behind oppo and pressing. He will cause oppo defences problems. I like the fact that he has something to prove and that it's been reported that he absolutely wants to be here and given this opportunity.

I've made the analogy to Nunez at Liverpool (not making any parallels player for player - just how they affect the team dynamic - but it's useful as BOTH are absolutely woeful finishers, and as such fans and media obsess about this rather than look at their positive contributions). As a defender I would hate to play against Nunez, every game I see him play he's turning the oppo, making runs off the ball and pressing the fuck out of the defence not giving them a second on the ball. This creates problems and those problems have been exploited by other players in the team (he's on 0.88 G/A per 90 less than Werner by a fraction).

If he doesn't work out then we bin him off having only paid his salary for 6 months (Nunez, who I would probably call a success at Liverpool despite his inability to score and add more assists cost LFC €70m!).

More than that wasn’t it? £85m for basically a young Welbeck

Thomas Muller Bundesliga GIF by FC Bayern Munich

This will definitely do Werner’s hamstring

More than that wasn’t it? £85m for basically a young Welbeck
I still think he adds a lot to how they play, I never rated Welbeck (probably due to my negative bias of him being at Woolwich - that said didn't think he was all that at Utd). Basically, I love 70% of what he does, the 30% he's shit at is the final pass or sticking the ball in the net. But still gets enough shots and final balls off for his numbers to stack up despite the high % he misses.

But I think the similarities between Ange and Klopp are on show here, it's not so much about the individual player - the media and fans always focus on this hence the ribbing, but take that out both managers find ways to exploit their player's strengths rather than their weaknesses.

I'm still projecting these positives that Werner has without knowing if Ange can exploit them, I've also not seen him play since he left Chelsea but I'm certainly more positive about his signing because I believe in what Ange is doing rather than what the individual characteristics of the player, if that makes sense.

Both play as wide forwards

Almost certain Timo Werner was playing upfront for Chelsea at that time and not as a wide forward at all.

They’re completely different players. Werner was racking up 14xG without pens because he aimed to be in and around goal so much, Saka plays a lot wider.

Back
Top Bottom