Tony Pulis on cheating

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

he reckons cheating is a disease in football caused by bloody foreigners

but while he may have a point about the prevalence of diving and feigning injury, these are not the only ways of cheating or cynically gaining advantage in football and his Stoke side have proved expert at many of the other "dark arts"

all cynical foul play is cheating Mr Pulis, deliberate handballs, fouling off the ball, not even mentioning pushing the limits of physicality/violence, any deliberate foul is cheating really, and I can't remember a game where I saw more foul play and cheating than in the 2nd half of our match against Stoke.

I'm not saying that Stoke shouldn't play a physical brand of football if they want, but Pulis is a hypocrite if he thinks his side's cynical foul play isn't cheating.

The guy is a joke.

He comes out publicly going all high and mighty saying he doesn't criticise referee's etc.

Next thing we know he's sending them videos of supposed 'wrong' decisions.

I did used to have a bit of respect for Stoke and how they didn't care about the style of play and the physical game, mainly because it really pissed the gooners off, but now I cannot stand them(Pulis) at all.

even the stuff that isn't actually cheating but is just so cynical is ridiculous, like the pitch being reduced to the minimum allowed size, the guy having a towel-thing sewn into his jersey, etc..

fuck 'em, I wouldn't be disappointed if a blatant dive to win a penalty allowed them dirty foreigners to knock his team out

Funkapuss said:
he reckons cheating is a disease in football caused by bloody foreigners
With his tracksuit, cap, and meticulous grooming, Pulis always reminds me of a suburban crypto-fascist. The kind of guy who gets a bit too excited at his kids' football matches, but saves the real emotional outburst for the privacy of his home, where he has untrammeled access to an "antique German" paddle he bought off eBay that he can take to his underperforming 10 year old midfielders.

The model tory pillar of the community who shovels his considerable salary into funding various hate groups that sow discontent in council estates a world away.

The smiling patron of the small suburban shop who is always gracious (but never jokey) with the cashier, regardless of his national origin, but immediately assumes the worst should any youth come in who does not meet his rigorous cultural norms.

Etc.

I'm not saying Pulis is these things. I'm saying that when I look at him, this is what my imagination tells me about him.

(Watch he ends up being a trotskyist keeping the naxalites in clover)

The likes of Messi ride about 4 or 5 fouls before scoring; the foul seems to be accepted when the other footballer is better. One match I saw him score a hat-trick (standard) but he should have had about 3 or 4 penalties as well. It's just no one talks about it, he's given up appealing and would rather continue playing on because he has learnt to dodge the tackle (it is expected of him) so the resulting foul looks harmless. He knows he is good, they know he is good, but he also knows that they know he is good and can react to it. Once the opposition players realise this mindset and overcome the intimidation Pulis sets out, he is stumped in his tactics and resorts to shooting the messenger for the bad news.

I see Bale as the same as Messi/Ronaldo. He knows the other player is going to foul him, so anticipates it and dives. It is a cuntish thing to do, and it is why I despised C.Ronaldo, but it's also an important part of a player's development. He's protecting himself because the refs won't do it away at Stoke in an intimidating atmosphere. Once he learns how to keep the ball after being fouled he will be unstoppable. Modric is probably the best at it in our team, or perhaps even Ledley. They read everything before it happens on another level and don't need to resort to cheating back.

Francis Lee won 13 penalties in a season, I'm fairly certain he represented England in the 1970 World Cup.......

HyNdZee said:
The likes of Messi ride about 4 or 5 fouls before scoring; the foul seems to be accepted when the other footballer is better. One match I saw him score a hat-trick (standard) but he should have had about 3 or 4 penalties as well. It's just no one talks about it, he's given up appealing and would rather continue playing on because he has learnt to dodge the tackle (it is expected of him) so the resulting foul looks harmless. He knows he is good, they know he is good, but he also knows that they know he is good and can react to it. Once the opposition players realise this mindset and overcome the intimidation Pulis sets out, he is stumped in his tactics and resorts to shooting the messenger for the bad news.

I see Bale as the same as Messi/Ronaldo. He knows the other player is going to foul him, so anticipates it and dives. It is a cuntish thing to do, and it is why I despised C.Ronaldo, but it's also an important part of a player's development. He's protecting himself because the refs won't do it away at Stoke in an intimidating atmosphere. Once he learns how to keep the ball after being fouled he will be unstoppable. Modric is probably the best at it in our team, or perhaps even Ledley. They read everything before it happens on another level and don't need to resort to cheating back.

pretty much agree with everything you said here

I think Bale's diving can be directly traced back to last year's incidents at Everton when he injured his back after a bad tackle from Neville who had been fouling him all game, and the Charlie Adam incident at Blackpool, neither incidents even received yellow cards if I remember right? ever since then I've noticed Bale getting much more cynical (or clever if you like) and I don't really like it tbh, but I see where it's coming from and why he's started doing it much more.

agree about Modric too, he does go over a bit easy at times but vastly outnumbered by the amount of fouls he rides too

I think Tony Pulis sings from a similar songsheet to John Terry if I'm being particularly cynical about him... he's always been very Jingoistic (similar to Neil Warnock, and - whisper it - Harry on occasions!)

The type of guy who can't help but sound a little bit racist and bitter about ANYTHING vaguely connected with 'foreign' success!

Not sure if I've missed something here? Pulis seems to be talking about diving, which is generally hated by English supporters but seen as part of the art of a clever footballer in some other countries.

If I've missed something fair enough, but if not, what's all the talk of racism about? From it's earliest days, English football has been suspicious of behaviour it would deem as "unmanly". Often to the detriment of English football, for example, passing was seen as a last resort here while the rest of the world crafted it into an art form. But despite whether I want to feel it or not, I can't fucking stand seeing a grown man dive, whereas maybe if I grew up in Spain, I'd view it differently.

There are no referees when playing on the streets of Spain either mate. They go in hard too, but they just play with a shitload more skill. The Spanish fans hate diving as much as any other set; I watched their World Cup game against Chile with them and can testament to that. I find the examples of diving tend to be related to the success of the team. The Spanish get picked out because they've won two major trophies in a row, before that it was the Italians, before that the French, before that the Germans, the Argentinians, and the list goes on...

I don't think it is racist to think that the English have higher morals on the diving issue - how people even consider being English as a race is beyond me. But it is an incredibly ignorant opinion to think that diving was some foreign invention more respected by some foreigners. The example that Thelonious gives is all you need to look up really. Actually, I remember cheating to win a free-kick as a kid in a match before I'd even heard of the diving concept from abroad. And I was raised Church of England, white, middle-class, amongst many other cuntish stereotypes. It just doesn't take a genius to work out that a ref is more likely to give a free-kick the worse the foul looks and it can be done with most manliness still intact (i.e without the extra rolls).

English football has provided so many hospital passes down the years you'd be a fool not to have anticipated a few, even in it's earliest days. They are fine lines in my opinion.

S.L.R said:
Not sure if I've missed something here? Pulis seems to be talking about diving, which is generally hated by English supporters but seen as part of the art of a clever footballer in some other countries.

If I've missed something fair enough, but if not, what's all the talk of racism about? From it's earliest days, English football has been suspicious of behaviour it would deem as "unmanly". Often to the detriment of English football, for example, passing was seen as a last resort here while the rest of the world crafted it into an art form. But despite whether I want to feel it or not, I can't fucking stand seeing a grown man dive, whereas maybe if I grew up in Spain, I'd view it differently.

Right, so do you think Stoke are the standard for fair play in football then? I think they're a bunch of cheating cunts and Pulis is a hypocrite.

Funkapuss said:
I think they're a bunch of cheating cunts and Pulis is a hypocrite.
Hardly. Pulis's point is that there's an English way to cheat and a continental way to cheat. Stoke practise the former. The immigrant teams the latter.

The English way would be called "gamesmanship", I suspect.

:walker:

as much as i hate diving, i hate players going out to deliberatly injure their opponants. so pulis might not send out divers, but he sends out animals who constantly foul and often injure players. whats worse ?
and the cunts only saying players dive against stoke so stoke can get a couple of dirty fouls in on the cheap, he got his psychology off fergie and use's it to cheat in a different style, thats all.
IF we do stevenage and get a through the next round, i'd fucking love stoke on that big wembley pitch.

To play the number of games we have in Europe, to go all over Europe - and sometimes, in my mind, just outside Europe, and I've been caned for that - but tonight we had a right go.

Not really about cheating, this. I suppose he means Turkey and Israel (or just one of the two). I get his point. If he's already been "caned" for it, why mention it again? Just to be a prick? To "prove" some kind of point that you won't be silenced when you utter truths that may be politically unfashionable?

Does the world really need to know what Tony Pulis thinks about what constitutes "Europe"?

NO1JIB said:
as much as i hate diving, i hate players going out to deliberatly injure their opponants. so pulis might not send out divers, but he sends out animals who constantly foul and often injure players. whats worse ?
and the cunts only saying players dive against stoke so stoke can get a couple of dirty fouls in on the cheap, he got his psychology off fergie and use's it to cheat in a different style, thats all.

spot on mate

Éperons said:
To play the number of games we have in Europe, to go all over Europe - and sometimes, in my mind, just outside Europe, and I've been caned for that - but tonight we had a right go.

Not really about cheating, this. I suppose he means Turkey and Israel (or just one of the two). I get his point. If he's already been "caned" for it, why mention it again? Just to be a prick? To "prove" some kind of point that you won't be silenced when you utter truths that may be politically unfashionable?

Does the world really need to know what Tony Pulis thinks about what constitutes "Europe"?

he's just a bit of a prick isn't he?

he might have a point about Israel but there's blindingly fucking obvious reasons why they play in Europe and not against their nearest neighbours

but Turkey IS in Europe!?

When I found out Israel was in UEFA a million years ago, I said, "oh, that's unexpected, but ok" and moved on. Sort of never came up again. So even without caring specifically what the details of his point is, or without needing to discuss or agree with him, again, who the fuck cares what Pulis thinks about Europe, and why does he think anyone does?

Prick.

Back
Top Bottom